TRAIN TECH SOUND CAPSULE

paul 27

I got one a few months ago when a lot of DCC sound enthusiasts on another forum were really slating it.  It is a self-contained unit with battery and a trembler-switch type thingy that detects vibrations.  The idea is that if it (and the train) isn't moving then it will first go into 'resting' mode (with sounds from a locomotive in steam but waiting) and then later switches itself off until the train starts moving again.

It didn't sound too bad to my my ears, but I tend to consider sound to be a bit of a novelty, and have low expectations.  I think it would be better with a continuous layout, or at least with a longer run than my 13' by 10' L-shaped layout.

With the acoustic tube and motion-detector, it is a little larger than you might imagine from reading their website.  I fitted mine into one of the guards' compartments.  I made no attempt to put it inside the Hornby M7 locomotive.

The problem that I have with it is that the room my layout is in is next to a main road.  The stock is stored by the exterior wall that separates my house from the main road.  Whenever reasonably heavy traffic such as large vans, lorries or agricultural machinery pass, you get steam train noises.  Not a huge problem, but I have got to change the battery, which means taking the coach body off again when I can be bothered.  The batteries are not that dear, and are reasonably easily available; I got mine from the electrical shop in in the middle of Gorna Oryahovitsa.

A friend of mine has got one and really likes it, as Richard Lee says it is more effective when you have a continuous run, when you try and shunt with it then it takes some time to "catch up" with the movement of the train. Also it is a large unit so has been fitted in a van rather than the loco so again if you leave the van in the siding it is the van not the loco making noise. As a lay person I would say if you are desperate to have sound as a bit of a novelty and don't want to /can't afford DCC then it is worth a punt.

Archived