Morning Tony,

Couldn't sleep so I'm trawling RMweb. Just caught up and I'm terribly sorry to read of the very dark place you've been to of late. If it's of any consolation, the modelling you achieved between lap tops is to a very high standard indeed!

I'll try to look in again tomorrow as I must try to get some rest - I have to be at Colchester General tomorrow morning for a pre-operation consultation as I am booked for a hernia repair on Dec 12th.

We will be thinking of you and your good lady meanwhile, and hope you feel up to posting again soon. Don't forget the PM system if you ever want to sound off!

Kind regards,

Jock.

As ever you are a great comfort,Jock.

The surgical event hanging over you must be very trying, especially given the extra care needed, relevant to your long term issues. Joan always asks after you and yours when she knows I've been posting. It's only when you are unfortunate enough to live out situations such as ours, that you can really empathise, as Joan and I do.

Have a good night.

Kind Regards,

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

Great post Tony. Big fan of fish vans as you know!

Nice to have you back mate. Must admit I thought that I was hallucinating for a second there when I saw the new post in my content. No need to check for fever it's brass monkeys over here!

Regards Shaun

I'm not too happy with my re-opening post for several reasons. The images could have been edited to get rid of the dreaded blue doors, but more important, the following three pictures should have been included: - 

All three are obviously works in progress. ( I might well edit the original post and place them there, too. [Thanks again for your supportive *likes*, etc.; at the time, incomplete though the entry was] )

post-21358-0-37314200-1449437331_thumb.jpg

Lightly weathered Blue Spot Fish Van

post-21358-0-28077900-1449437396_thumb.jpg

Coal Hopper with basic rust undercoat

post-21358-0-34159000-1449437467_thumb.jpg

Class 40 with weathering undercoats. There is a very great deal to be done here, airbrushing included. I'll try to photograph each stage properly. I've noticed that  number of people - including Tom Foster with his excellent weathering - does detailed pictures out doors. I think that might be my best route, too.

Till next time - with more work done - cheers, everyone,

Tony

EDIT: For the record, the 40 looks far more green in the flesh than when it's photographed under artificial light - another reason for out-door shots.As it happens, one of the final jobs on the 40(s) will be airbrushed green on the upper body-work, where it naturally stays cleaner (look at the Deltic below)

Hi Tony.

I was scrutinizing your hopper and have come to the conclusion it's not a Parkside kit. If it is the lettering is superbly done. If it's not who made it?

Regards Shaun

Hornby! - They're very good, highly rated by everyone.They're in great demand though.

Regards Tony

EDIT: I bought 10 - I wish I could afford another 20! (If I could get them)

When did they come out. I totally missed those! The Parside ones are a bitch  to put together!! Do you know if they did them in LNER livery??

No LNER as far as I know - just plain grey. (I've given them a thin wash of matt black, followed by a thin wash for rust- Both Humbrol paints - must check their numbers. I'll paint patchy grey and fresh-rust on top. The hoppers have only been out in the last year - recent months as far as I'm concerned. Everyone bought them so they're out-of-stock in lots of places. 

Regards, Tony.

PS: I marked yours funny 'cos I could almost see you pulling your non-existent hair out!

Never having had much success weathering with paints I'm watching with interest. I might learn a thing or two mate!

Looks pretty good so far Tony!

- Hell's Teeth! - I'm in danger of having a proper thread at long last! LOL

Seriously, given the amount I've learned from you, that's  a very welcome remark.

Washes of paint do require a little courage as you need to flood the object and NOT touch it with a brush while it flows. The Fish Vans are washed with matt black and that's all. The example shown has turned out light as more thinner was added to the mix, whilst some others are a little darker. Doing a diesel body can be scary unless you know what you intend to do. The Class 40 was flooded with matt black. The chassis area was simply painted with Humbrol Tank Grey 67; I'll use this for ALL chassis as a basis for weathering. Actually, it's a good base for powder-weathering on wagons as the powder grips to it so it's easily done. If it was left alone but just dry-brushed with a lighter shade, it would do for a very clean loco. Very clean can actually be harder than really scruffy weathering which can be airbrush-easy.

post-21358-0-52738800-1449449072.jpg

These are at the former Gateshead Diesel Depot, now history like the steam-shed it took over from.

Piece of cake airbrush weathering these are. The only danger would be people saying you'd overdone it!

Regards Tony.

Early Christmas Present to self:- 

post-21358-0-98339600-1449450108_thumb.jpg

I'm showing this because if you purchase a diesel from the likes of TMC, you can examine it and easily see how it was airbrushed. I'll not print more but if you go to their site - easily found - checking out views of weathered locos can useful. Steam are much more difficult because of the connecting-rods, valve-gear, etc. I'm practising on some old Bachmann split-chassis locos I have; also some Hornby tender-drive A3's, etc. All will be shown in time.

BTW the TMC 47 is a good runner but was a bit sticky at first, due to some airbrushed paint on the wheels. This is easily sorted by running-in on a roundy-roundy layout like mine, otherwise a rolling-road is a must.

Regards, 

Tony

EDIT: This is likely to be the only full-yellow-end diesel I have as it's a little late (1967) for  me. I'll be keeping it this way as I'd promised myself a weathered "Thor" from TMC for ages - I just love it! It looks very realistic when it's running. It'll figure in a future vid no doubt. :) It was £140.00 which is a bit steep but worth it for me.

• RMweb Premium

The tank grey I'm aware of, I use it with matt black and thinner when painting under frames on my rolling stock! Never use pure black, I remember that much from art class in high school.

That 47 looks like a winner. TMC do a fairly good job but I'm as tight as a ducks you know what!

Have you tried picking out all the grills with a sharp soft pencil? or am I jumping the gun here.  

Evening Tony,

Lovely to see your thread 'steaming' again my friend, and it's already producing good information such as the pencil trick from Shaun! I wondered if they were 'r-t-r' models, the weathering probably has most people guessing, well done.

Hope you get what constitutes a good night in your household,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Tony,

Should have let you know yesterday, but my hernia operation scheduled for yesterday at 7.30am was cancelled due to emergencies, which I guess are more urgent than mine which isn't life threatening! Promised me that it will definitely take place on the 31st at 7.00am. Come out in sympathy with Joan tonight, I'm awaiting some movement from one of my internal organs in the hope that I'll then get to sleep! Hope you're both still battling,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Tony,

Should have let you know yesterday, but my hernia operation scheduled for yesterday at 7.30am was cancelled due to emergencies, which I guess are more urgent than mine which isn't life threatening! Promised me that it will definitely take place on the 31st at 7.00am. Come out in sympathy with Joan tonight, I'm awaiting some movement from one of my internal organs in the hope that I'll then get to sleep! Hope you're both still battling,

Kind regards,

Jock.

So sorry to hear that, Jock. But the Health Service is under even more pressure than ever, this time of the year...

If you hadn't posted I wouldn't have - I'd promised myself not to. Although I'm presently bed-ridden myself (very complicated) I've been giving Joan daily injections 'cos of her blood clot. Massive bruising resulted but I've been told this is normal. More worrying, she's developed a rock-hard, egg-sized lump in her lower left abdomen. This is being investigated as I write. I'm so sick of worrying. I hate this time of year with its avariciously false jollity - like you HAVE to be happy! -all to make billions for the billionaires.

At times like this the layout seems utterly pointless. (LOL) 

I know I should PM this stuff. People don't need it.

Do take care...

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear of all the latest health issues. Lets hope it all soon gets smoothed out.

PS. Christmas dinner has been cancelled here due to other health issues, there's no money for presents so I'm making my own from scraps thus avoiding the crowds. At least it's snowing!

Bah Humbug sir...

Evening Tony,

No need to reply to this, especially with what you already have on your plate! We currently have our six week old great grandson in hospital with serious breathing difficulties which has put any of our other problems sharply in perspective - I've had 68 years, he hasn't yet had a life another added issue that's making sleep difficult!

I'm desperately sorry to hear of your latest dramas, what an awful year you've had, but don't worry about posting on here as you'll find many a sympathetic soul looking in and thinking of you. You and Joan are certainly in our thoughts right now and if you need to rant, or simply get things off your chest, feel free to do so!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Tony,

Still awake awaiting the much required 'movement' to announce itself! I'll be 'off-air' for a while at the weekend as I'm down for a hernia operation in Colchester General at 7am on the 31st! They know I'm Scots as well!!

Hope you and Joan are keeping your chins up, and that 2016 turns out to be a better year for you!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited to add an apostrophe!

Hi Jock,

I was going to PM you as it happens, aware of the forthcoming weekend. Anyway, you and yours will certainly be in our thoughts.

One good thing, Joan saw the Haematologist yesterday and all seems to be progressing well enough. That wicked "lump" was just the result of the daily jabs. They go on for another week, then it's Warfarin, which is routine, so we're grateful for that. 

We are glad to get Christmas over. Now it's just the New Year. Joan sees (we see!) close family members as visitors but that's all. She's fearful of her incontinence regarding newcomers so none are invited. Some can't understand this and take the pip, but so be it. If that's the case, they are thinking of themselves, not her/us.

I look forward to hearing from you when the surgery is over. I'm sure all will be well. :)

Kind Regards,

Tony

EDIT: Somehow I forgot(!) to put this post along with your quote, which pretty well shows my mind-state. LOL I trust you'll catch it. Now, must hoist her Ladyship from her Throne...

• 7 months later...

Archived