HF track cleaner and LEDs

ian_g_griffiths

Hi,

We are using Gaugemaster HF track cleaners together with graphite from carpenters pencils to achieve excellent running on the club layout. I would like to add some flashing LEDs to a new piece of rolling stock currently under design. Does anyone know what volyage the HF cleaners kick out? Or what components would be suitable to stabilise the voltage for driving the LEDs?

Ian

Hi Ian,

As you're trying to remove a high frequency voltage, I'd probably start with a low pass filter (resistor and capacitor in the most basic form). That should block the HF regardless of voltage.

The component values will be dictated by the frequency you're blocking.

Cheers,

Mark

Ps replying on my phone so can't easily add a link to show you what I mean!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian,

As you're trying to remove a high frequency voltage, I'd probably start with a low pass filter (resistor and capacitor in the most basic form). That should block the HF regardless of voltage.

The component values will be dictated by the frequency you're blocking.

Cheers,

Mark

Ps replying on my phone so can't easily add a link to show you what I mean!

Not something I've tried, but you'd have to be careful of values. Otherwise you might stop the HF cleaner from working at all.

Not something I've tried, but you'd have to be careful of values. Otherwise you might stop the HF cleaner from working at all.

Put the filter inside the stock in question. The output of the filter goes to the led (with HF filtered out), anything on the input side (like the track) will remain unchanged and still have the HF.

Cheers,

Mark

If there is any pick up on a train that is independent of the loco then a HF track cleaner won't work. Any load on the rails will stop the HF voltage being applied.  So if your loco is on dirty track, but your illuminated carriages are not, then you will have a nicely lit train and an unpowered loco...

It also means that the LED's would never see the higher voltage, as their own current draw would stop the higher voltage being applied.

Archived