What pc?

Desk top PC's these days are aimed more at gamers than people who want to use them as a sophisticated drawing tool.

You don't need a high end graphics card, surround sound and fantastic speed. you also don't need a massive amount of physical memory.

A medium priced PC should be able to deal with anything you are likely to throw at it, unless you want to use Photoshop or a similar graphics program.

The general rule of thumb is to buy the best you can afford, and don't be swayed by the salesman, stay away from Dell, HP and Compaq.

Look at what companies like Novatech are offering, and have a browse at e-buyer as well.

What's your budget?  

Also, I agree with almost all of the previous poster's points but I don't entirely agree with the advice to steer clear of the big names.  There's a reason why most businesses buy from them: good support.  

If you're just using the drawing part of the CAD program, what Graham Walters said is correct. However, if you intend to use the 3D capabilities of the CAD program, you will certainly need a high end graphics card.

Bearing in mind that Microsoft Windows 10 is on the horizon, I would suggest you work to their minimum specs for W10, which are 

·         Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

·         RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

·         Free hard disk space: 16 GB

·         Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

These are minimums, at work we run on 2Gb RAM for 32 bit W7 and 4Gb RAM for 64 bit so I would suggest 4Gb RAM at least (RAM is so cheap these days, the more you can get the better). I suspect you will find the smallest hard drives available will be 500Gb, with more available at 1Tb. That should last you for quite some time!

Lastly, (and this will cause arguments!) I would try and get an AMD processor rather than Intel if you can. You will get more processing power for lesser money.

Hope that helps - if it's caused more questions, feel free to ask.

Phil

If you're just using the drawing part of the CAD program, what Graham Walters said is correct. However, if you intend to use the 3D capabilities of the CAD program, you will certainly need a high end graphics card.

Bearing in mind that Microsoft Windows 10 is on the horizon, I would suggest you work to their minimum specs for W10, which are 

·         Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

·         RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

·         Free hard disk space: 16 GB

·         Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

These are minimums, at work we run on 2Gb RAM for 32 bit W7 and 4Gb RAM for 64 bit so I would suggest 4Gb RAM at least (RAM is so cheap these days, the more you can get the better). I suspect you will find the smallest hard drives available will be 500Gb, with more available at 1Tb. That should last you for quite some time!

Lastly, (and this will cause arguments!) I would try and get an AMD processor rather than Intel if you can. You will get more processing power for lesser money.

Hope that helps - if it's caused more questions, feel free to ask.

Phil

Rhino which is an excellent 3D package runs on my laptop no problem. So does AutoCad.

I said to stay away from those three for the main reasons that HP & Compaq are basically the same machines in different clothing, and are built mainly for the Curry's/PC World market, Dell support is awful, you have to read the small print, the support is only free for something like 3 months, then you have to pay, plus they don't offer support for any bundled software.

I know I'll get howls of protest at saying this, but if you have the budget, go for Apple/Mac and appropriate cad software written for that system - I doubt you'll regret it. 

Edited to add that I'm not a CAD professional but I know several, and one or two amateurs, and not one would have anything but an Apple-based system.  As a generalisation, the British seem to have an aversion to Apple, but I don't know why.  Cost doesn't seem to be the thing, because (NB I live in France, and again as a massive generalisation) the French have less disposable income than the British.

• RMweb Gold

Apple is traditionally the platform of choice for people in the media and creative fields. Whether this extends to new technologies I don't know. But you seem to get far more bangs for your buck in a PC than in a Mac, where design and feel are more evident. For most of us, budget is a consideration.

MACs because of the way they are built are very difficult to upgrade.

Then there is the added problem of them not being compatible with a lot of software, which in the UK is generally more expensive than that for a Windows PC.

As far as usability goes there is no real difference between a MAC and and Windows PC.

As much as anything else I find a large monitor is valuable for this kind of work (personally and professionally). Whilst I can work on my 13ish" laptop screen the menus, buttons and sidebars can reduce the window where you are trying to 'work' considerably.

Rhino which is an excellent 3D package runs on my laptop no problem. So does AutoCad.

I said to stay away from those three for the main reasons that HP & Compaq are basically the same machines in different clothing, and are built mainly for the Curry's/PC World market, Dell support is awful, you have to read the small print, the support is only free for something like 3 months, then you have to pay, plus they don't offer support for any bundled software.

I know the Dell support is awful, and I personally won't go near them.

HP and Compaq machines are the same, and they are not only produced for Currys/PCWorld etc. They are possibly the largest computer supplier in the world, and if we're buying computers for work we always buy HP just because they build computers made to work and last in the professional environment.

Phil

I know I'll get howls of protest at saying this, but if you have the budget, go for Apple/Mac and appropriate cad software written for that system - I doubt you'll regret it. 

Edited to add that I'm not a CAD professional but I know several, and one or two amateurs, and not one would have anything but an Apple-based system.  As a generalisation, the British seem to have an aversion to Apple, but I don't know why.  Cost doesn't seem to be the thing, because (NB I live in France, and again as a massive generalisation) the French have less disposable income than the British.

WE have had Apple MACs forced on our DT department, and they also have to use PC's for the CAD/CAM work as there was, until recently, no software available for MACs. I believe that has changed now.

