Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

No building work today, though I've marked out some ply for cutting tomorrow.

I've also set up another mock piece of road-bed to cover the area to the right side of the layout, including the curved turnouts - see the earlier plan. This board is now covered in scribbles and curves to show my planned connections between the curved turnouts and the goods yard area. Looks ok on wood, so fingers crossed.

More lunar photography at 4am this morning with similar planned for early Sunday morning. Will put some examples in the Asylum tomorrow.

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Jeff,

Went to the 0 gauge Guildex at Telford today and the Yeovil Model Railway Group's ' Summit' was there Quite a master piece and in o gauge As they saw ' thought of you ' and your L girders  :jester:

post-5136-0-27843700-1441490223.jpgpost-5136-0-16958400-1441490244.jpg

Just a couple of pictures to keep your nose to the grind stone 

• Like 7

More lunar photography at 4am this morning with similar planned for early Sunday morning. Will put some examples in the Asylum tomorrow.

Jeff

Remember- don't be too eager and get all tired, then make mistakes like I did... (I still have a good scar on one finger, from careless use of a radial arm saw when I was 13...good news, I still have that finger too !)

There's nout wrong with a good afternoon nap !  I try to encourage my lads into that approach to life.  Especially the 9 year old, who thinks that 6am is late to get out of bed at.  The good news is we feel that 8 pm is a perfectly acceptable bed time too...

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's all looking really good Jeff and offers so much more flexibility of contours than KL1, adding scenery below the trackbed adds so much to layouts.

One thing I would like to mention now before you start laying track is the curves at the end of the headshunt and lie-by sidings; they would look far better if they were parallel to the running lines rather than curving away from them (I can't think of any reason why they would curve away).

I've kept out of comments on the build, but I do have to agree with Jason on that one Jeff, a gap between running line and siding is expensive wasted land, plus it would look prettier as well.

Glad to see it looking good,

I've just posted a Video on Pencarne that might inspire and bring back some memories of that November Day in 2013, ALMOST 2 years ago now.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Went to the 0 gauge Guildex at Telford today and the Yeovil Model Railway Group's ' Summit' was there Quite a master piece and in o gauge As they saw ' thought of you ' and your L girders  :jester:

attachicon.gifIMG_0016 (500x349).jpg                                         attachicon.gifIMG_0018 (500x375).jpg

Just a couple of pictures to keep your nose to the grind stone 

Lovely photos - very inspirational. Always good to see the fantastic efforts that others produce - keeps you humble and lets you aim to try to match them!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Remember- don't be too eager and get all tired, then make mistakes like I did... (I still have a good scar on one finger, from careless use of a radial arm saw when I was 13...good news, I still have that finger too !)

There's nout wrong with a good afternoon nap !  I try to encourage my lads into that approach to life.  Especially the 9 year old, who thinks that 6am is late to get out of bed at.  The good news is we feel that 8 pm is a perfectly acceptable bed time too...

James

I'm trying to stay awake by doing lots of things, but I've just woken from one of your afternoon naps - very refreshing - and I'm about to take the dog out.

Then it's into the Bunker for a bit more marking-up and scheming!

Looks like cloud in the early morning, so no photography tonight. I'll post some moon pics in the Asylum shortly.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jason, Andy - thanks for the advice, which I will follow.

The headshunt and (long) lay-by aren't marked onto the mock baseboard yet, but there's plenty of space for them.

Agree about the flexibility to contour. You suggested the road underbridge for KL, but it was impossible to fit in amongst its labyrinth of girders! The mock boards are quite wide here to include planting places for the platforms and for the goods shed and yard. But there's many more places than KL to EASILY vary the landforms, WITHOUT the need to conjure up kilograms of plaster!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ruddy hell Jeff I have not been on here for a few weeks and how fast have you been on getting on with the base boards. What's next grass lol, the reson for the absent is all explained in the lounge.

Hope all is well Jeff

Mark

Saw your post - really good news. 

I like piddling around with wood and I'm pleased with progress. Will aim to order my stock of 12mm birch ply later in the week - then I can cut and fit the "real thing"! Grass? WOZZAT?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Jeff. Jason and Andy were right about headshunts etc keeping close to the lines. However if you do want some to veer off for some reason (better access) if you add a bit of trackbed as though there was once a branch then the railway would already own that space and might well use it. A closed branch could be left as a stub and used as a headshunt.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: Just thought I'd stick some more pics on to show the situation at present. I've run out of 50mm screws, so a couple of cleats still need fixing onto risers. Remember, the ply top shown here is only for test purposes. There' going to be plenty of scope for contouring in front of the area with the curved turnouts...

Btw, I didn't CHOOSE to use 3 x 2s for the cross joists - I simply ran out of decent, non-twisted 2 x 2s!!

Jeff

post-13778-0-19681100-1441744802_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-38851900-1441744837_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-60588000-1441744840_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Whats the differential in wood used on the L-girder system of KL2 as opposed to the original KL? Is there any cost saving going on?

Andy G

Good question, so I've looked up the comparative costs....

For the wood and ply for KL the cost was about £670.

The equivalent cost for KL2, to date, is £390.

However, the birch ply for the baseboard tops is going to cost me an additional £160 and I've yet to buy the timber to build the fiddle yard area.

So it looks like the overall costs will be very similar in the end!

Jeff

ps. I MUCH prefer the present method. Neater and more flexible - and probably stronger, too.  

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Nothing especially exciting - just MORE pics of Jeff's bl**dy wooden construction.

Risers/cleats have been fitted as far as the mock-up goes, as shown in the first 3 pics. The next L-girder table - a small one, barely a metre long (to fit along the wall up to the door) - is now planned, with the track on top comprising the curve at 36" max leading to the fiddle yard. When this will be built - not sure as I've no remaining stock of 4 x 2 or 3 x 2. We'll see how itchy I get for a bit more wood carving!

The last pic is a barely legible plan of the latest area to be "risered". I DO think ahead.....

post-13778-0-49896300-1441834875_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-14461500-1441834878_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-99280700-1441834881_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-31498700-1441834885_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

In post # 1319 I wondered if I'd be able to resist the lure of more wood cutting....

Oh no! Definitely not - more 3 x 2 and 4 x 2 was ordered this afternoon, so I can get the right hand side of the frames ready. That will mean the majority of the scenic area will be ready for baseboards by around Tuesday next week. I don't include the "tiny" Fell in this, as that will be sat on the Fiddle Yard girders (see plan).

Wood is being delivered on Monday, so it looks like it'll be a weekend of garden work - subject to the weather, of course.

Jeff

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifKLwalls.jpg

Just a reminder of what I am expecting Jeff. Some of the finest model walls crossing the fells

Don

That's a nice example of stone walling and it'd be great to be able to create that in miniature. Maybe I'd have to if I worked on Pendon!

I'll be re-doing my DAS jigs to give a greater variety of stone pieces, so I can improve on the KL efforts. Hopefully they'll give pleasing results. Here's 3 pics from KL to remind everyone of what the last creation looked like - this used 4 standard thicknesses of "block". I hope to go to 6 thicknesses and 2 different widths next time. We will see!!

post-13778-0-00911800-1442058745_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-48777100-1442058898_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-71151200-1442058914_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Really good work there jeff,basebords are coming along a treat.

Wont be long before theres sheep all over it!

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben. I'm pleased - and surprised - at the progress. I'm also pleased that my enthusiasm - which was on the wane during the "planning" period (ie. when I couldn't do any railway work) - is now being rekindled.

Who knows, there may be sheep by Christmas (though I doubt it)?

Jeff

• Like 4