Motor & gearbox for Connoisseur J70 kit

stewartingram

A little while back I was fortuanate enough to purchase one of these loco kits in 4mm. Having done the basic body construction, I'm now looking to get the bits in stock for the chassis, However the instructions suggest  a Branchlines Mashima 9/16, with a 38/1 ML gearbox.

I cannot find a source of supply for these; can anyone suggest alternatives? I'm certainly after good low speed running rather than anything fast.

Also, I picked up a D&S kit for the Wisbech & Upwell coaches (1x 4-wheel, 1x bogie) at Warley, these require 10.5mm dia wheels. Should they be spoked or disc, and where might I get them?

Stewart

When I build mine, Stewart, I'll put a BullAnt in it. Not cheap (although the exchange rate may have moved in our favour recently) but the two Sentinels I've done with one will both pull the wall out of a house and run superbly.

Page 2 of my workbench about half way down and I built another a short time later.

I'll have to dig out the emails to be absolutely sure, but it was a BullAnt, 26mm wheelbase (?), fixed batwing mount which screwed into the sides of the Sentinel, belt drive - makes it very quiet - Mashima 1020 and flywheel. Wheelbase and size of wheel will vary. I'll probably just use an 0-4-0 under my J70 even though it ought to be an 0-6-0.

You don't strictly speaking need it to be able to pull this well, but it's great for showing off with:

sentinel_thurston_zps96f052da.jpg

Paul WIllis, Deputy Chairman of S4 Society built one, and I know he used one of the High Level 108:1 boxes with a Mashima motor, I think a 1020. I've got one to build and that's certainly what I'll be using, although I'm not certain I'll also be doing the CSB chassis that Paul did!

Phil

Stewart,

You could try a Steam Era Black Beetle.  These are like the Tenshodo Spuds, but better quality and last longer.  I think they are available in the UK from Branchlines.

I have tried a couple of times to win a set of D&S Wisbech & Upwell coaches on Ebay, but alas they go beyond what I was willing to pay.  Maybe one day I will get a set.  All the best with it.

I have a Nu-cast kit of the J70 which I picked up from a deceased estate for GBP 10/A$20 apx, so may use the black beetle under that.

Mark in OZ

Hi Jonathan,

I think they work together, as I see them at exhibitions here in Oz on the same stand.  Not sure regarding Hollywood foundry making them though.  The BB may also be available from Hollywood foundry.  Haven't looked at their website for a long while.

I should also say I have a Bachmann HO Toby (J70) which has been detailed to look like a J70 as I only picked up the Nu-cast kit recently.

Mark

Archived