When were the last 4-SUB's repainted from green to blue?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Building a small SR layout based in the late 60's/early 70's and plan to get several kit 4-SUB's but wondered if any lasted in green into the 70's?

Julian Sprott

[Ref. Brown: Southern Electric Vol.1]

Subs started to receive Blue from July 1966 onwards at Eastleigh on overhaul. The first 15 (at least) received Blue with small yellow panels, the remainder full yellow ends. Subs receiving minor attention at Selhurst were still being revarnished in Green until December 1968, then started repainting/revarnishing in Blue. Most of the Subs were in Blue when the first withdrawls started in the early 70s, the last Green ones were withdrawn without ever receiving Blue, amongst the others withdrawn in 1972. Thus from the start of 1973, all remaining Subs were in Blue with full yellow ends. 4732 reverted to Green (with (modified) yellow warning ends) in 1982.

• 2 months later...

It doesn't really help much but I can remember catching a green painted Queen of Sheeba 4Sub unit from Hounslow in 1969. The unit had been in the stabling sidings that used to be there for some weeks but on that afternoon it came out. I don't think it could have had long left in service because the paint was quite faded and the warning sign of a fine for looking out of the window was for £5 when in every other train it was £25. I never saw the unit again after that.

Regards,

Nigel

Archived