K3 passenger brake vans (Dean)

Hi all,

As you may have seen from my Porth Dinllaen thread, I'm restoring/resuscitating a Dean K3 PBV.

Haven't found any pix so far in my books, or online (apart from one sold in ebay, and referred to as a K15 which it isn't), so would be grateful if anyone can point me at anything that might inform my painting & lettering.

Thanks

Simon

post-20369-0-94668500-1417971533_thumb.jpg

There were a few articles in Model Railway Constructor

40' Brake Vans - MRC 6/67, 8/67, 9/67
K2/3/4/14/15/16 and derivatives

40' Brake Van - MRC 11/79, 1/80
Dia K3

We put a bunch of coach references together in this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/22238-gwr-coaches/

Also, there is a nice drawing of a K3 in Russell Vol.1, but no photo.

Edit: of the MRC articles, the most useful appear to be 6/67, which describes liveries, and 11/79 which has photos of K2s (8/67 has a photo of a K2 in late '20s livery, but that is duplicated in 11/79). 1/80 is just a postscript to the 11/79 article with a couple of scrap end drawings, and 8/67 and 9/67 deal with the later 40' PBVs.

Adrian

The leading vehicle in the 'corridor train' shown in Harris p.39 is, I believe, a K4.  The double doors in the two large compartments are nearer the ends of the van, with only four panels between them and the ends of the vehicle.

For anyone interested in this train, there is a detailed description, with diagrams and the same photo as in Harris, in 'The Engineer' dated 15th April 1892, which can be downloaded from http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/0/08/Er18920415.pdf

Mike

I would agree that it is a K4. The K2 and K3 were similar, with six panels, where, as Mike points out, the K4 had four. As you are modelling the early '30s, you can probably use either overall brown or brown and cream (with or without panel lining - depends on when it was last painted) as I have seen photographic evidence of the 40' PBVs (K14s) in both liveries in the '30s (in 'The Great Western Railway in the 1930s')

Adrian

GWR in the 30's

vol 1 - photo 104 - 40' van, look-outs removed - 4 pairs of doors - was it a K13-5?

Vol 2 photo 224 - similar

photo 218 - 40' van with two sets of double doors - caption indicates van number 1082-4

Photo 193 - another van with look-outs removed - gives change details as K4 to K30

Great Western Gallery

Pg 19 - looks like a K4 in brown

pg 22 - looks like a K4 in cream & brown

Can't find a K3....

Best

Simon

GWR in the 30's

vol 1 - photo 104 - 40' van, look-outs removed - 4 pairs of doors - was it a K13-5?

photo 218 - 40' van with two sets of double doors - caption indicates van number 1082-4

Photo 193 - another van with look-outs removed - gives change details as K4 to K30

If the vans were identifiable, the identification would be in the listings at the back of each volume. I think they are mostly listed as K14+.

Adrian

GWR in the 30's

Great Western Gallery

Pg 19 - looks like a K4 in brown

pg 22 - looks like a K4 in cream & brown

Can't find a K3....

Best

Simon

Hi Simond

I have just added two articles in my Data section (click on the link below Modelling Data) which you may find helpful, these are from MRC Feb 77 (2 pages) and MRC Nov 79 (5 pages) the quality is not very good but it should give you an insight as whether you look for these two publications.

These articles were scanned a long time ago when scanners were not that good, if I come across these or any others I have that need redoing then I'll re-issue in my Modelling Data page.

Dave

Hi Simond

I have just added two articles in my Data section (click on the link below Modelling Data) which you may find helpful, these are from MRC Feb 77 (2 pages) and MRC Nov 79 (5 pages) the quality is not very good but it should give you an insight as whether you look for these two publications.

These articles were scanned a long time ago when scanners were not that good, if I come across these or any others I have that need redoing then I'll re-issue in my Modelling Data page.

Dave

Very interesting - especially the 'K3 Mystery' article.  If that is correct, there was only one K3 (No.897) but several different 'versions' of K2.  The 'K3' drawing in Russell's GW Coaches part 1 is, apparently, a vehicle that never existed.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help!

The K3 has been repainted, transferred, and now awaits a touch of airbrush weathering - It's already partially weathered but needs some track grime spreading upwards. I want it to appear really quite old and faded, so the gold lining (gel pen) is pretty thin. The target will be "15 or more years since last painted".

I'd hoped for more consistency with the gel pens, but they seem rather variable. For a hi-fidelity approach, see Heather Kay's broad gauge coach build on WT.

The roof handrails took a couple of goes to get reasonable. The black frame paint is actually Sharpie marker pen. Transfers from HMRS.

Lighting is two GoW on a bit of Vero, with backscratchers on one bogie. Probably should have gone for both bogies to stop the flickering...

post-20369-0-99998700-1423425533_thumb.jpg

post-20369-0-20064400-1423425575_thumb.jpg

Best

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help!

The K3 has been repainted, transferred, and now awaits a touch of airbrush weathering - It's already partially weathered but needs some track grime spreading upwards. I want it to appear really quite old and faded, so the gold lining (gel pen) is pretty thin. The target will be "15 or more years since last painted".

I'd hoped for more consistency with the gel pens, but they seem rather variable. For a hi-fidelity approach, see Heather Kay's broad gauge coach build on WT.

The roof handrails took a couple of goes to get reasonable. The black frame paint is actually Sharpie marker pen. Transfers from HMRS.

I don't think the GWR at that period would let stock go for 15 years without some sort of repaint, but even so the roof by that time would have weathered to very sooty grey – not just dirt, there was a chemical reaction going on between the white lead and atmospheric sulphur.

Richard

Fair point - I simply don't know.

I wanted it to look "old and relegated to non-passenger duties", maybe I'm pushing the bounds of credibility. Hopefully a dose of weathering will hide a multitude of sins.

Not painting it again... :)

Archived