TheRailwayStation.tv

Andy Y

A new Internet-based railway 'TV Station' has recently been launched by the Railscene team. The idea is to provide railway enthusiasts with a 'centre of excellence' to which they can turn to see quality railway programmes provided by a team of railway enthusiasts at any time they wish.

The station takes advantage of recent developments in Internet technology to 'stream' programmes directly to your computer. These are 'buffered' (a nice railway term!) so you can watch them whenever you want, free from scheduling.

The policy is to provide films the viewer will actually want to see, rather than the often jumpy and erratic stuff that appears on many of the public service Internet sites. To that end, TheRailwayStation.tv carries no advertising and asks people to pay to watch its films. The amounts charged start at 29p for the shorter features (up to 5 minutes) and go up to 99p for an hour-long feature. The service provider need lots of people to do that, and invite you have a look, and, if you like it, do so. There are a number of free views by way of 'tasters' spread throughout the station so you don't have to pay straight away, and, at present, for a limited period, you can watch any of the features on the site for free!

Initially they cover the prototype scene, but the programme providers want to incorporate modelling features in time, along the lines of their RailScale series. At present they have 50-odd films ranging from Steam-hauled goods trains on the national network in recent times (the famous ballast train behind the 8F on the S&C in 2000 is one) to heritage diesels working in the Welsh valleys and Union Pacific's mighty Challenger working across the Mid-West of the USA. They also have a few real archive (i.e. pre-1968) films. The intention is to build up a 'NewSTeam' of cameramen to bring you all the most recent action from railways across the whole world!

So, go and see the trains at http://www.TheRailwayStation.tv and, for a limited period, you can watch any of them for free!

Well this is a great improvement and a joy to watch, no more wobbly shots and amateur video camera work that is flooding the file sharing sites! This is crafted filming and editing work at its best and certainly worth the small cost to watch, its free at the moment so a bonus to those of you who are tight with your wallets!

Ive subscribed and have been enjoying the footage, great stuff, totally recommended. Usual disclaimer, just a satisfied customer.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a great site.

Has anyone used the full features of this site?

http://www.modelrailway.tv/

Yes, I have recently subscribed for one year (£24.00)

Mainly because I was impressed by the previews where Roy Hickman build a cottage using cereal packages and other free stuff. Much the same as I try to do on my own layout. By watching the full programmes I have learnt a lot from Roy.

Sadly, their main presenter Nigel Overington died recently, but I think the channel have big plans for the future even though Nigel's death was a big loss.

If I should be slightly critical, the producers should use footage from layouts slightly more during interviews, as it tend to be a bit boring just seeing people conversate about things they spot on a layout, while the viewers are unable to get a glimpse of it

Archived