Gismorail's workbench

Hi folks and may I wish my fellow modellers a very happy new year.

Thought I would start a thread to cover a new modelling project (Chester Northgate)that I hope will finally start to develop in the coming year as it been on the drawing board for far too long. I am in the process of building a shed for the proposed layout for which I will cover in a separate thread when work commences as the weather improves in the springtime. In the meantime I am starting to sort out some stock and though I would share some of the results as things develop.

At the recent Warley Show I came across some second hand Mainline LMS 57' wooden panel coaches which were selling £11 each and on inspection I was impressed with the level of detail considering how old the models are. We forget the advances that were achieved by that company and many of us dismiss some of this old stock compared with some of the new coaches being produced today.

I intend to update them into BR livery , flush glazing and fix Kadee couplings and weather them into the run down state that will fit into the late 50's that I'm intending to model.

So all coaches have been stripped and dismantled and I have sprayed with  Halfords grey primer as a base of respraying into BR maroon (Dull)

post-5136-0-92975200-1420153043.jpg

post-5136-0-61627300-1420153077.jpg

Yes they were really ahead of their time when you study the detail that is within the mouldings. One of the ones that I am doing is an up to date Bachmann version which I don't think the trader realised as all four came without boxes but still cost only £11 each !!!!!!!

I have noticed that as well as metal wheels the corridor connections are more detailed and the roof vents are correct. I have thought about replacing the older ones with replacements but will wait to see how the rake looks once the upgrade has been completed. I will look forward to seeing what you do with yours when they appear on your workbench.  

Managed to done some more work on this project over the weekend. I have re-sprayed the coach bodies with Phoenix Precision B.R.Maroon (Dull) , I know that the correct colour should be Crimson, but I have used the dull maroon to enhance the weathering effect that I am trying to create as  the period that I am modelling these coaches would have been on their last couple of years in service. I have painted the compartments to give some focus on the interior which was, considering the age of these models was fairly detailed compared to other models at this time.

I have started work on the under-frames by  giving them a coat of dirty black with some Humbrol metal cote (27004) which gives it a good base to apply weathering powers later on .

Further additions to the under-frame is the mounting plates for the Kadee couplings. As can been seen from the pictures I have had to allow for the fixing lip at both ends of the coach so have shaped the plastic base layer of the mounting plate around the lug which holds the coach body in place. Having checked the coupling heights using the Kadee jig the infill needed to be level with the buffer beam and these have been glued into position. 

post-5136-0-39384700-1420673450.jpg

post-5136-0-23733500-1420674883_thumb.jpg

post-5136-0-88097800-1420675349_thumb.jpg

post-5136-0-72059300-1420675712.jpg

Managed a couple of hours last night and fitted the Kadee couplings. I purchased the Kadee starter pack when I made the decision to use these couplings and have found that it has been well worth it. In the pack you are supplied with a pack of each type / size coupling in the range as well as height jigs, tools, fixings and uncoupling magnates as well detailed instruction sheets.

The first job was to drill a pilot hole into the mounting plates that had been fabricated out of plasticard.  I then filled it with thread-lock and applied a very small amount of plastic glue onto the base of the coupling box before fitting. The screw supplied in the fitting kit is made of plastic so one has to be careful not to over tighten and strip the threads, the use of thread-lock should make for a good solid bond.

Kadee coupling fitted:

post-5136-0-58185400-1420788039.jpg

Well its been a weathering session today having added the coach stock numbers and the guards door sign to the brake end coaches. I have searched through various coaching books and could not find any evidence of any of these coaches ever having the BR emblem applied, I can only imagine that the powers that be decided that there was not a long life expectancy for those old ex LMS coaches and it wasn't  worth the expense involved. If anyone one knows different I would be interested to know the reason for their omission.

The roofs have been spray painted with a dirty black with a mix of metal cote gunmetal which leaves a slight 'glistening, effect that was due to coal dust from the loco exhaust.

The application of the weathering powers has been undertaken with a flatty type brush and I started with a black to get the effect of dirt trapped into all the edges of the wooden panelling and ventilation grills etc. All the underframes have been coated with a brake dust power mixed with a dirty black along with a few rust streaks. The coach ends have had a good mixture of black / brown to give the effect of the muck that gets splashed up from the running gear and general steam leakage that was so often the normal from the train heat system. The coach sides have been weathered by a slow build from the bottom upwards to get effect from the ballast and brake dirt that gets thrown up from the track.

A close up of the Kadee couplings nicely lined up and at the correct height:

post-5136-0-09252200-1421107843.jpg

post-5136-0-51395800-1421107884.jpg

post-5136-0-00006900-1421107897.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've just found this topic from your post in the "UK stations someone should have modelled" thread. I must say those coaches are looking very nice indeed.

As an ex-Cestrian myself, and certainly no stranger to the Llangollen railway which I presume you'll know like the back of your hand going by your location, I thought this poster might be of interest and might provide a little inspiration for your plans to resurrect Chester Northgate.

I'm looking forward to following progress on your layout, not least because I'm in the planning stages of my own layout depicting the neighbouring Chester General.

JB

9FF14EA7-B08B-4D30-A727-5CD02EDAC90E_zps

Archived