RMweb

olivias trains class 76

I'm not sure there is anything from the trade that corresponds to the Woodhead structures, and exhibition layouts such as Deepcar and the 00 layout by Gary Atkinson have featured home made stanchions etc., made out of brass IIRC.

Sommerfeldt probably do something that looks a bit like, but prepare for serious expense if you go that route.

John.

I don't have any of these locos, waaaaay over my price range, but if I remember correctly the pantographs are pretty much useless. There's nothing to stop them folding over when being pulled along the wire. The springing is also really strong so would most likely distort any wire anyway, such that it would jam up.

Somewhere there's a lengthy thread on detailing these, and pointing out the shortcomings.

I know nothing about the Heljan models or overhead catenary - but I do know that Triang produced a rather nice model of the Woodehead electrics? Triang also produced overhead catenary which could well predate the 25kV equipment on the Big Railway.  Is the old Triang product any use as a starting point?

Regards

Ray

Best book for information is" Woodhead, the electric railway by E.M Johnson published by Booklaw/foxline.The catenary system was pretty simple & robust mainly formed of H girders.Plenty of pics & diagrams in that book.

Ray.

I know nothing about the Heljan models or overhead catenary - but I do know that Triang produced a rather nice model of the Woodehead electrics? Triang also produced overhead catenary which could well predate the 25kV equipment on the Big Railway.  Is the old Triang product any use as a starting point?

Regards

Ray

The Triang model was of the EM2 (Class 77) Co-Co passenger loco. Trix made an EM1 (Class 76). The Triang model is actually pretty good and still stands up well today. The catenary however is entirely fictitious, it's a good robust trainset system but won't cut it in the scale model stakes, and the masts/gantries don't resemble Woodhead structures. 

The Triang model was of the EM2 (Class 77) Co-Co passenger loco. Trix made an EM1 (Class 76). The Triang model is actually pretty good and still stands up well today. The catenary however is entirely fictitious, it's a good robust trainset system but won't cut it in the scale model stakes, and the masts/gantries don't resemble Woodhead structures. 

thanks guys for your tips,read some other stories about this locos design and some unhappy folks out there,ill keep off it.

You might find some mileage in looking for Dutch model railway equipment as the systems were very similar.  I couldn't quickly find a perfect fit though:

http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh_detail.asp?mn=24&ca=32&sc=HO&stock=SOM-570

http://lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/images/donations/Bernard%20Coomber/Woodhead/Class%20EM2%20Electric%20Co-co%20locomotive%20circa%20summer%20of%20'65.jpg

Archived