RMweb

A Pre-Christmas present to myself - Now containing a Lion!

peter220950

I saw this advertised on e-bay a couple of days ago and thought it might be worth a punt.

post-18627-0-79943400-1419022622_thumb.jpg

It was listed as a non runner, and looks like either a works return or one of the factory sell off’s that Heljan occasionally offload. In addition to being listed as a non-runner it looked as if the buffer beams and buffers were missing, and I assumed a few other issues would be lurking. However, with new motors available at under £30.00 each, and having some bits and pieces for converting another Big Big one, I thought that at worst it would cost around £75.00 to put right and put in a bid to reflect this. It looks like an ex-Tower Models one, being all green, which also suited me.

Much to my surprise I got it for £228.00 (including postage) and with great efficiency Hermes dropped it off today. Given that the PRMRP conversion kit for a twim motored conversion of a Big-Big is £183.90, plus paint, transfers, and a lot of work, it seemed a reasonable start.

First impressions were good, I hadn’t noticed, but it’s no great problem, that there are a couple of handrails missing, together with the lifting rings on the roof, and lifting the body off the lighting had been taken out. No great problem as I have a load of suitable led’s and plenty of nickel silver wire.

post-18627-0-48243200-1419021774_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-60003300-1419021778_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-93760600-1419021780_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-06302700-1419021768_thumb.jpg

On then to the non-runner aspect, a splash of 12v across the wheels had both bogies running, which was great news, as it would be DCC fitted so the PCB would be binned anyway, if that was the problem.

What I did notice was that on each bogie a set of wheels was stationary, lifting the bottom plate of the first bogie showed up the dreaded broken gear that seems to be a design fault,

post-18627-0-31717000-1419021770_thumb.jpg

the second bogie looked o.k. but closer inspection showed a small crack and similar problem.

post-18627-0-23787500-1419021772_thumb.jpg

A replacement pair are now on order, and should see it running in the New Year.

On then to the body, the Hymek spares box was raided for an old body, which had an upgrade kit fitted which included front and rear buffer beam valances,

post-18627-0-02191700-1419021783_thumb.jpg

these were eased off and cleaned up, fettled a bit, and put together with some buffers also bought for the Big-Big, which would no longer be required.

post-18627-0-12577600-1419021785_thumb.jpg

I have taken the roof fan motor out as on my other one, because it makes such a racket, this will probably be replaced with a computer fan when it’s chipped.

post-18627-0-64042700-1419021776_thumb.jpg

So with a bit of work making new handrails and roof lifting rings, the fitting and painting of buffer beams and valances, a coat of paint to the new bits, and fitting £5.00 worth of cogs, I think I came out on the right size of the deal.

As the bits arrive in the New Year I will post further pics of the repairs and final result.

Sometimes a bet does pay off, though what I would have done if it was a complete lemon I don’t know.

And as for the box of old bits, now I have a converted Big-Big and two Heljan 35’s I don’t need the remaining bodies so I must find something to do with them hmmmmm

I wonder…………………………………………………………………….

post-18627-0-59235500-1419021766_thumb.jpg

But more of that another day.

Edited by peter220950
  • Like 12

I saw this advertised on e-bay a couple of days ago and thought it might be worth a punt.

attachicon.gifhymek.JPG

It was listed as a non runner, and looks like either a works return or one of the factory sell off’s that Heljan occasionally offload. In addition to being listed as a non-runner it looked as if the buffer beams and buffers were missing, and I assumed a few other issues would be lurking. However, with new motors available at under £30.00 each, and having some bits and pieces for converting another Big Big one, I thought that at worst it would cost around £75.00 to put right and put in a bid to reflect this. It looks like an ex-Tower Models one, being all green, which also suited me.

Much to my surprise I got it for £228.00 (including postage) and with great efficiency Hermes dropped it off today. Given that the PRMRP conversion kit for a twim motored conversion of a Big-Big is £183.90, plus paint, transfers, and a lot of work, it seemed a reasonable start.

First impressions were good, I hadn’t noticed, but it’s no great problem, that there are a couple of handrails missing, together with the lifting rings on the roof, and lifting the body off the lighting had been taken out. No great problem as I have a load of suitable led’s and plenty of nickel silver wire.

attachicon.gifDSCF3349.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF3352.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF3354.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF3336.jpg

On then to the non-runner aspect, a splash of 12v across the wheels had both bogies running, which was great news, as it would be DCC fitted so the PCB would be binned anyway, if that was the problem.

