Stanier Princess Royal class boiler arrangements

davetheroad

I was checking out the Hornby Princess Royal class pacifics. not tender drive but the later ones with 5 pole skew wound motors. It appears that Lady Patricia which was released in weathered BR blue has a different top arrangement on the boiler. Basically just one centrally located 'dome' in contrast to the rest of the models which have the dome further back near the firebox. Is this correct? or were Hornby just using an older less accurate body moulding?

I was checking out the Hornby Princess Royal class pacifics. not tender drive but the later ones with 5 pole skew wound motors. It appears that Lady Patricia which was released in weathered BR blue has a different top arrangement on the boiler. Basically just one centrally located 'dome' in contrast to the rest of the models which have the dome further back near the firebox. Is this correct? or were Hornby just using an older less accurate body moulding?

Hi,

Hornby are correct here as they are using the right boiler arrangement for each loco during the period of thelivery carried.

Boiler design development meant that several variations of fittings and positions existed.

Regards

The single 'dome' is actually the top feed. Initially, the boilers did not have a dome and the regulator was mounted in the superheater header in the smokebox. Later, all Lizzie (Class 1) boilers were fitted with domes between the top feed and the firebox, the previous circular top feed cover (the sheet metal bit) then being replaced by a narrow one. I think it was 1956 when all boilers had been modified.

Great replies people.

So Lady Patricia with her blue livery and single top feed (dome) is correct

What about a green Queen Maud with early emblem and both feed and dome, correct for 1952 to 56?

Princess Louise in her LMS crimson has both feed and dome, i suppose this is wrong?

Now i just need to find some models.

ps - does anyone know anything about Duchess chimneys? I was looking at pre ww2 non streamlined builds and the models all have double chimneys but were built with singles. Is there a conversion kit available?

You really do need to refer to photos as boilers were modified at different times, so a loco might appear with a dome, and then after its next Heavy repair, revert to being domeless. 6201 started without a dome, boiler No, 6049, but was given domed boiler No. 6050 in 1936 in time for her six-hour London - Glasgow test train. You need also to bear in mind that there were two different lengths of firebox (with different number of washout plugs) and again, either type could appear on a particular engine throughout its life.

The original Big 'uns (Duchesses to the uninitiated!) were built with single chimneys, but in February 1939, No. 6234 was given the first double chimney. All built after this had double chimneys from new, and the earlier engines were all given them, although the job wasn't complete until 1944.

Archived