MINITRIX REPAIRS

Popsicle49

Hi, can anybody tell me where I can get a Minitrix German steam loco repaired please?  I once sent one to the Hobby Company in Milton Keynes who sent it to Germany for me but the repair estimate was more than the loco cost and I waited 12 weeks for it so an alternative would be good.  It's a Bavarian Epoche 1 4-6-2 type which runs well in reverse but judders going fwd then suddenly stops. Valve gear working freely on test jig so problem elsewhere.  I've had three of this type and none has worked problem free.  Are they prima donnas?  TIA Popsicle49

You dont  say  how  old  the  loco is>

I have  onkly  experienced one Minitrix loco which  was  faulty  that  was in the  early 70s  It was  returned to the  retialer  for a refund ( it  was  a  German 4-6-2) 

Since  then  i  have  purchased many Minitrix locs from Minitrix under  various  ownerships but  never  had  a  problem.

If your loco runs OK in reverse  then  that  indicates  that it  may  be somwthing to do with  the  gear train that needs attention? 

Hi Popsicle,

As much as I'd like to help, I was badly bitten by a Minitrix 9F back in the 1980's when I had to dis-assemble one for a friend, then couldn't get the running gear back together (all those gear wheels needing alignment with the wheels & valve gear!).

What I might suggest is stripping down a Minitrix "Britannia" as they should be cheap and easy to obtain after all these years?

The parts should be compatible as the Brit used a German chassis.

HTH,

John E.

I'm not familiar with the particular loco you mention, but one possibility if the loco is driven in the main chassis, rather than the tender, is as follows.

If the gears drive more than one axle it is essential that they and the coupling rods are matched and in synch. It is possible bcause of the play in the mechanism that they are not in synch, but the loco works in one direction, although not the other. I recently had this problem with a Minitrix V36 shunter which has rods. The answer is to remove the rods, then position the axles so that the crankpins are in line on each side with the gears meshed - this may take a bit of fiddling. Then re-attach the rods and all should be well.

Possibly worth a try before you incur expense on another alternative.

John.

Archived