What I did notice was that on each bogie a set of wheels was stationary, lifting the bottom plate of the first bogie showed up the dreaded broken gear that seems to be a design fault,

attachicon.gifDSCF3340.jpg

the second bogie looked o.k. but closer inspection showed a small crack and similar problem.

attachicon.gifDSCF3342.jpg

A replacement pair are now on order, and should see it running in the New Year.

On then to the body, the Hymek spares box was raided for an old body, which had an upgrade kit fitted which included front and rear buffer beam valances,

attachicon.gifDSCF3355.jpg

these were eased off and cleaned up, fettled a bit, and put together with some buffers also bought for the Big-Big, which would no longer be required.

attachicon.gifDSCF3363.jpg

I have taken the roof fan motor out as on my other one, because it makes such a racket, this will probably be replaced with a computer fan when it’s chipped.

attachicon.gifDSCF3350.jpg

So with a bit of work making new handrails and roof lifting rings, the fitting and painting of buffer beams and valances, a coat of paint to the new bits, and fitting £5.00 worth of cogs, I think I came out on the right size of the deal.

As the bits arrive in the New Year I will post further pics of the repairs and final result.

Sometimes a bet does pay off, though what I would have done if it was a complete lemon I don’t know.

And as for the box of old bits, now I have a converted Big-Big and two Heljan 35’s I don’t need the remaining bodies so I must find something to do with them hmmmmm

I wonder…………………………………………………………………….

attachicon.gifDSCF3371.jpg

But more of that another day.

Hi,

Looks like a nice project.

Strangely enough I replied to Giles et al. re split gears too..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81257-mercian-0-4-0-0-4-0-garratt-Heljan-37/page-3

The problem is a lot more widespread than the press and Heljan would have us believe - sadly not reported often enough IMHO (interesting though that the issue has cropped up 3 times today).

It seems like PRMRP now do the conversion kits with gears, motors and all, which rather jacks the price up, I have purchased one or two as second-hand but 'as new' as well as new from Nigel Stanley and PRMRP as just the conversion kits on their own, with the Cl33 version I have used very few parts from them to date LOL.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Nice to see someone else is kit bashing Heljan & Triang 7mm stuff here Peter :) :sungum:

I was watching that Hymek too....but I probably have too many anyway  :dontknow:  

Interesting idea about Lion, I have had the similar idea regarding Falcon, but it would seem Heljan have pi##ed on my bonfire  :scratchhead: 

Keep up the good work!! :)

Phill  :locomotive: 

Nice to see someone else is kit bashing Heljan & Triang 7mm stuff here Peter

Thanks for the kind words Phil,

The Big-Big Hymek does make up into quite a good loco, it's a pity I found out the roof grille was offset after I built it, but I found a spare JLRT roof in the bits box at Telford,

post-18627-0-60335000-1419083130_thumb.jpg

so I may yet give it a 'proper' roof, as CME notes the conversion kits are often found at swapmeets, I think my loco cost less than £100 all in.

post-18627-0-49775300-1419082968_thumb.jpg

I'm not at all fussy whose products I abuse I've got a couple of Lima Mk1's in for a kicking at present, widening and raising, one with Easybuild windows and the other with the back of the windows taken out with a router, which seems to help the look a bit.

post-18627-0-91529500-1419082995_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-08492600-1419082994_thumb.jpg

And as for the Cl33 - the lengths some people will go to to get a few extra milimetres. :training:

post-18627-0-38344000-1419083035_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-16715200-1419083033_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-85478000-1419083073_thumb.jpg

Thank heavens for the Heljan spares from Howes, the chassis rails, bogie sides and underframe details are all Heljan.

