Train Formations

class156

Here is the Brighton Belle with 2 of the 3 extra coached required for a 5 car. The final coach will be picked up later to finish it. I put the Pullman class 73 back onto the Pullman coaches and ran the 2 trains together for that othentic Southern Electric feel.

Enjoy

• 2 months later...

I finally invested in a class 33 in blue with FYE. It does look great pulling the Pullman coaches, although the head codes are incorrect for a Pullman train, but I supose by then it was VSOE and therefore doesn't matter about the wrong head codes. I'll try get a video of it when my laptop is back running again.

• RMweb Premium

Since electrification in 1933 the Brighton Belle (initially the Southern Belle) has been formed of one or two of the 5Bel EMU sets and has never been a locomotive-worked operation other than possibly a rescue mission for a disabled unit though I have no record of this ever occurring.  When ice and snow have interrupted electric services and diesel traction has been used the Belle was invariably cancelled.  It is not correct therefore to run a Brighton Belle with any locomotive in the formation.  When the units were about to be withdrawn a party of visiting Americans were enchanted with "this quaint train" and thought thy might buy it "But not the locomotive as well".  Those comments were reported in several newspapers at the time including the Brighton Evening Argus and the SEG journal Live Rail.  Clearly they were unfamiliar with the EMU concept.

The Thanet Belle was normally steam hauled and pre-dated Kent Coast electrification meaning it could not have been worked by class 73 locomotives.  Likewise the Bournemouth Belle was withdrawn upon electrification of the route and was never electrically worked.

As Ian noted above the remaining scheduled SR Pullmans over electrified routes were single cars formed within EMU sets of 6Pul and later 4Pul formations.  Back in the 1930s the SR felt it necessary to offer a superior quality of catering service to its Brighton line passengers.  The 6Pul sets sometimes formed the Littlehampton or Eastbourne portion of a coast-line train with a 6Pan detached at Worthing Central or Eastboune for West Worthing (unadvertised) or Hastings / Ore respectively.  No locomotives were involved.

The Golden Arrow included Pullman cars which were repainted into BR blue-grey livery to match the other vehicles and which ended its days being hailed by class 71 locomotives though I cannot trace any record of a 73 being substituted.  I'm not even sure all the South Eastern men back in the day would have signed 73s as 71s were their normal electric traction and 33s for diesel workings.

All subsequent operations have been charters and private operations of one sort or another most commonly the VSOE which includes some ex-Brighton Belle and 6Pul cars.  These operations are generally too heavy for a solo 73 although one has occasionally been used on the rear as is often the case with charter operations nowadays.  The Pullman-liveried 73101 repaint was in connection with its naming as a "celebrity" loco and not specifically to work with Pullman cars.

Many longer-term Brighton line commuters and older residents have never forgiven BR for withdrawal of the Brighton Belle even though the units were life-expired and would have had to be replaced anyway.  The subsequent 4Big buffet car offering with a scrummage at the counter and a table seat only if you were very lucky - and now the occasional and erratic passage of a trolley through the train on a good day - in no way makes up for the delights of table service and a decent cooked supper on the way home.  Not to mention the kippers!

I am planning to get a class 71 when available from Hornby. Are there any individual blue/grey coaches available from Hornby, other than those in the Golden Arrow set? I'd like to do a Golden Arrow class 71 train when available

Archived