RMweb

Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Yes, the primer does affect the final colour, unless of course the paint is so thick it covers it completely.  Warhammer advises a black primer for Dwarfs and a white one for elves as you want different skin tones.

I might try a black one as well then, I wonder what the effect would be on a GWR carriage… deeper tones perhaps?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

I might try a black one as well then, I wonder what the effect would be on a GWR carriage… deeper tones perhaps?

Sometimes the juxtaposition of colours can affect my perception. I’ve repainted white GWR carriage rooves and noticed  that the chocolate and cream assume different hues .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention that I do use black as a primer for figure painting. It's a carry over from my wargaming figure painting and military modelling days as it helps with pre-shading.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 02/02/2024 at 19:28, Tim Dubya said:

You guys talking of paint has reminded me of one of the most useful "modelling" apps I have on me phone.

paintRack

iOS & android

"A virtual paint rack for miniature, hobby, and wargamer painters!

Track your hobby model paint collection now! Scan their barcodes. Find matches of paint colors across brands. Save your miniature paint recipes for future reference.

FEATURES:

LIBRARY: track your paints with over 20000 paints from top manufacturers!

SETS: create custom paint SETS (or recipes) for your models

*WISH LIST: helps you track paints you need

*RAPID SCAN: most bottles can be added by scanning bar codes on bottles

*COLOR TOOLS: will help you find the best matching paint colors"

Enjoy 👍😁

I started using it just after Christmas.  But stopped once I had entered in all of my Vallejo and humbrol tins.  It doesn’t have railmatch or Precision paints.  I emailed them and they don’t have plans to add them.  But if we all ask maybe they will.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have literally hundreds of paints. I have a big rack full of enamel tinlet's to start with plus jars, then there's all the tubes of acrylics, powder paints and rattle cans, water colours and weathering powders. Then there's the poster paints. Then there's the pastels and the watercolour weathering pencils.

Regards Lez.     

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Some of my paint tins pre date bar codes.

Mike Wiltshire

Likewise, I don't know what they put in older paints, but I still have some Humbrol tinlets from when I was at school in the 1980s that are still perfectly useable and down in the workshop, some old Dupli-Color touch up tins for things like Vauxhall Eclipse blue and Lambretta Turquoise that are nearly sixty years old and still as good as new.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

Every time I get the Autocoach out I keep thinking about upgrading it with the Dart castings kit. A nice respray would work well.

Well done on the run Neal and if you give in to temptation and dig out the dart castings kit, I hear there's a couple of likely lads on RMweb who had a go at one. If memory serves, they go by the name of @MrWolf and @MAP66.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2024 at 14:25, Neal Ball said:

The primer I am using is the Vallejo white surface primer 73600:

Primer73600.jpg.7f80b4210fac60e12649b7845f99ab07.jpg

I realise there are white and black primers, there is also grey... 

They also do Red; Green (various shades); Cream; Brown (various); Blue. Maybe I am missing out by using one primer colour! It looks as if a lot of them are aimed at wargamers / WW2 modellers. 

I cant help to be intrigued by (say) a Red Primer and how the results might be different.

i have a large bottle of the black primer and a smaller "German Dark Yellow" primer. That was bought a for a kit of a German Panther tank that I have yet to build. Until you posted about the various primer colours, I had thought that the Panther was all the Dunkelgelb would get used on. Looking at the bottle now, it might make a good undercoat for wagons, scrub down the top coat a bit with a fibreglass pen and hey presto, exposed wood underneath. I now need to decide which kit will be the victim test subject.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Well done on the run Neal and if you give in to temptation and dig out the dart castings kit, I hear there's a couple of likely lads on RMweb who had a go at one. If memory serves, they go by the name of @MrWolf and @MAP66.

Thanks for this. In digging out the Autocoach, inside the box I’ve got instructions from Rob and Keith, including what page numbers to start from on their respective pages.

7 minutes ago, 57xx said:

i have a large bottle of the black primer and a smaller "German Dark Yellow" primer. That was bought a for a kit of a German Panther tank that I have yet to build. Until you posted about the various primer colours, I had thought that the Panther was all the Dunkelgelb would get used on. Looking at the bottle now, it might make a good undercoat for wagons, scrub down the top coat a bit with a fibreglass pen and hey presto, exposed wood underneath. I now need to decide which kit will be the victim test subject.

The model shop in Murcia didn’t have any black, but they did have a dark red and a dark green. Perhaps I should try some.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, MAP66 said:

Me too, about 45 years ago.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Every time I get the Autocoach out I keep thinking about upgrading it with the Dart castings kit. A nice respray would work well

It makes a massive difference, along with the Shawplan Laserglaze kit to finish it off (which mine is still waiting for given the uselessness of my Hattons 1470 I can’t find the motivation)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

It's been a busy six months for me, so the almost complete autocoach project has taken a bit of a back seat.

But it is now in the queue on the recently tidied Bench of Bodge and is glowering at me from the corner.

I feel a bit guilty having got so far with it, especially as @MAP66 has ploughed ahead with his and is now upgrading the loco.

I think that it's time to get it finished and give my modelling mojo a kick up the derriere.

I also have the Shawplan glazing kit, fitting that will be a first for me.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I too have made progress, the second 3F is nearly complete. The wheels are back on and it ran first time with only a very slight tight spot in reverse, one of the coupling rod crank pin holes was a bit tight on the the bush. I've opened it out a little and refitted the rods and it's much better. I've painted the wheels and they look quite good. Later today I shall fit the crank pin nuts and secure them with a dab of thread locker and trim the crankpins then lube it up and fit the body. I'm going to change the number from 3205 to 3204 which was a Bristol engine. I have 22A Gloucester and 22B Bristol shed plates coming which I will fit once they arrive. I think I will keep the other 3F as 3205 which was a Leicester engine as the Midland Provender store was at Ashchurch so an engine on that duty would have come through to Tewkesbury for consumables and any servicing it might require as it's the closest shed to Ashchurch. The Bachmann 3F has additional steps in the detail pack but the instruction sheet is mute about them all together so I need to have a look in the 3F book I have as to where they go but given the shape I suspect they are rear tender steps. The fall plate needs fitting as do the dummy couplings, eventually they will be fitted with Alex Jackson couplings but until I start building stock there is no rush and I like to do AJ's as a batch as fitting them can be fiddley so you need to get into a groove with them.

Regards Lez.        

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2024 at 16:01, chuffinghell said:

I never thinned the Vallejo primers but I don’t use them anymore because I found that they don’t adhere to the surface very well (probably using them wrong) they scratch off far too easily

Apologies for regurgitating the topic of primer but a while ago I bought some STYNYLREZ primer for the airbrush because it was raved about on an aircraft modelling forum.

Its recommended to use a minimum 0.5mm needle and air pressure at 25/30PSI

I did try it in my Iwata Eclipse but having a 0.3mm needle it clogged up very quickly and even thinning and/or flow improver didn’t help so I put them to one side and forgot about them

however I’ve very recently bought a cheap (less than £15 cheap) airbrush from Amazon with a 0.5mm needle and I’ve managed to get it to spray without clogging so it could possibly be an alternative to an aerosol primer?

I’m going to do a few tests first to see if it adheres better than the Vallejo I have

If it’s of interest I’m happy to report the results

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Looking good in black….. although it will need another coat before I move onto Brunswick Green.

IMG_2821.jpeg.a8d46d1bfe29662b38fe15243e9e98c5.jpeg

To kill an hour, I moved onto passengers and crew for the Steam Railmotor…. Whenever it arrives!

IMG_6767.jpeg.4ebde8f81411bacc6daea316ba932a25.jpeg

• Like 19