Interesting idea about Lion, I have had the similar idea regarding Falcon, but it would seem Heljan have pi##ed on my bonfire

Lion certainly seems do-able, from drawings I have, it needs two to get the right length but apart from cab windows having to be pushed out to the level of the sides it's now not far off right for size and profiles. The roof will then get a bash with a Cl33's to get the higher profile and grilles. I picked up some Class 47 bogie sides at some point so it's then just down to power bogies and underframe details. I thought setting some brass strip on the sides, then polishing it up after painting would look quite smart, I think Shawplan or similar do the plates etc. - At least it would be something a bit different, I got the idea when the Hymek was in white primer. :secret:

Edited by peter220950
  • Like 3

Great stuff Peter :)  :good:

I did the opposite end of the Hymek, I picked up a JLTRT Hymek chassis which I mated to a Heljan body to create my first radio controlled Hymek......

post-6992-0-15069900-1419154921_thumb.jpg

I am also a big fan of the Easybuild window etches, I added them to my widened Lima's which already have Three Cee's  sides fitted. I was very happy with the results :)

post-6992-0-59581100-1419155428_thumb.jpg

I didn't lengthen my Lima 33 but I did use parts from a badly built s/h bargain PRMRP loco kit rather than the conversion kit. I also have a Heljan 33 shell & all the parts sprues to make one up in my projects queue :senile:  

post-6992-0-48807200-1419155778_thumb.jpg

I did do a couple of Triang Hymeks, 7017 BFYE & this one D7054 which is pulling a long rake of Triang/Lima wagon chassis mated to Parkside van body's  :secret: 

post-6992-0-12792400-1419156404_thumb.jpg

Lastly (sorry if I'm hijacking your thread) but here's one last one, Triang Big Big stretched MK2's :locomotive: 

post-6992-0-51789300-1419156885_thumb.jpg

All the best

Phill :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 7

Hi Peter,

I too like Phill do like a bit of "cutting and bashing" stuff. I have done the big big cut n shut on the mk2's ( pics to be found on my workbench thread ).

You have some very interesting projects on the go and i will be watching with interest. The " Lion " one is a interseting project which i will keep a close eye on.

Keep up the excellent work.

Regards Rob

• Like 1

Phil,

No worries about hi-jacking any thread of mine, half the fun of the Forum is seeing what else others are doing, and getting inspiration. I keep looking at Mk 2's but I'm not into blue as yet, they do make a nice coach though, perhaps another day when the other 20 or so coaches in the roof are finished! (and the Blue Pullman)

Phil,

I keep looking at Mk 2's but I'm not into blue as yet, they do make a nice coach though, perhaps another day when the other 20 or so coaches in the roof are finished! (and the Blue Pullman)

The Blue Pullman or in my case the Grey Blue Pullman is another 'To Do' on my list.......please tell us more about yours :)

Nice to see someone else is kit bashing Heljan & Triang 7mm stuff here Peter

Thanks for the kind words Phil,

The Big-Big Hymek does make up into quite a good loco, it's a pity I found out the roof grille was offset after I built it, but I found a spare JLRT roof in the bits box at Telford,

attachicon.gifDSCF3374.JPG

so I may yet give it a 'proper' roof, as CME notes the conversion kits are often found at swapmeets, I think my loco cost less than £100 all in.

attachicon.gifDSCF3380.JPG

I'm not at all fussy whose products I abuse I've got a couple of Lima Mk1's in for a kicking at present, widening and raising, one with Easybuild windows and the other with the back of the windows taken out with a router, which seems to help the look a bit.

attachicon.gifDSCF3376.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3377.JPG

And as for the Cl33 - the lengths some people will go to to get a few extra milimetres. :training:

attachicon.gifJPEG Image (1823804).jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF3384.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF3385.JPG

Thank heavens for the Heljan spares from Howes, the chassis rails, bogie sides and underframe details are all Heljan.

Interesting idea about Lion, I have had the similar idea regarding Falcon, but it would seem Heljan have pi##ed on my bonfire

Lion certainly seems do-able, from drawings I have, it needs two to get the right length but apart from cab windows having to be pushed out to the level of the sides it's now not far off right for size and profiles. The roof will then get a bash with a Cl33's to get the higher profile and grilles. I picked up some Class 47 bogie sides at some point so it's then just down to power bogies and underframe details. I thought setting some brass strip on the sides, then polishing it up after painting would look quite smart, I think Shawplan or similar do the plates etc. - At least it would be something a bit different, I got the idea when the Hymek was in white primer. :secret:

Great stuff Peter :)  :good:

I did the opposite end of the Hymek, I picked up a JLTRT Hymek chassis which I mated to a Heljan body to create my first radio controlled Hymek......

