Bottom of Braysdown Incline - layout

As I recall, the OPC "Illustrated Survey of SDJR" has a good plan of the site....

Yes, it does have a plan and signal diagram, but photos only of the Writhlington side. However, there is much more detail with plans at different dates, including the inccline, in Chris Handley's Radstock Coal & Steam vol 2. There are no signs of any wagon turntables. At first, the incline curved into the sidings, then from 1883, the incline ran into the screens over the sidings.

Coal winding and the need for the sidings ceased in 1956, though underground work continued until 1959 with coal wound out through Lower Writhlington. The sidings were lifted in 1962.

Nick

ps. "Historical Survey", not "Illustrated Survey".

I would concur with Nick. Most photos of the location tend to show the Writhlington side, perhaps because that was where most of the activity took place in BR days.  I don't recall seeing much about the Braysdown side in publications. I would suggest that, if it is not in one of Chris Handley's books, then you may have to search a lot to find anything elsewhere.

+

Thank you for the responses.

I have both the OPC Judge & Potts book and Chris Handley's Vol. 2

I recognise that there is a pic' of wooden dillies and also question

how they made the transfer for the return trip on the higher level

Somewhere I have seen a standard gauge steel wagon on a dual incline in

the area and am obviously confused.

My layout is Writhlington set in a corner with the full loop and dual passing siding

to feed and collect from the pit head. I find there is room for the Braysdown sidings

out on the front of the scene. I am attempting the post-1913 track plan to fit my era

of the change in liveries c1930.

I never expected 6 years ago, when I started, that I would be drawn into

producing 3D printed Sheave wheels and a model of 25a - all by happenstance

and those interested that I have met.

Noel

>>>I am attempting the post-1913 track plan to fit my era of the change in liveries c1930.

Bear in mind that the slip connection from the Down sidings to the Up line was removed in 1917, so really you need a later plan than just ''post 1913' in order to do c1930.

+

Currently for an end-to-end layout it is convenient to keep the slip shown

by the Writhlington Sidings. The crossover opposite Braysdown is modeled.

Over the years I have been collecting local PO Wagons and the choice of

location was to get them on the rails. I have placed the running as c1930 to

allow for RTR LMS locos. It is difficult, without having to build locos for the

period, to be exactly correct.

I have also modeled the reverse loop on the Radstock side of Writhlington to

add interest in running. The layout is moveable for local shows, and lends itself

to plenty of action with maybe 3 operators running DCC.

Radstock side has a half-length table with a cross over from down to up, also

to deal with end-to-end running/ transition - will be replaced with a fiddle yard table.
The scene currently disappears into a tunnel mouth. Wellow end disappears behind

the line of trees running down the Shoescombe Lane hill.

Current work is to gimble the main table to work on the underside.

Single handed, I am into my 7th year - with major diversions!

Noel

post-12739-0-96280600-1419015548_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

On the S&C thread, it was suggested recently that it would be possible to assemble a layout showing all the locations on the route as they have probably all been modelled. I wonder if the same might not be true of the S&D. This is certainly one of the more unlikely locations to model (difficult shape to accommodate) but a very interesting one.

I saw a very good model of Writhlington a few years ago on the exhibition circuit, but it was viewed from the Braysdown side and therefore omitted the incline. I wonder if any one has done Winsor Hill ? - a legitimate excuse for that old modeller's favourite of a tunnel to mask the fiddle yard :-)

Now, if somebody came out with Wimborne Junction........ :locomotive:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived