How to use DCC controller on multiple layouts.

jimmer

Hi

I'm using a Bachman Dynamis on my current layout and contemplating building a thomas layout for my son in the near future but also use the dynamis for that too.I guess I could use a plugs and sockets arrangement, the sockets hardwired to the buses on the layouts allowing the base unit to be moved between the layouts but I am not sure what type of plugs etc to use. Maybe interconnecting terminal blocks would work but was hoping for a more 'attractive' solution.Could any passing expert offer some advice please.

No expert here but something like an XLR plug and socket - as used for stage microphones - should do the job.

Looking at the Dynamis manual it is just the two wires to the layout, the XLR is a 3 pin arrangement so you will always have the right alignment.

Most electronic suppliers such as Maplin and RS, as well as many music stores, will sell them.  Ebay is also a good source.

If you do not feel confident soldering them up yourself then perhaps get a couple of short ready made male to female leads, and cut them in half so one end is attached to each layout and the other attached to the Dynamis (of course you will have a spare "half") - make sure you use the same end on both layouts! - then terminate into usual screw terminals or whatever.

• RMweb Gold

I've used these before, either the two way or 4way.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/2-way-loudspeaker-lever-terminal-bw72p

As it's the Dynamis you would probably only need the 2 way type.

You just cut a hole out in the side frame of top of the baseboard and solder two wires to the back of these levers.

Once in and set up it makes a very quick solution to swapping between layouts

Archived