attachicon.gif20140422_174454.jpg

I am also a big fan of the Easybuild window etches, I added them to my widened Lima's which already have Three Cee's  sides fitted. I was very happy with the results :)

attachicon.gif20140912_173926-001.jpg

I didn't lengthen my Lima 33 but I did use parts from a badly built s/h bargain PRMRP loco kit rather than the conversion kit. I also have a Heljan 33 shell & all the parts sprues to make one up in my projects queue :senile:  

attachicon.gifXL804571.JPG

I did do a couple of Triang Hymeks, 7017 BFYE & this one D7054 which is pulling a long rake of Triang/Lima wagon chassis mated to Parkside van body's  :secret: 

attachicon.gifGR7-001.JPG

Lastly (sorry if I'm hijacking your thread) but here's one last one, Triang Big Big stretched MK2's :locomotive: 

attachicon.gifGR15-001.JPG

All the best

Phill :)

Hi Guys,

With my Cl33 I wont be going to those lengths - wow! To my mind the width is probably more of an issue, but it depends how far one wants to take the model.

I too like the EZB window etches they are a very useful addition and nicely done too - I like the way you have added them the the 3C's sides Phill.

I have widened and detailed the under-frames on two LIMA Mk1's so far.

Keep up the good work everyone - nice lively discussion with many like minds involved.

Kind regards,

CME

This Post's photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer 2006-2014 etc.

post-11256-0-31444500-1419205547_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-31896500-1419205562_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-81669100-1419205579_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-33561200-1419205591_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-00765900-1419205640_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-13800600-1419206213_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The Blue Pullman or in my case the Grey Blue Pullman is another 'To Do' on my list.......please tell us more about yours :)

Hi Phil,

It's a Westdale set of 6 that I purchased on Flebay some years ago when I was laying down stock for the future, at about £500 it seemed a reasonable deal at the time, and was something we were being promised from JLRT, but seemed to be on an elastic production date. As it turns out it's still not in production, and I couldn't afford the RTR set that was produced. 

Despite my butterfly nature of starting lots of things and skipping between them I have religiously stuck to my view that I would start the Pullman and see it through as a single project, so it's in the roof awaiting completion of lots of other stuff. I have over the years secured a few bits for it, a couple of axle hung motors and wheels etc. but it's still likely to be quite a costly beast if it's to get twin sound chips, and maybe even smoke.

A lot of the other stuff is still Lima bashing and kit bashing, coming from a time when that's all there was. I had said I wouldn't mess with Lima coaches again, as Easybuilds are probably as cheap, and much better, but when I was left 10 I just had to have another go. Initial experiments with the Easybuild polycarbonate windows we not very successful, but the brass etches are great. To do a really cheap conversion I have been experimenting with milling the back out of the body to get closer to a flush glaze. I also have some random JLRT sides bought from the spares box at Telford which have been cut into lots of sections and re-assembled into matching pairs. It's surprising that the Lima sides are pretty much the correct height, and I don't think anyone is likely to spot a 15mm length discrepancy very easily.

Hi Guys,

With my Cl33 I wont be going to those lengths - wow! To my mind the width is probably more of an issue, but it depends how far one wants to take the model.

This Post's photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer 2006-2014 etc.

I still don't think the width was that far out, (I seem to recall I measured it at about 2-3mm?) - It's only really apparent in the centre window on the ends I think. I deliberated long and hard about taking a section out when I did my 'stretch', as most of the roof panelling was re-done, but in the end gave it a miss as the Heljan buffer beams seemed to fit quite well. I do regret not putting the rounded section on the front, above the buffer beam, as I think it's a quick fix that improves the look no end. 

There's another box, like that for Hymek bits, on the shelf, with two or three 33's and lots of Howes Heljan spares in, and I've just picked up some roof grilles to turn one into a 26. Again in the JLRT box at Telford I picked up a pair of 33 ends, so a stretched correct width 33 is still on the cards one day.

Much of this effort is probably wasted, given the ability to buy superior products RTR or better quality kits, but I just like making stuff out of junk, even if it probably ends up costing as much! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Phil,

It's a Westdale set of 6 that I purchased on Flebay some years ago when I was laying down stock for the future, at about £500 it seemed a reasonable deal at the time, and was something we were being promised from JLRT, but seemed to be on an elastic production date. As it turns out it's still not in production, and I couldn't afford the RTR set that was produced. 

