11t Hibberd Planet

I was just wondering what the official haulage capacity for these little engines were? I lived opposite the Rom River steel reinforcement factory in Witham, and they used one for shunting trains of bogie steel carriers. They must have used it for hauling at least eight loaded bogie wagons which must have made it quite overloaded. I am not surprised they had reliability problems with it - I heard stories of them bribing the BR driver of the class 31 that brought the train in to go beyond the BR boundary and shunt it for them, which must have been quite a risk since the track was not that great. It was eventually replaced by a much bigger 0-6-0 chain drive locomotive and unfortunately the planet was cut up on site, although it was probably well knackered and was just being put out of its misery! However they stopped using rail shortly after so the 0-6-0 locomotive did not see much use, and presumably was sold on.

This is the only picture I can find of the poor tortured locomotive:

26070.jpg

Edited by Titan

I was just wondering what the official haulage capacity for these little engines were? I lived opposite the Rom River steel reinforcement factory in Witham, and they used one for shunting trains of bogie steel carriers. They must have used it for hauling at least eight loaded bogie wagons which must have made it quite overloaded. I am not surprised they had reliability problems with it - I heard stories of them bribing the BR driver of the class 31 that brought the train in to go beyond the BR boundary and shunt it for them, which must have been quite a risk since the track was not that great. It was eventually replaced by a much bigger 0-6-0 chain drive locomotive and unfortunately the planet was cut up on site, although it was probably well knackered and was just being put out of its misery! However they stopped using rail shortly after so the 0-6-0 locomotive did not see much use, and presumably was sold on.

Poor little Planet!

The 0-6-0DM (Kerr Stuart 4421 of 1929) is now on the Foxfield Railway.  It was transferred from Rom's Trent Valley Works at Lichfield and returned there after the rail operation ceased at Witham.

Poor little Planet!

The 0-6-0DM (Kerr Stuart 4421 of 1929) is now on the Foxfield Railway.  It was transferred from Rom's Trent Valley Works at Lichfield and returned there after the rail operation ceased at Witham.

I had no idea how old that loco was, compared to the Planet it looked positively modern! I think they might have given it a coat of paint before it arrived at Witham as it did look very tidy at the time.

• 6 years later...