RMweb

My Layout

class156

Looks realy good size layout you have here :senile: :sungum:

I'm not very good with the scenery though, just needing some tips and ideas how to improve it. The station and buildings on the right sidings have never really been easy to work with and I'm struggling to know what to do with that area for scenery.

I'm planning on doing a tramway and docks type scenery as was once used by Southern in Waymouth. I'm planning to build it down the right hand side of the layout. I hope to use low relief buildings for this on one side, with fake, realistic water for the harbour/docks on the other, opening out to a station at a berthing dock where a cruise ship/island ship might be wating for the train and passengers. 

You may find over time that freight gives more play value with shunting and reforming trains whereas passenger servivices tend to stay in fixed formations

That is very true. One problem I have is the small Bachmann and Dapol couplings tend to decouple regularly over decouplers on the track. Any ideas how I migh resolve this? I suspect it's due to the fact that they are light and empty or lack of resistance on the couplers themelves?

Take the couplers out they are more of pain than they are worth.

I have a couple of Guagemaster motorised uncouplers which are very good

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/tlu-gaugemaster-tension-lock-uncoupler-for-ooho-5865-p.asp

Peco make a similar product "PL-25 Peco Electro-Magnetic Uncoupler Unit"

I made a couple of small uncoupling devices from plastic card. I saw them being used at a show as per the attached photo, you insert them between two vehicles and the weight at the top ensures they lean back and lift the dropper you can then drive the train away and the device comes free, I will try and draw it up with some dimensions on.

the yellow and green tape is only there as I keep putting them down and loosing them.

post-19340-0-77923700-1431002119_thumb.jpg

I'm not very good with the scenery though, just needing some tips and ideas how to improve it. The station and buildings on the right sidings have never really been easy to work with and I'm struggling to know what to do with that area for scenery.

I'm planning on doing a tramway and docks type scenery as was once used by Southern in Waymouth. I'm planning to build it down the right hand side of the layout. I hope to use low relief buildings for this on one side, with fake, realistic water for the harbour/docks on the other, opening out to a station at a berthing dock where a cruise ship/island ship might be wating for the train and passengers. 

You don't know what you can do until you try it sounds as if you have a good idea of what you want to achieve, that is the main thing.

Have a go you may surprise yourself. Don't worry  if it doesn't turn out right first time just rework it.

For using relisting water look at this link on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7dKCtACzLI

search for everard junction canal scene, there are 5 parts

there are many other videos on scenery which you find of use

• 1 month later...

I have set up all my class 08s for a photo. From left to Right we have:

Swallow livery, weathered BR blue livery, departmental grey livery, Mainline livery and Freightliner livery. 

All are Bachman models.

post-25188-0-22412500-1434698883_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

It's been a while since I've done anything on the layout, but have begun getting stuck in to it again.

The first pic shows what I've decided to do with the houses/pub. It was mentioned here that the houses don't work, I agree and now they are away. I've left only the pub with the space on the right of the pub to become the outdoor pub area with benches and such like.

The second pic shows the area behind the controls/sitting area. This has been cleared and will be painted all grey. I purchased Sevenoaks bus station card model from Kingsway models and is ready to be built without the LT logos/signs as It's the architecture of the building I like more than it being based on a specific bus station. This will go in that area with some more buses.

The third pic shows the main station and the buses have been changed to Southern National and Hants and Dorset, which will also go with the bus station, as it's a Dorset and Hampshire themed layout, loosely based on themes from these areas from the 70s/80s.

The last pic shows the shortened station, which clearly shows that a 5 Brighton Belle can't fit well along it, so that will use the main station and 2/3 car DMUs use this one.

All a work in progress and progress will follow as and when.

post-25188-0-66627500-1452176650.jpg

post-25188-0-46141400-1452176651.jpg

post-25188-0-15616500-1452176652.jpg

post-25188-0-38540200-1452176653.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is another update. I have decided to scrap the Hornby station and make 3 purpose build Metcalf platforms. The station will require more work to finish the car park.

The baseboard is now grey and houses the bus station scene, still WIP at the moment.

The pub now has some wood benches, for an outdoor pub scene. I might get some figures for them.

post-25188-0-97261600-1454510970.jpg

post-25188-0-19786200-1454510972.jpg

post-25188-0-97881000-1454510972.jpg

Archived