Despite my butterfly nature of starting lots of things and skipping between them I have religiously stuck to my view that I would start the Pullman and see it through as a single project, so it's in the roof awaiting completion of lots of other stuff. I have over the years secured a few bits for it, a couple of axle hung motors and wheels etc. but it's still likely to be quite a costly beast if it's to get twin sound chips, and maybe even smoke.

A lot of the other stuff is still Lima bashing and kit bashing, coming from a time when that's all there was. I had said I wouldn't mess with Lima coaches again, as Easybuilds are probably as cheap, and much better, but when I was left 10 I just had to have another go. Initial experiments with the Easybuild polycarbonate windows we not very successful, but the brass etches are great. To do a really cheap conversion I have been experimenting with milling the back out of the body to get closer to a flush glaze. I also have some random JLRT sides bought from the spares box at Telford which have been cut into lots of sections and re-assembled into matching pairs. It's surprising that the Lima sides are pretty much the correct height, and I don't think anyone is likely to spot a 15mm length discrepancy very easily.

I still don't think the width was that far out, (I seem to recall I measured it at about 2-3mm?) - It's only really apparent in the centre window on the ends I think. I deliberated long and hard about taking a section out when I did my 'stretch', as most of the roof panelling was re-done, but in the end gave it a miss as the Heljan buffer beams seemed to fit quite well. I do regret not putting the rounded section on the front, above the buffer beam, as I think it's a quick fix that improves the look no end. 

There's another box, like that for Hymek bits, on the shelf, with two or three 33's and lots of Howes Heljan spares in, and I've just picked up some roof grilles to turn one into a 26. Again in the JLRT box at Telford I picked up a pair of 33 ends, so a stretched correct width 33 is still on the cards one day.

Much of this effort is probably wasted, given the ability to buy superior products RTR or better quality kits, but I just like making stuff out of junk, even if it probably ends up costing as much! 

Tis true the width issue with the Lima Cl 33, is the width of the handrails, plus a bit. I looked to lengthening but didnt trust myself not to damage too many existing details as said, if going that far then there are kits and RTR out there that have the basics there already - I wouldnt say that any of our time is wasted doing cut n shut modifications as to my mind it makes one a better modeller and after all, it is hobby time. I always have to watch the budget vs Cost vs VFM issue, and to a certain extent, resale values too, so the LIMA's may not measure up in the latter regard, but offer good VFM to my mind. My Cl33 project was to be like Richard Dockerill's, yet Richard beat me to it (and I started before him) LOL! I realise that the JLTRT Cl33 isnt 'quite right' for the purists, but looks like a v'nice kit and it would be nice to see the new MMP version too (with a view to building one or another), in the meantime, I shall carry on fettling the two Limas ready for RC. I have put that lower 'lip' on my GSYE version and it looks much more prototypical.

I bought a second hand Hymek earlier this year but I never tested it to see if it worked properly. Your posts concerning the gears suggests I ought get it out and try it!

Paul R

As mentioned elsewhere, even Brian Daniels has had problems, recently, with split gears on his MMP modified Cl47 (I have one to do) - which means removing the MMP side-frames - interesting how several modellers' locos have failed and have come to the fore over the space of a week or so. Now that the new Heljan replacement gears are better - fingers crossed - this will eliminate the problem once and for all.

I have emailed Howes for clarification and I am thinking that I will need to replace all the gear-sets on mine with the modified versions.

ATVB

CME

Hi Phil,

The Blue Pullman sounds great, I really fancy one in it's final livery, but god knows why it would have made down my North Devon branch line???  :scratchhead: ..........mine would be based around Big Big bodgery :O 

I agree that Easy Builds are probably the best option these days, but like you I still enjoy a bit of Lima bashing :senile: 

Phill 

Phill

• Like 1

I bought a second hand Hymek earlier this year but I never tested it to see if it worked properly. Your posts concerning the gears suggests I ought get it out and try it!

Paul R

I have to confess that I ran my other one with one of the motors removed to keep it from stopping the trams in town every time I turned the wick up. It ran perfectly well on one motor, I would think they only really need two if you are running 10 coach trains in the garden for hours on end.

They obviously have tons of power because I foolishly forgot to take the gear train out as well as the motor, this resulted in the wheels of one bogie locking up, and being dragged along. I didn't discover this until several sessions on the Club layout when I found one bogie set had wheels like threepenny bits. A pair of new wheelsets from Howes, and an XL chip has seen the motor re-installed and all is well. 

