Wiring Peco Code 75 Electrofrog Single Slip for DCC operation

Question,

How do you wire up a Peco electrofrog single slip for DCC operation ?

I will not be using point motors at all, but I am using 'slide switches' to operate points (wire in tube connected to the slide handle) and the switch will also be used to change polarity. One of the slide switches can be seen in the pic below.

Do I need to remove any of the wires that come with the slip and solder on new wires ??

post-14327-0-95725100-1421206110_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Premium

Gary:

you are best using the wires provided. I don't have any slips, but with the other points I drill a hole where the frog will go and others where the other wires come out.  You can drill under where the sleepers will go or at the side if you don't mind the looks.

You're best to add an extra length of wire (insulated) on the end of Peco's wire. Your choice of before or after it goes through the hole. You'll want 2 wires on each of the side pieces. And the side wires go to the outer terminals on the switches and the frog wires to the center terminals. Test before doing the final soldering.

Does the slip switch have the tabs to be removed to isolate the frog or are they already gone?

• RMweb Gold

There are no tabs on these slips to be removed, unlike on the simple code 75 Electrofrog turnouts.

I have found the wires on these slips to be flimsy and easily come adrift when you pull them through the baseboard.  I normally remove them and solder new wires on before laying them.

When connecting the frog wires to the switch, each wire needs to go to the switch at the opposite end.

Archived