Henley-on-Thames - GWR in the 1930's

Neal Ball

• RMweb Premium

There is progress, but in this gorgeous summer, it’s slow progress.

The template shows where the platforms will go either side of the goods shed.

Sorry - missing photo

I intend to cut the platform surface out of one piece of mount board, laminated to a second. The walls are 3 laminations thicl, I need to get the depth of the stone!

The near platform is prototypically longer than the far end, where the goods office is housed.

Edited by Neal Ball
Missing photo removed - Sept 2023
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

A rainy day on the South Coast has seen more work on the Goods shed at henley-on-Thames. Still a lot to do, but making (slow) progress.

Sept 2023 - missing photo, this is the replacement!

GoodsYarda-scan.jpg.904d5430d8c86424a03d43bc0fe79040.jpg

Edited by Neal Ball
Image replaced
  • Like 15

• 1 month later...

Butler and Toomer were both merchants in the fifties but i'm not sure if they were there Pre-war.  Holton very definitely was there Pre-War (and a Holton wagon can be seen in Paul Karau's book) but they had left the coal business by the 1950s and Arthur was solely running the family grocery business by then (apart from being the Station Officer in the local retained Fire Brigade for a while after the war.

BTW your goods shed really does need to be made a lot more fancy looking, this was the real one -

attachicon.gifHY goods shed.jpg

what a excellent photo and first time seeing it in colour, have you anymore of Henley you could post please, Thank you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

There has been a distinct lack of progress with Henley over the last few months or so.

Yesterday though saw a bit of a running session - The heating went on Saturday afternoon, otherwise it would have been a bit chilly out there!

The GWR Railcar saw a spin round the track and into the station, although the track was a bit dirty and a 57xx and Castle didn't like it at all! - Resorting to a class 50 diesel, which didn't have an issue, hauling 6 carriages with ease.

post-6981-0-80663200-1540794826_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Track cleaning being done properly, at least I started last night!

But it means using a diesel for this, due to the increased weight, extra pick ups and of course the wheelbase is typically longer.

Apologies for shewing a diesel in a GWR thread!

post-6981-0-48213400-1541229268_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

There was a reason though.

I had just taken delivery of a Kernow / DJ saddle tank:

post-6981-0-94909400-1541229414_thumb.jpeg

Sadly I was too impatient and hadn’t cleaned everywhere properly, so it kept stalling on the points.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Normal service has resumed!

It’s a day of tank locos after a cleaning session with the diesels.

The new saddle tank brought up 4 wagons and a toad. A 48xx struggled pushing 1 carriage up the incline, but got there with a bit of assistance and is seen here in the bay. A 5750 Pannier tank came up the incline to collect the goods left behind after last nights running session!

post-6981-0-78565800-1541266974_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I have also bought myself the latest Gaugemaster gadget which allows me to connect an iPhone onto the system, using it as a WiFi controller.

Dcc05 uses WiThrottle app. At the moment it’s the Lite version, the iAd version allows two trains to be controlled side by side, without having to leave the screen.

post-6981-0-03571900-1541267826_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Neal what does that Kernow saddle tank weigh ? so I can compare it with the Heljan one.

Will check for you.

My conclusion is that it needs a “stay alive” capacitor, or maybe permantly coupled to a shunters truck.

Will get the weight for you.

• RMweb Gold

the Heljan saddle tank is 182g so it's lighter I spose that's the splashers that shouldn't be there making the Kernow one heavier.

BTW Neal I can recommend some Woodland Scenics white Teflon grease in the wagon axle cups will boost haulage of any loco

by about 30% especially with that incline on your layout.   

• RMweb Premium

Hi. I've been enjoying reading through your thread. What a great layout. May i ask for your views on DCC power base? I've always avoided gradients but am considering having one on my branch due to space. Have you found it to be beneficial?

To be honest although it is in, I haven't (yet) used it to the full capacity.... only 1 loco is fitted and it does make a difference.

I need to get a lot of the locos fitted with magnets and then it will make a difference.

Last week with the 48xx pushing an auto coach up the incline, it struggled for a bit. With a few magnets, it should be able to take a 2nd carriage and will be fine. Last weekend, I ran my Adderly Hall up there, tender first and the tender would definitely have benefited from a weight at the back. It was bouncing about too much!

Of course, running the diesels up the incline, they just romp up there with 6+ carriages.

• RMweb Premium

The advantage of working from home is that when the postman calls with a parcel, I am in to take delivery.

This arrived from Peters spares and I have just been to the railway room to have a quick trial - its the new Woodland Scenics "Tidy Tracks cleaning system" - my track is really clean I don't need it :-) If only!

Or at least so i thought. The effect of using this little gadget was noticeable straight away and just look at the dirt on the pads. It's really easy to use and I cant wait to clean the rest of the layout. Not sure how I will manage the lower level where the tracks are hidden. I think I will still use the Dapol cleaner in those parts, but use it more regularly

post-6981-0-51298700-1542397322_thumb.jpg

It comes complete with 4 different grades of pads, the gadget thing and a bottle of Woodland Scenics fluid.

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cleaner track last night and I took the opportunity to get the two smaller tank locos out. There was a rake of 10 wagons in the station after the last session..... they are still there!

post-6981-0-47498600-1542447378_thumb.jpg

First up was the Kernow models 0-6-0ST, who still managed to find a few bits of track he didn't like! But couldn't take the wagons round the corner towards Mill Lane Bridge without slipping.

Just to see if it could, I tried running the Huntley & Palmers 0-4-0ST and whilst it didn't worry about dirty track, it also couldn't manage getting through Mill Lane Bridge without slipping.

Clearly they both need to stick to 6 wagons or so.

post-6981-0-29295800-1542447677_thumb.jpg

• Like 3