Freight traffic to Capper Pass Smelter in the late 1970's

portlandbill

Would anybody have information about the type of freight to and from the RTZ/Capper Pass Smelter in the late 70's early 80's?

I know it received low grade Bolivian ore in open air braked wagons from Avonmouth but I have seen photos with air braked vans.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

Would anybody have information about the type of freight to and from the RTZ/Capper Pass Smelter in the late 70's early 80's?

I know it received low grade Bolivian ore in open air braked wagons from Avonmouth but I have seen photos with air braked vans.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

I believe that some imported ore was despatched from Avonmouth Docks in 20' ISO half-height containers. These were loaded in pairs in the same converted Boplate Es that had been used for containerised china clay. Might the air-braked vans have brought ingots of semi-refined tin, possibly from what was generally called 'Imperial Smelting' at Avonmouth? This was a zinc smelter, but I believe both tin and lead were found in association with zinc in ore from some areas (along with silver in some instances).

I assume you mean Capper Pass at Melton Lane on the north bank of the Humber!

If I remember correctly that they took in all sorts of material containing "tin" for refining in to pure tin.

The Capper Pass PSA's PR255xxx series wagons were built by Procor and hired to them, OBA's were used on Speedlink services to Melton Lane!

Mark Saunders

Archived