Farish N Loco - Bizarre fault - advice welcomed

Popsicle49

Hello, I'd appreciate some help with a running fault which has me puzzled but that could be because I'm technically a bit challenged. I have a Farish Duchess, bought nearly twenty ago for my son. It has a 3-pole motor but despite this, has always been a stalwart and dependable runner. I've just finished my own non-DCC layout and gave it its first outing.  Starting from stationary,  I had to apply more power than usual from the Gaugemaster Model D controller, turning the knob to between 40-50 before it set off quite nicely.  It proceeded round the track running slowly then suddenly started to accelerate through a medium speed, eventually reaching an insanely unrealistic rate of knots.  On turning it down to an accurate top speed it then worked consistently and could be brought to a nice gradual stop.  I then tried it with an old Farish controller but had the same probs.

Does it sound as though it's worth sending it for repair and is it poss to say whether repair might be feasible?  It owes me nothing price-wise but it's such a lovely loco I'd hate to have to pension it off.

TIA

Popsicle49

• RMweb Gold

Can you get to a local show that has a loco workshop on the Bill?

That way you can enjoy the show, pickup some bits n bobs AND get the loco looked at by a knowledgeable person.

Kev.

How long since you last used the loco?

Did you try it immediately afterwards on the Farish controller, or some time later?

Sounds like the mechanism is loosening up as it warms up, but not if you switched immediately between controllers as it would still be warm.

A thorough dismantling and clean would be my first step.

Andrew

It sounds as though grease has hardened which softens as the loco runs, hardening quickly between runs.

A couple of good runs with a bit of oil to slowly soften it may resolve the issue but a strip-down and clean would be my preference.

It is something that can be done yourself or a local model shop should be able to

Archived