D600 (class 41) wheel question

Beatty 139

Hi Hydraulic experts, over tea today at a get together I was talking to a chap who's not on the internet but is building a G1 class 41, as he understands it the wheels for the center axle of each bogie was smaller than the driven one, but the specific question he had was did it have 11 spokes as the driven wheel (so he was told) or 10 as he has been told.

I said I would post a question on his behalf.

I will try and have a look in my hydraulic library this evening to see if I can find out. The centre wheels were definitely smaller but I would need to check for exact details.

PM me if I do not repost to this thread in the next few days.

Hi Hydraulic experts, over tea today at a get together I was talking to a chap who's not on the internet but is building a G1 class 41, as he understands it the wheels for the center axle of each bogie was smaller than the driven one, but the specific question he had was did it have 11 spokes as the driven wheel (so he was told) or 10 as he has been told.

I've had a look at several sources in my possession with the following results.

(1) A BR weight diagram published in 1962 shows both driving and carrying wheels as 10 spoke

(2) Mike Sharman's book 'Wheel Specifications for the Modeller' likewise shows 10 spoke for both wheels sizes.

(3) Study of a number of photos does seem to suggest 10 spoke all round.

The following must be pointed out though:

(1) The BR weight diagrams are, whilst pretty accurate in most respects, not totally infallible. However checking several other diagrams for locos with spoked wheels such as class 21 and 22 and the North British built Bo-Bo type 1's the others match both published sources and photographs.

(2) Mike Sharman's book is very usefull but does contain a few errors in some places.

(3) Study of wheels in photographs is always rather difficult - particularly diesels - but in the absence of the real thing is the best we have got.

The above is offered in good faith but without a guarantee - however if it was me building the model I'd accept the findings I have for my model.

I do in fact have models (in 4mm) of all 5 of these lovely loco (Silver Fox bodies on Hornby chassis) that have been posted on RMWeb earlier this year but these are fitted with disk wheels as per the Hornby chassis.

However I hope the above might help.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

The official diagram (DH/4100/1) for D6XX shows the diameter of the centre carrying wheels as 3ft 3.5" while the driven wheels are show as 3ft 7".  There is a clear difference in axlebox horizontal centre lines as a consequence but as there is no scale on the diagram I don't know the dimension, the diagram does not give any information on the number of spokes

Archived