"Piggybacking" decoders - How, exactly..?!?

F-UnitMad

Here's something I've heard mention of but even Google throws up precious little info on exactly how to do it...

How are decoders 'piggybacked'??

Here's my situation: I have a Soundtrax Tsunami decoder in an HO loco, which the last time I tried it seems to have lost it's motor drive capability - as the speed steps were increased, the engine noise went up but the loco didn't move. Previously it had been fine.

I have an O Scale Atlas/ Red Caboose GP9 with a big Pittman single motor. For this I have bought an NCE D408SR 4amp (non-sound) decoder. To get it sound-fitted, could I 'piggyback' the 1amp Tsunami onto the D408SR, & more to the point - how do I do this?? Which wires & connections need to be made between the two, essentially so that the Tsunami doesn't get overloaded by the motor current draw??

There's nothing in the D408SR instruction sheet about how to do this.

Any help very gratefully received!!

p.s. I quite like the Manual Notching on the Tsunami, so synching engine revs to loco speed isn't really an issue.

If either the Sound decoder, or the original silent decoder, supports 'locking', then that is the better way of programming them without affecting the other.

Another requirement / desirable option might be to reprogram which Function key a function responds to - so that, for example, sounding a horn does not always turn the lights on or off (An expample of conflicting 'F1' commands on some decoders I have, in a similar situation)

If 'locking' is NOT an option, then a switch in line with one of the trackpower connections to 1 of the decoders would allow isolation during programming of the other.

Archived