Lidl - Temperature Controlled Soldering Station

Rumblestripe

Hi,

Early(ish) this morning I wen to Lidl an bought one of these  - here is a photo of the contents of the box .

The guarantee is for 3 years; don't forget also they have a selection in the 'Specials' at the moment of a large box and other smaller ones of modellers 'bits and pieces' that are quite good.

Yours Peter.

post-8192-0-41450000-1421947017.jpg

Got mine this morning looks good value. With regards to the guarantee Lidl by law have to manage returns so if it should fail take it back to your local store. The store i purchased my from informed me to keep the sale receipt in case of issues and that was before I read anything on RMweb.

XF

Got mine this morning looks good value. With regards to the guarantee Lidl by law have to manage returns so if it should fail take it back to your local store. The store i purchased my from informed me to keep the sale receipt in case of issues and that was before I read anything on RMweb.

XF

I'm not sure that the till receipt will still be legible in three years time, so I scan all my Lidl receipts into my pc. I have also seen reports of some special offer tools failing and being refunded without quibble years after purchase. 

• RMweb Gold

I didn't bother with the soldering iron for fear of growing a ridiculous beard but i did pick up a couple of packs of the multi tool cutting discs, they were 2 for £4 iirc.

they also had the set with all sorts of different multitool pieces in but i've got most of the bits and bobs in there already from rpevious raids on lidl and aldi but go through cutting discs like crazy so being able to just get those has been spot on

D40B1279-1BF6-405A-87BC-3A69EC135806.jpg

Edited by big jim

This is not a Lidl guarantee, if it does not last 3 years you have to contact Germany not simply a question of back to the store. Can get pricey!

Do you have experience of that, judging by comments on hotdeals uk they usually send out a replacement and may arrange for the faulty one to be collected at their expense not yours. Edited by Butler Henderson

I bought some of the tools.

They don't fit the Lidl rechargeable 'dremel'...

Unless there's a spare collet somewhere that's ended up in another toolbox.

Soldering iron looks fine, but I haven't tried it yet. Beard's too short...

• RMweb Gold

It doesn't actually say "temperature-controlled", i.e. thermostatic. The control knob may be just a triac power control, similar to a lamp dimmer.

Reports from another group confirm that this is a simple power control 0-48watts, not thermostatic to hold a set temperature. Hence the low price.

Still very useful of course.

Martin.

I thought I'd just ask again: is this soldering iron suitable for constructing brass coach kits? Is the wattage and heat of the right level to do so? 

Haven't soldered since I was 14 and at school, so I would really appreciate an informed opinion!

Thanks, 

CoY

At 48 watts it should be fine for 4mm coach kits at least. I do most of my etched kit construction with a 25 watt Antex.

This is not a Lidl guarantee, if it does not last 3 years you have to contact Germany not simply a question of back to the store. Can get pricey!

Not neccessarily true.

The sale of goods act trumps all manufacturer or retailer warranties. How long you get (up to 6 years) depends on the reasonable expectation of the products longevity. E.g. I expect my £100 Antex to last and I would certainly claim outside the normal "guarantee" period, except it's already well over 6 years old. For a sub £10 Aldi jobbie, expectations are obviously lower and may well have to rely on the retailers or manufacturers goodwill.

Andrew

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was in Lidl, Maryhill Road, Glasgow this morning getting my messages, as we say in these parts. 

The soldering station and a selection of the parkside mini drill tools were available, seems to be the same £ 8.99 and 2 for £4 that they were last year. No idea about the soldering iron, but the mini drill brushes I bought seem fine to me for the price. 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

My Lidl temperature controlled soldering station stopped working the other week.

The entire end fell off the iron and fell inside the housing.

I'd used it only few times.

A friends Lidl temperature controlled soldering station pretty quickly melted itself - the holder for the iron misbehaved and allowed the hot iron to touch the housing.

Regards

Nick