Wagon I.D. help please. The year was 1991......

Hello all,

I need some help I.D'ing a wagon in the video below. 5th wagon in the train starting at 8.08 appears to be a 4 wheel container flat with a tanktainer on. But what is it? I've been through my speedlink, railfreight, and ferry wagons books but not found a description of this service in there.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uop3W_2Aw1g

My 'guess' would be it's a PFA but I've not seen one in a set like this, I'm only familiar with them in MoD and fixed sets.

Cheers for any further info!

Given the composition of the rest of the train, which seems to be wagons for CIBA-Geigy at Duxford, I'd suggest it's being used in resin traffic to either Stranraer or Caberboard, who were somewhere near Inverness, I believe. I remember pairs of this sort of container on bogie PFAs on Stranraer-bound Speedlinks at about that time. as to what type of wagon it is? Perhaps one of the FPA container flats, built on surplus underframes, and more usually associated with containerised coal to Scotland for Russell (though they did work from Ely with both sugar-beet pulp traffic for animal feed and beetroot to Baxter's )

This is the sort of wagon I was thinking of:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brrusselcoal/he01221c#he01221c

There was an earlier design, coded FBA/B, but these were usually confined to whisky traffic:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/freightliner4wheel/h4bd67a0#h4bd67a0

Apart from that, I can't think what it might be- there were Belgian and German wagons which carried small containers of chemicals, but these had low sides, I believe.

Cheers Brian, from those linked pictures and staring at the video over and over again it looks like it could be an FBA/B. The buffer beams seem to be above deck level at each end which would rule out the FPA and it seems to be longer than the PFA.

Is it the other type of PFA (the one DC Kits do), that is now used for 'special coal' traffic.

www.flickr.com/photos/94418464@N08/9788676293/

Wild Boar Fell

Too short, and those Cawoods PFAs were fully employed in containerised coal traffic in 1991. My money is on it being a FBA/FBB

FBA/B sounds/looks good for this. If the video'd service is on it's way up to Scotland then the wagon could have been 'borrowed' from a whisky route.

So, looks like someone's attempted to model these before: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65209-scottish-whiskey-wagons/just to conifirm, is the Chassis used here the same as the one used for a VDA van?

Many thanks.

The chassis would be closer to that used for the VAA/VBA, I reckon. Here's a link to a photo of the tank containers used:-

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/selfdischargeconflat/h2a0cc9b8#h2a0cc9b8

thanks again Brian. Despite the incorrectness, I may trial this on a Hornby VDA chassis, cheaper if I make a mistake and seems a good way to rid the world of some if I find any at the right cost!

Edit: Just had a read of an old thread asking about Hornby/Bachmann VDA comparrison, and the Hornby chassis is far too wrong for this. Although it's perfect for doing an FPA if anyone's contemplating them.

Extra Edit: Now also contemplating some FPAs with 30ft Russell coal containers on. Image searches show them turning up all over the country in mixed rakes. Damn you internet.

• 2 months later...

New subject on same video!

ECC hoppers behind the 60 at the start of the vid: I'm struggling to think why they're so far off territory, but does it give ke an excuse to get a couple of Kernow's limited eddition Tiger rail hoppers to add to some of my eastern region Speedlink sets?

Cheers knowledgeable people!

New subject on same video!

ECC hoppers behind the 60 at the start of the vid: I'm struggling to think why they're so far off territory, but does it give ke an excuse to get a couple of Kernow's limited eddition Tiger rail hoppers to add to some of my eastern region Speedlink sets?

Cheers knowledgeable people!

ECC owned one of the Leicestershire quarries (Croft?) at the time. The wagons in the vid are stone hoppers, nothing to do with China clay.

• 5 months later...

The bad thing happened!

post-9147-0-83036300-1442179052_thumb.jpg

Also, a friend sent me a picture of a lone tanktainer on a PFA involved in similar purposes as the original question. I can't share the picture for copyright reasons but do plan on ordering some Wild Boar Models PFAs for this purpose now.

The wagon pictured above needs some tlc then will be added to my domestic coal fleet. My initial posting of it indicates that it's an Applebys resin mould container and it's mounted on a Hornby chassis. When compared to the Russell containers linked in the second post on this thread however, it is missing ribbing in the lower half. A detail that I'm not going to let bother me!

Archived