For small domestic layouts I would suggest they are probably a bit over specced, as with one motor, dragging 2 wheelsets, it still happily managed 5 coaches without anyone noticing for several weeks.

I also wonder if the gearset breakage is something that happened on more recent batches as I wasn't aware of the problem until recently, my first loco being a couple of years old doesn't seem to have suffered, was I just lucky or has there been a change in later batches?

Given the apparent scale of the problem, and the possibility of it recurring it would be worth some enterprising motor/gear manufacturer producing some decent brass ones, Heljan spares tend to come and go a bit.

Phil - were the replacements Heljan from the likes of Howes or some other supplier? Are they easy to change

Paul R

Hi Paul,

Yes I got my replacements from Howes. They are relatively easy to replace, just unscrew the covers on the underneath of the bogies & split the bogies into two halves & pop out the damaged gears & replace.......If in doubt photograph everything as you do it for reference when you put it back together :)

Phill 

• Like 1

Come on CME! :scratchhead: ....... It's about time some of that Lima stuff got finished :tomato:   

Phill  :locomotive:   :)

LOL :triniti:  :butcher:  :sarcastichand:  :mosking:

I have to confess that I ran my other one with one of the motors removed to keep it from stopping the trams in town every time I turned the wick up. It ran perfectly well on one motor, I would think they only really need two if you are running 10 coach trains in the garden for hours on end.

They obviously have tons of power because I foolishly forgot to take the gear train out as well as the motor, this resulted in the wheels of one bogie locking up, and being dragged along. I didn't discover this until several sessions on the Club layout when I found one bogie set had wheels like threepenny bits. A pair of new wheelsets from Howes, and an XL chip has seen the motor re-installed and all is well. 

For small domestic layouts I would suggest they are probably a bit over specced, as with one motor, dragging 2 wheelsets, it still happily managed 5 coaches without anyone noticing for several weeks.

I also wonder if the gearset breakage is something that happened on more recent batches as I wasn't aware of the problem until recently, my first loco being a couple of years old doesn't seem to have suffered, was I just lucky or has there been a change in later batches?

Given the apparent scale of the problem, and the possibility of it recurring it would be worth some enterprising motor/gear manufacturer producing some decent brass ones, Heljan spares tend to come and go a bit.

I know that a few of us have pondered running the HJ locos on one motor with modified gears, most's layouts would only require such. We have also discussed the possibility of a gear manufacturer coming up with replacements, yet the latest batch of HJ replacement gears are supposed to be modified, thus the problem resolved. If gears and mods are required then Markits/Step Dale Products spring to mind. Heljan have stated that there will be gear spares for some time to come. But if there arnt then some could end up with some expensive static models....BTW the gear-set breakages started with the Hymeks and were to have been resolved by the time of the release of the 33's, but they have had gear failures too. As we have note even locos in store have had gears split in their boxes!

Thanks Phil

I will have a look over the next few days and see what the lie of the land is so to speak

Paul R

Howes are usually very helpful :)

• 3 weeks later...

New Year saw the arrival of the replacement drive gears from Howes, along with the sprue of Class 20 bogie sides to fit on the Model Express dummy that I am building to go with the Tower '20.

post-18627-0-34027600-1421181882_thumb.jpg

I opted to replace all four of the gears rather than the two broken ones, as I felt that further failure would be inevitable. The first problem I found was that I couldn’t get into the workroom, with goodies and packaging stacked up everywhere I needed to start with a New Years resolution to tidy the place up a bit, and put stuff away so I didn’t start anything else new!

post-18627-0-18554100-1421181884_thumb.jpg

After a months break from modeling it took some time to get back into the swing of things, what should have been a five minute job took almost all day, as every time I put the bogies back together I found that I had forgotten to tuck the wires into the motor clamps.

post-18627-0-70981300-1421181885_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-51315200-1421181887_thumb.jpg

After most of the day spent pithering about I have a working loco, with mainly cosmetic bits to do from now on. The buffer beam shrouds were stuck on next, awaiting painting and buffers.

post-18627-0-21607400-1421181889_thumb.jpg

All I have to do now is save up for a sound chip while I carry on with the remaining repairs and replacements.

