RMweb

Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Sorry, Phil, you've lost me with that one!

Sorry!   It’s a combination of my sense of humour and because you call your fiddle yard “Paddington”.

If a short freight is being diagrammed from London Paddington to deepest Cornwall, why not send it via an equally unlikely route for good measure...?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

...Once the final backscenes are in place you won't see this view, unfortunately, as the backscenes will be about 450mm high.

Backscenes don’t have to be vertical.  You could perhaps preserve much of the view by angling the backscene over Polperran? 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Sorry!   It’s a combination of my sense of humour and because you call your fiddle yard “Paddington”.

If a short freight is being diagrammed from London Paddington to deepest Cornwall, why not send it via an equally unlikely route for good measure...?

Ah, your sense of humour is even worse than mine.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

Backscenes don’t have to be vertical.  You could perhaps preserve much of the view by angling the backscene over Polperran? 

That's an interesting thought. I might mock something up. It could only be about 30 degrees from the vertical so as not to impinge in the gangway between Polperran and Penzance but it might be worth a try.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I also plan to record South Africa v Australia from Pretoria overnight to watch in the morning.

That plan hasn't survived contact with reality.

Under the current agreement between Rugby Australia and Channel 9, only home Wallabies matches and all Bledisloe Cup matches are being shown free-to-air. For everything else, you have to go to Nine's streaming service, Stan Sports, which I refuse to do on the basis that I would then be paying three separate fees to watch.

The modern world? You can keep it.

And, of course, it's raining at Headingley.

Grrrr...

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Grrrr...

Cricket and Wimbledon on at the same time. A much better rain producing system than the Hopi rain dance.

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tankerman said:

Cricket and Wimbledon on at the same time. A much better rain producing system than the Hopi rain dance.

And the British Grand Prix qualifying, and England v Spain under 21’s are all live on free-to-view today...  doesn’t happen often these days :(

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I don't live in the area any more but I do keep "tabs" on the sides that I played for in the local leagues.

Professional cricketers seem to have a different definition of "rain" compared to the local amateurs and the semi-pro leagues.

A number of Bradford League games were completed, although the side that I look for in the York League were caled off.

Certain  leagues (such as the long defunct Dewsbury & District) were notorious for playing when it was coming down like stair rods but generally

I often used to be amazed at how we played and got home to find that there was no play in the Test!

Incidentally, despite the forecast there was no rain in west Norfolk and all local games reached a conclusion.

Ian T

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, ianathompson said:

I don't live in the area any more but I do keep "tabs" on the sides that I played for in the local leagues.

Professional cricketers seem to have a different definition of "rain" compared to the local amateurs and the semi-pro leagues.

A number of Bradford League games were completed, although the side that I look for in the York League were caled off.

Certain  leagues (such as the long defunct Dewsbury & District) were notorious for playing when it was coming down like stair rods but generally

I often used to be amazed at how we played and got home to find that there was no play in the Test!

Incidentally, despite the forecast there was no rain in west Norfolk and all local games reached a conclusion.

Ian T

For a few seasons I played for Garforth (not Garforth PC) in what was then the Leeds League.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 08/07/2023 at 09:19, Chamby said:

Ah but as it would have reduced its load at Hackney and then again, if necessary, at Tavy Jcn it would have been a short freight in Cornwall.  And even shorter by the time it got to 'Pentowan' than it would have been when it left Paddington.

A really amusing one in the late 1940s was the 21.32 Paddington  (Goods) - Penzance which reduced at Newbury Racecourse (then a regular freight marshalling point) and where traffic for stations in Cornwall had to be formed in station order sorted additionally by vac and non-vac as it ran as Class C.  Permitted to convey only vehicles fitted with oil boxes beyond Newbury RC but grease boxes and axleboxes stuffed with horsehair were permitted between Paddington and Newbury RC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/07/2023 at 11:21, St Enodoc said:

Under the current agreement between Rugby Australia and Channel 9, only home Wallabies matches and all Bledisloe Cup matches are being shown free-to-air. For everything else, you have to go to Nine's streaming service, Stan Sports, which I refuse to do on the basis that I would then be paying three separate fees to watch.

The modern world? You can keep it.

Grrrr...

Hope you agree with me John that today's result at Headingley was good for the game of cricket as well as (of course!) being good for the England team?

I say this because there is nothing worse than a test series that is dead after 3 games of 5!

Meanwhile, your current state of play on Mid Cornwall Lines is great. Soon you will have so much time on your hands you will just have to get on with the scenics!

All the best,

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Ah but as it would have reduced its load at Hackney and then again, if necessary, at Tavy Jcn it would have been a short freight in Cornwall.  And even shorter by the time it got to 'Pentowan' than it would have been when it left Paddington.

In the real world it would have started from St Blazey which is all part of the Paddington loops in MCL-world.

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A really amusing one in the late 1940s was the 21.32 Paddington  (Goods) - Penzance which reduced at Newbury Racecourse (then a regular freight marshalling point) and where traffic for stations in Cornwall had to be formed in station order sorted additionally by vac and non-vac as it ran as Class C.  Permitted to convey only vehicles fitted with oil boxes beyond Newbury RC but grease boxes and axleboxes stuffed with horsehair were permitted between Paddington and Newbury RC

As none of my stock has axleboxes stuffed with horsehair I should be able to get away with that one.

Was the horsehair detached from/attached to the horses themselves at Newbury RC?

• Like 5
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hope you agree with me John that today's result at Headingley was good for the game of cricket as well as (of course!) being good for the England team?

I say this because there is nothing worse than a test series that is dead after 3 games of 5!

Yes. I listened until lunch, at which point I thought that England were making a valiant attempt to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Spent 3 of the 4 days at Headingley. Saturday I umpired at Addingham and we managed to get a 35 overs per side match in. I did, however  explain to my colleague why we don't start matches in the rain... he was upset when I said.. no insurance and no reason to come off if you start in the rain. Then he realised he still got a full fee.. so was happy!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

In the real world it would have started from St Blazey which is all part of the Paddington loops in MCL-world.

As none of my stock has axleboxes stuffed with horsehair I should be able to get away with that one.

Was the horsehair detached from/attached to the horses themselves at Newbury RC?

The horsehair was arriving from Paddington so maybe it had come from the Household Cavalry.

Strange that such areference was still around in theh late 1940s.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2023 at 03:29, St Enodoc said:

I've come across a few second hand items of stock off Ebay with axleboxes stuffed with hair... defiantly not dog or horse... 

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, John Besley said:

I've come across a few second hand items of stock off Ebay with axleboxes stuffed with hair... defiantly not dog or horse... 

Short and curly?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8