RMweb

Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Yes, just checked. All the open wagons I've done today - 5, 7 plank and 16t have a full set of brake shoes.

Except a 16t "steel mineral" with shoes on one side and a connecting rod. That was a doddle to convert.

And now I learn that not only can I perform a "gender change" from 00 to EM, amputate limbs, but at a later stage I can use donor wagons to transplant bits I've lopped off. Wow - what a hobby. Better than doctors and nurses!!  :angel:  :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

Jeff

• Like 4

Hi Jeff hope all is well.

Nice work on them wagons

As promised I am here and took some pics of point and signal ridding hope this helps

attachicon.gifIMG_3781.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3782.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3783.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3784.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3785.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3786.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3787.JPG

Dam things are on the side sorry Jeff

Hey up just fell off my chair trying to look at that last lot of pictures ...... :jester:  :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Mark, thanks for the pics. Anything like this will be very useful when the time comes to fit something - cheers.

A thought did occur (very rare these days) - is point rodding a frequent target for metal thieves or vandalism? It seems very vulnerable.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Mark, thanks for the pics. Anything like this will be very useful when the time comes to fit something - cheers.

A thought did occur (very rare these days) - is point rodding a frequent target for metal thieves or vandalism? It seems very vulnerable.

Jeff

Just try lifting it up or shoving it into the back of a van - it can de darned hard work when you're legitimately lifting a rodding run for re-use on a  preservation site; hardly worth it for thieves I would have thought.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just try lifting it up or shoving it into the back of a van - it can de darned hard work when you're legitimately lifting a rodding run for re-use on a  preservation site; hardly worth it for thieves I would have thought.

I'm glad to hear that, Mike. Bearing in mind the effect railway theft can have on people's safety, I think anyone nicking this kind of stuff should suffer the "total amputations" undergone by some of my wagons!

Your'e dad and I have something in common then!

3 links, I would need binoculars, EM - too much hassle when stock levels are 25+ years of collection, I'm not knocking you Jeff you certainly have more patience than I.

I fully understand where you and Andy are coming from. I never realied I had so much patience until I started building walls. And I'm even enjoying the repetitive nature of modifying the wagons. Strange really - but fills you with a sense of success.

I do wonder whether the forthcoming rodding will try my patience, though!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's the result of about 7 hours work over the last day or so....

post-13778-0-91577000-1488904824_thumb.jpg

Which only leaves these to do - I thought the 22 wagons I brought with me would take a bit longer.

post-13778-0-67462700-1488904871_thumb.jpg

I know the "Tarmac" wagons may not exude S&C, but no reason for them - and other tankers (I have about 30) - to be on some through trains.

Jeff

ps. Jason - no more total amputations, but getting really free running can be almost impossible given the position of some of the brake shoes!

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Oh Matron, the screens!

Ah, so we ARE playing Doctors and nurses......

I seriously wonder whether the forthcoming brass soldering and rod manoeuvring (sounds dodgy) will lead to increased levels of insanity! It may be time to build a larger FELL!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hey Doctor, I think we have a serious problem beginning to develop ......

I think you are correct. Point rodding, ballasting, more walling, another 60+ RTR wagons to re-wheel, a few dozen more Parkside kits to buy/build, 100+ wagons to 3-link....

.... hey, this is sounding like hours of fun!

Not too bad really. Good job Matron is on call!

Seriously, if you look at a mountain from base camp then you wonder how you'll ever get to the summit. Most of the stuff above is just a case of going through the motions. And I do actually get a lot of satisfaction out of it.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some pictures I found when searching for point rodding information:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22770319@N02/8275249446/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/6295114838/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60459234@N04/11054376454

(none of them anything to do with me, which is why I've just put links in rather than embed them)

The last one is especially annoying since it's 2004 - as recently as that the rodding was in the same place (minus one rod)! Clear view of where one of the compensators is in one of them, although since Kirkby Lunside is based on rather than of Kirkby Stephen it probably won't end up in exactly the same place.

• RMweb Premium

Thing is, you are always going to be up against it with the Hornby and Bachmann wheels as they are oversized in both width and diameter; pop a set of gibsons in one axle and standard Bachmann on the other and you will notice a drag racer effect, and it's not just down to the LP sized flanges.

Here is a set of Bachmann wheels regauge to EM; the outer edge of the rim is touching the axle guards:post-9707-0-69084600-1488919054_thumb.jpg

Now compare the above with Gibson wheels gauged to EM:

post-9707-0-63933900-1488919112_thumb.jpg

Quite a difference!

I did experiment with regauging Bachmann wheels and I had to trim the recess for the wheels totally flush with the axle guards, and carefully shave a lot off the brake shoes and moulding that attaches them to the underframe. Below are a couple of shots showing how much I trimmed off; I would honestly recommend buying a bulk load of Gibson wheels as not only do they look a thousand times better but the amount of hacking is greatly reduced.

post-9707-0-27415800-1488919339_thumb.jpg

post-9707-0-99736200-1488919575_thumb.jpg

End of the day, Bachmann, Hornby and Romford wheels are designed for use with Setrack, Code 100 and the like in mind where there are huge tolerances. Gibsons are more for your finescale track but would probably rattle through a Peco code 100 double slip like a dustbin rolling over a cattle grid.

• RMweb Premium

Yep, good points.

I can modify most of the wagons to clear the axle guards and by trimming back the brake blocks to about half thickness get the wheels to rotate very freely. But the annoyance is the position of some of the brake blocks which, no matter how thinned down, insist on catching the flange-end wheel rim.

Having said that, the modified wagons run well and look the part. I won't be buying Gibson wheels for those - maybe for future kit builds?

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some pictures I found when searching for point rodding information:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22770319@N02/8275249446/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/6295114838/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60459234@N04/11054376454

(none of them anything to do with me, which is why I've just put links in rather than embed them)

The last one is especially annoying since it's 2004 - as recently as that the rodding was in the same place (minus one rod)! Clear view of where one of the compensators is in one of them, although since Kirkby Lunside is based on rather than of Kirkby Stephen it probably won't end up in exactly the same place.

Simon, here's a batch of pics which I can post as they were taken by a friend....

July 2000

post-13778-0-20090300-1488920406.jpg

post-13778-0-95384400-1488920410.jpg

Feb 2001

post-13778-0-94947200-1488920421.jpg

post-13778-0-44665800-1488920425.jpg

June 2001

post-13778-0-16727700-1488920439_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-76791200-1488920442_thumb.jpg

These will be of use to me, and maybe to you.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

For the bad runners, I would seriously consider Gibsons, if for no other reason than with their smaller (correct) diameter and closer to scale flanges, the brake blocks will be further away from them. You could cut off the brake rigging and reattach it but I think you'd struggle to get them to stay put.

Edit: I have a fair few Romford wheels you can have if you want them; correct diameter but still steamroller. They will probably be a step up from HornBach wheels though.

• RMweb Premium

Remind me to bring some Modelmaster decals with me when I visit; looks like your 5 planker could do with some :)

That was a ploy to obliterate a few same-numbered wagons!

I think you'll need to hire a truck when you come up: rolling stock, 3-links, soldering gear, wheels for diesels, decals, kitchen sink....

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I used MayGib wheels in my EM days and still have a good stash in case I go back to 4mm. Admittedly the 00 wheels in those days were not good. Better wheels looks better as well as run better.

Don