• Like 1

As I alluded to earlier in the thread I have for a long time considered creating a model of Lion from Big-Big Hymek parts, well with  characteristic lack of focus in amongst my tidying up spree I spent a couple of hours going through the boxes of spare parts I had put down for a further Class 35 conversion in the future.

post-18627-0-57596900-1421183011_thumb.jpg

As I now have a converted Big-Big and two Heljan 35’s I don’t think there’s much point in doing any more, you can have too much of a good thing.

So there I was looking at a partly started body, made out of a pair of chopped-up  Big-Big’s, together with two more bodies and a box of Class 33 bits, destined for a further 33 and a 26. Before long I had sorted out all the bits that had been bought for the Lion conversion and made a start on moving things along a bit.

post-18627-0-18473800-1421183006_thumb.jpg

It has to be said here that this isn’t a high quality scale model, it’s a quick and cheap representation, in the absence of anything else available, it should be about the right size but it’s never going to be a match for anything Heljan would have produced, it’s just that they have said they aren’t going to make one in 7mm now. – And you’re going to have to trust me on this one for a bit, it takes a while to stop it looking like an accident in a Hymek workshop, until it gets a coat of paint it can’t help but still look like a Big-Big, but it does get better, (I think).

First problem to be addressed was the roof, which needed to be a different profile to the Hymek ones. A dig in the drawers of bits, in conjunction with a check against 7mm drawings, indicated two roof profiles were required, the main roof, with the roof grilles, and a raised central area, which contains the  radiator fans and access hatches.

After a sort out of the various roof sections in the cupboard I came up with a piece of old timber clerestory roof I had, which matched the main roof section, it’s also similar to a Gresley coach roof profile, as are the ends over the cab areas.

post-18627-0-39743300-1421183017_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-63656500-1421183019_thumb.jpg

The raised section can be produced with cut-up sections of a Peter Cowling Gresley roof and ends from cut down Big-Big sections.

post-18627-0-22970300-1421183021_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-54847700-1421183023_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-79155400-1421183038_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-63656500-1421183019_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-07098300-1421183043_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-02905500-1421183041_thumb.jpg

Roof grilles are some etches that I had in the spares box, but they needed a surround, a quick dive through the wife’s sewing box produced a cotton reel with suitably sized bits on the ends.

post-18627-0-29201900-1421183025_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-99825000-1421183003_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-81828700-1421183036_thumb.jpg

Although I suspect the entire roof could be made from two Cowling roofs I ended up using resin ends, as they take filing and alteration better, these will be blended to end sections of Big-Big roof to meet up with the head of the windows at the ends.

post-18627-0-51705700-1421183045_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-27789000-1421183047_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-65156700-1421183050_thumb.jpg

The side and end windows were fabricated from Big-Big sections, cut down and fixed flush with the sides, there’s some stretching involved which uses bits from the second loco. It has to be said that the biggest problem experienced was the age and composition of the plastic, it’s very brittle and needed a lot of fettling to get the end result I wanted (not helped by dropping it a few times).  Next the sides were cut down in height to match my drawing.

post-18627-0-65513400-1421183013_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-47339300-1421183015_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-50731500-1421183797_thumb.jpg

Next the sides were filled, to get rid of the windows and grilles, along with the centre body joint. This is a long process, involving several sequences of fill, sand, spray, to get a flat sides, the makers of body filler and primer being like the makers of Mustard powder, making their money on what’s discarded rather than that actually used.

post-18627-0-04284400-1421183049_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-70176100-1421183052_thumb.jpg

After the first fill there's still a long way to go

post-18627-0-09798900-1421183035_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-81375600-1421183086_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-09329500-1421183089_thumb.jpg

The end headcode boxes were also filled as they are mounted higher on Lion.

post-18627-0-97350700-1421183084_thumb.jpg

The roof section was next subjected to a similar cycle of fill, sand and paint, after drilling out the holes for the main roof fans.

post-18627-0-45835200-1421183081_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-43172800-1421183083_thumb.jpg

As of today the body sides are almost flat and the roof is starting to take shape, but I think it’s starting to look a bit less like a 35.

post-18627-0-00411600-1421183091_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-33536800-1421184125_thumb.jpg

The next few days should see the end to the body prep and sanding, ready for the detailing to start.

• Like 5