Wiring up a tortoise point motor....

topsy11

Hello,

Could someone give me a hand in how to wire up a tortoise point motor, I don't have one yet to hand but just trying to get my head around how to wire everything up.

I've decided I'm going to go DC with a control panel set up and my operating position. I'll be using DPDT toggle switches to switch the points and going to be using some CR signals.

From reading through I guess 1 & 8 will be the inputs from the DC supply? Then wire the control panel L.E.D's as per the attached picture.

Could someone tell me where I'd need to wire in the toggle switch and how I'd connect the signal to work with the point motor?

Many thanks for any help.

Mark

Edit also for the toggle switches do I need on - off - on or on - on switches?

post-24299-0-64216300-1420049775_thumb.png

Hi Mark

It's exactly as per the Circuitron link I sent to you in the PMs we've had this afternoon. http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/ins/800-6000ins.pdf

It's also shown on my web site here...http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical.html#Stall

For LED indications and as you want red/green then you connect the two LEDs together as per the drawing above ensuring one LEDs long lead connects to the others shorter lead and the same for the other two leads and insert the pair of LEDs into either one of the two feed wires between switch and Totoise pins 1 or 8.

If you want to have four LEDs per point then you can connect a second pair as previously (long leads to short leads) and either wire them into the other feed wire or in the same feed wire as the first set but after the first set.

Wiring the four LEDs as per drawing 4 at the bottom right of the sheet.

You use an On-On toggle switch. Basic Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT).

Thanks Brian.

I'v got my head around the L.E.D wiring - but I'm just trying to figure out where I'd put the toggle switch and from which output I'd wire the signal which none of the diagrams seem to show :-( maybe it'd be clearer if I had a point motor in front of me but I'm hoping to get some of the bits and pieces next week and would like to be 95% confident I can get it wired up.

Thanks again

Mark

Edit : I gather figure two on here shows how to wire the DPDT switch in ... http://www.circuitron.com/index_files/INS/800-6000ins.pdf

Just which output the signal is controlled from now and I think I've got it figured......at least I hope I have!!

No just use drawing 1, a 12 volt dc power supply and one On-On DPDT toggle switch.

Then add indication LEDs into one feed wire that goes to either 1 or 8 terminal.

I

As for the signal.. A two aspect can be fed via the change over switch fitted on the Tottoise. Then by using the Tortoise contact the signal aspects can be either an LED or filament lamp type and its wiring is kept totally seperate from the motors operation wiring.

Wire a 12volt feed to contact 4 on Tortoise and connect the red and green aspect feed wires to Tortoise 2 & 3 terminals. Common on signal goes back to the 12 volt supplies other terminal.

You will connect either a positive or a negative from the supply to the number 4 Tortoise connection depending on the type of signal being used, as some use common Anode (positive) LEDs while other use common Cathode (negative). This you need to determine before wiring the supply and return for the signal.

Edit to add signal detail.

Archived