Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

Why not? It doesn't look all that modern to me.

The 24hour clock wasn't used during GWR times as far as I am aware!

PM times would normally be represented by a / 

6:55 would be AM

6/55 would be PM

• RMweb Gold

The 24hour clock wasn't used during GWR times as far as I am aware!

PM times would normally be represented by a / 

6:55 would be AM

6/55 would be PM

Used most places around the world in GW times but still not that popular here in the UK. The BBC tried it as early as 1934 but gave up and are still not using it now on most domestic services.

I would not rule out the use of a second range of figures on a GWR clock of the era, particularly if it was installed somewhere such as a ferry/liner terminal likely to be used by foreigners.

Used most places around the world in GW times but still not that popular here in the UK. The BBC tried it as early as 1934 but gave up and are still not using it now on most domestic services.

I would not rule out the use of a second range of figures on a GWR clock of the era, particularly if it was installed somewhere such as a ferry/liner terminal likely to be used by foreigners.

We all know Captain Mainwaring always had difficulties with the 24 hour clock (unlike Sergeant Wilson....)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yesterday was spent catching up on a few jobs around the layout. The most pressing was to sort out the frogs on the points.

I have replaced all the switches with the Guagemaster DCC Autofrog http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=DCC80 great little circuit board that makes a difference for small wheel base locos going over the points.

A 57xx and 48xx seen in the goods yard testing the new circuits.

57754825.jpg.a063425a9c63f840f9438325ca26f274.jpg

Fixing the Autofrog is so easy. At either end, solder connections onto the BUS wire and the frog connection goes into the middle - so easy to fix.

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 photo changed
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A short update about the Goods Shed - hopefully progress will be a bit quicker in 2019!

Apologies its been a bit slow of late, but I am pleased with the way the goods shed is coming on.

GoodsshedaR.jpg.0219c2d3decbe3cfb6bd54a6e31bcf58.jpg

At the moment I am reading the latest Goods Train book by the late Tony Atkins "GWR Goods Cartage Vol 1 From horses and Carts to Tractors and Trailers" I bought it when we went to the West Somerset Railway at the beginning of December. Its fascinating to read about the progress with road vehicles in the 1930's and just how much reliance was placed on horses for moving the goods away from the station. I only have the last chapter to go.

Then onto the next book: "GWR Goods Cartage Volume 2 Garages, Liveries, Cartage and Containers"   which looks as if it will be released in April 2019: http://www.crecy.co.uk/gwr-goods-cartage-volume-2?osCsid=acb08481b768604fc0efe7575d21a59b 

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 missing image replaced
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

As its Christmas Eve, it just remains for me to wish everyone here on RMWeb the complements of the season, have a Great Christmas and Happy New Year.

GWRRailcaraR.jpg.187a506bfb9fa1d5533db23b52cdc472.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 missing image replaced
  • Like 6

The BBC generally still use the 12h clock in domestic  broadcasts * but all their programme scheduling, time of day time codes,  and every other operation requiring time has been based on the 24 hour clock for decades.  

* BBC World Service does use twenty four hour time based on UTC but quoted as GMT- hence the hoary old WS story of a new announcer heard to say "Sixteen hours Greenwich. Meantime the News."

• RMweb Premium

The BBC generally still use the 12h clock in domestic  broadcasts * but all their programme scheduling, time of day time codes,  and every other operation requiring time has been based on the 24 hour clock for decades.  

* BBC World Service does use twenty four hour time based on UTC but quoted as GMT- hence the hoary old WS story of a new announcer heard to say "Sixteen hours Greenwich. Meantime the News."

Over here the use of the 24-hour clock is rare. Worse, people talk about 12 am (meaning midnight) and 12 pm (meaning noon). In a country with five time zones I find that strange.

Posted at 0857 AEDT.

Merry Christmas.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

A nice set of 57ft non corridor carriages will be en-route to Henley in the Spring by the looks of it.

Today (7th Jan 2019) has seen this years announcements from Hornby, which have included 4 non corridor carriages and a new 61xx.

Not that long ago, products were announced and Hornby would deliver them... oh some time in the next.... year to 18 months. Clearly that's not the way they rock now as the carriages ware expected April, with the loco July.

I was surprised there were no new liveries for other GWR locos, but Hey! I'm happy with the carriages and 61xx. 

All good stuff, Hornby thank you.

Bachmann announce next Monday 14th Jan.

57ftnoncorridor.jpg.344cee1d2c5d41fca10ecd502ccbdb99.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 missing images replaced
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2019 at 21:16, Neal Ball said:

A nice set of 57ft non corridor carriages will be en-route to Henley in the Spring by the looks of it.

Today (7th Jan 2019) has seen this years announcements from Hornby, which have included 4 non corridor carriages and a new 61xx.

Not that long ago, products were announced and Hornby would deliver them... oh some time in the next.... year to 18 months. Clearly that's not the way they rock now as the carriages ware expected April, with the loco July.

I was surprised there were no new liveries for other GWR locos, but Hey! I'm happy with the carriages and 61xx. 

All good stuff, Hornby thank you.

Bachmann announce next Monday 14th Jan.

attachicon.gif57ft non corridor.jpg

Having ordered 1 set, I have now added a second set to the order - Hattons emailed this week to say they are now due February... I wonder if that means they are on the boat already?

Sept 2023 missing image

I was thinking about taking one set up to 5 or 6 carriages (the maximum for the platforms at Henley). Not sure whether to add another composite, or stick an extra brake on the end. Any suggestions?

Edited by Neal Ball
Sept 2023 missing image
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Being a bit posh, Henley might think it warrants more 1st class compartments.

Ideally, what you want as a strengthener is a Toplight or an old clerestory.

Thanks for the suggestion.