LNER Class A4 Tenders

Hello all,

I'd like to ask the knowledgably RM Webbers the following questions. Assuming Kings Cross is the departure destination:

1: How far could a LNER Class A4, (with standard corridor tender), travel, before having to stop for coal and water?

2: Was the standard corridor tender fitted with a water scoop?

3: Did the LNER have, or plan, a non-stop run from Kings Cross to Aberdeen, or a non-stop run from Kings Cross to Glasgow Queen Street?

Once again, many thanks in advance to all who respond.

Yours, a (not very knowledgably) Gresley fan...(a.k.a Grant)

At least 408.6 miles, that being achieved when a diversion was in force to get around landslips between Berwick and Dunbar. This diversionary route included a gradient more severe than Shap, but it was found possible to climb this without a banker in the course of the non-stop run, with loadings up to 435 tons.

There was a water scoop on the corridor tenders, and very necessary too, approximately 12,000 gallons being the minimum London-Edinburgh consumption, against 5,000 in the tender tank.

Never seen anything to indicate a plan for a longer non-stop run. The economics of non-stop between London and Edinburgh were pretty marginal.

In winter, with both fast and heavily loaded trains, the extra demand for train heat and operation into headwinds could test the tender's coal capacity. An up service once had to stop for coal at Hitchin. It was the custom of the crews on the longer runs to top off the tender immediately before going off shed, in order to have maximum fuel available, the heap above the tender sides often looking to be out of gauge.

I'd read something similar from PN Townend, the ex-shedmaster at King's Cross "Top Shed", about coal.

The crews would go under the coaling stage, then sneak back under it for a top-off if the shedmaster wasn't watching, often ending up with coal everywhere and wildly out of gauge.

As for water, no loco could do the non-stop runs if it hadn't been for the water troughs. AFAIK, all of the larger loco tenders had water scoops.

Because of the end of steam on the ECM, it was necessary for The Flying Scotsman (being privately preserved and IIRC the only locomotive subsequently to be permitted to run on that line's BR steels some time after) to later have a separate water tender constructed if you recall, because the water troughs were removed (as Diesels didn't need them)shortly after the ban on steam locomotives was announced. Said Tender at one time I believe carried BR Blue livery, and looked rather odd.

The tender has been modelled by Hornby in preservation LNER Liveries and in BR blue Livery AFAIK and has been available in a three part set a few times.

Jules

Thanks lads for the replies.

In "my model world", I was thinking of constructing a bogie tender which would consist of a normal tender at the front, (with corridor connection), mated to half a full brake, (which would house crew quarters), and running on coach bogies. Whilst this monster combination of class A4 and "super tender" wouldn't fit on normal turntables, I'd only have to imagine that four turntables were built for the non-stop running engines to turn around on. The turntables would be at Kings Cross Top Shed, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

It's amazing what you can do in the "model" world!!! :D

Grant

Archived