Churchill Pullman Numbers

Jawfin

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Could anyone kindly inform me of the numbers of the coaches used in Churchill's funeral train? The number of, "Leona," (the one at the front) in particular would be most helpful

Thanks in advance

Hi there

Have a look at this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93810-winston-churchill-anniversary-train-pack/

Think you might find the info you are after there

Kind regards

Phil

And sorry to be a bother, but does anyone know what company 207 was built for, or anything similar of interest?

You mean Car 208.

Some of the answers above are not quite correct, strictly speaking.

According to Antony Ford It was built as the K-Type 26 seat First Class parlour car Leona in December 1927 for use on the LNER.

It was transferred to the Southern for use on the Golden Arrow in September 1928. Later it was used on Ocean Liner and Royal or State Special trains.

In April 1947 it was rebuilt as a Third Class Guard Parlour Car No 208 for the Devon Belle.

Around 1951 it was plated over and restyled (square lavatory windows) to match the new Festival Pullmans built for the Golden Arrow that year and returned to the train.

It was later re-classified as First Class but kept its number rather than given back its name and kept the three abreast (two on one side, one on the other) seating of the old third class cars. It survived to receive the blue and white livery and was sold for preservation in 1969.

My list of the train is:

Loco BOB "Winston Churchill" with 3 discs in a "V" shape. 2 on the smokebox door brackets, 1 on the lower centre bracket.

Brake Car No.208

SR PMV S2464S in special "Pullman style" livery. (The centre pair of doors were fitted with windows.) The Hornby model I have has no lettering. Is this correct?

First Class Car "CARINA"

First Class Car "LYDIA"

First Class Car "PERSEUS"

Brake Car "ISLE OF THANET"

gallery_12119_3541_524934.jpg

The SR PMV as modelled by Hornby. This is the earlier solo release.

gallery_12119_3541_380026.jpg

Archived