"northern railways magazine"

18B

If I recall correctly, it started out as North West railways and then became Norhern Railways, covering the geography it's titles would suggest. ( just scrolled back in your link and that is correct).

It was a roughly A5 sized publication, card covers, mix of photographs and text with good production values. It had a good mix of steam and contemporary coverage and later issues incorporated increasing use of colour.

I've a good number of them, bought at the time.

If I recall correctly, it started out as North West railways and then became Norhern Railways, covering the geography it's titles would suggest. ( just scrolled back in your link and that is correct).

It was a roughly A5 sized publication, card covers, mix of photographs and text with good production values. It had a good mix of steam and contemporary coverage and later issues incorporated increasing use of colour.

I've a good number of them, bought at the time.

Interesting stuff then

is there/would there be anything Wath or Tinsley area related in them?

Couldn't say for sure, I can't recall how far south 'Northern Railways' covered but I would think that both Wath and Tinsley would have been in it's geography. I'll have a look at some of my copies to see what I can find and report back.

Potted history.......

It started out as North West Rail Enthusiast with full colour covers in the early 1980's and Mick Haworth as Editor.  A group of photographers from the area, including me,  were regular contributors working for free. Colour was dropped by the end of 1982. By 1983 it had become Northern Railway Enthusiast with Nigel Harris added to the team. Then the mag was renamed Northern Railways and colour was reintroduced. It eventually disappeared but a new magazine was taking enthusiasts by storm called Rail Enthusiast....!  RE contacted some of us and we became correspondents for particular patches.....mine being North Wales for some 20 years. The magazine aimed to be at the forefront of railway news but considered British Rail might be put off by the title and so it was shortened to Rail. 

post-6680-0-82638900-1420577556.jpgpost-6680-0-20603200-1420577553.jpgpost-6680-0-45199700-1420577555.jpg

Had a quick look at some of my copies, I've not got a full set, and shortly after it became Northern Railway Enthusiast a map was published showing it's intended geographic coverage. It was as far south as Birmingham so Wath and Tinsley were well within its remit.

However, if you were looking for articles about either of them, certainly so far as my copies would indicate, it's the wrong magazine. Essentially it has a news section, sometimes a brief loco spotlight but mainly regular photographic essays, 'Roundabout' covering post steam, a section covering steam days and, later, a section covering preserved railways. You might find the odd relevant photograph in one of those sections. There are few articles focussing on individual locations, I did come across one on the Settle and Carlisle, but they're not regular features.

However, starting in Volume 2 issue 4 there is a six part series on 'Improving Your Railway Photography' by..........Larry Goddard!!

Hope that's of some help.

Archived