The comments about upgrading are part of the reason I try and steer people away from MACs, another reason is that I can repair and Windows, Linux or whatever OS based computer that isn't a MAC, but I can't touch a MAC without special tools, and if parts are needed, Apple won't sell them to me  because I'm not a registered Apple engineer.

Recently, at work, I was asked to compare price and performance of MAC to PC. Generally speaking, the cost of the a MAC was about 1.5 to 2 times more expensive than an equivalent PC. That's why I buy PC's!

Phil

I always start with the software, and work backwards to find the machine that will run it effectively.  I mostly use 3ds max for work, which means I run Windows.  I've looked for software that I like on the Mac, but haven't found anything that would justify the transition.  Windows also has far more options in terms of graphics cards, which is important in my work.  I know the stereotype is that creatives use Macs, but I don't find that to be the case.

• 2 weeks later...

I always start with the software, and work backwards to find the machine that will run it effectively.  I mostly use 3ds max for work, which means I run Windows.  I've looked for software that I like on the Mac, but haven't found anything that would justify the transition.  Windows also has far more options in terms of graphics cards, which is important in my work.  I know the stereotype is that creatives use Macs, but I don't find that to be the case.

I agree, software is the key, if its Autocad you DO need a powerful system, and a good quality LARGE monitor.

When I was trained in Autocad I practised on a 386 with a 14" Monitor, plus was also loaned a large printer, the later is also very important, as without one you wont be able to see what you have done wrong.

(reading things on a screen is not easy, a paper print out will enable you to see it better)

Well all this today costs somewhat, PC (NOT MAC) min 2.87-4 ghz processor speed, at least Dual core, as modern software will make use of it.

AMD is fine, as is Core 2 duo, i3, i5 and i7 (the later is big bucks!)

You need a minimum of 4gb of memory.

Dont worry about big name PCs, as long as you pay by credit card you will get service, and your money back! ( I have and do use Dell HP and Compac, without problems) but try and steer clear of High St so called PC expert stores!)

Graphics card, well a reasonable mid one such as Nvidia or AMD, even those built in to the AMD and Intel processors should do.

And yes a large screen dedicated Laptop will do the job.

Well I build my own PCs, but I do buy the odd one from Box shifters, for instance I've got one that would do everything you need, it cost me under £150 inc of a 19" top quality monitor (including Windows Vista 64 operating system)

Dont be tempted by PCs with Windows XP, as upgrading is very difficult, (and for those of you that thing that Vista is a rubbish system it nearly was, but now with upgrades is as good as 7 and easily upgraded from!)

Large printer, try and get a laser, as the running costs are so much cheaper.

Paul

Hello,

You might try looking at ebuyer or ccl for computers as places like PCworld are more expensive from my experience.As for large monitors use your widescreen tv if you have one and you will have all the screen space you need plus you can always watch the tv when you fancy a break. Most have a plethora of suitable sockets nowadays.

trustytrev.

I agree, software is the key, if its Autocad you DO need a powerful system, and a good quality LARGE monitor.

When I was trained in Autocad I practised on a 386 with a 14" Monitor, plus was also loaned a large printer, the later is also very important, as without one you wont be able to see what you have done wrong.

(reading things on a screen is not easy, a paper print out will enable you to see it better)

Well all this today costs somewhat, PC (NOT MAC) min 2.87-4 ghz processor speed, at least Dual core, as modern software will make use of it.

AMD is fine, as is Core 2 duo, i3, i5 and i7 (the later is big bucks!)

You need a minimum of 4gb of memory.

Dont worry about big name PCs, as long as you pay by credit card you will get service, and your money back! ( I have and do use Dell HP and Compac, without problems) but try and steer clear of High St so called PC expert stores!)

Graphics card, well a reasonable mid one such as Nvidia or AMD, even those built in to the AMD and Intel processors should do.

And yes a large screen dedicated Laptop will do the job.

Well I build my own PCs, but I do buy the odd one from Box shifters, for instance I've got one that would do everything you need, it cost me under £150 inc of a 19" top quality monitor (including Windows Vista 64 operating system)

Dont be tempted by PCs with Windows XP, as upgrading is very difficult, (and for those of you that thing that Vista is a rubbish system it nearly was, but now with upgrades is as good as 7 and easily upgraded from!)

Large printer, try and get a laser, as the running costs are so much cheaper.

Paul

Forgot Hard drive size, well anything over 160gb will do, thing to remember is not just to save work to your HD. Theres lots of free cloud storage, you can save to CD/DVD rom, even a 3.5"flopy, but why bother when USB memory stick storage is now so cheap, gosh 8gb sticks are now under a tenner online.

The other thing I forgot to mention is Plotters (instead of a large printer) they are expensive, very costly inkwise, and not for modelers use, in fact an A3 printer will do everything needed!

(you will probably get away with a standard A4)

The new 3D printers are certainly interesting, some members are already having a go at making simple componants with them, but producing detailed 3D model componants will take hours of work, and methinks mega bucks if the printer manufacturers charge as much for the compound as they do for Ink!

Paul

I know this is a very subjective topic but lets not let it slip into a slanging match about the different platforms. There has been good comments and advice and like buying a car everyone has a different one. I note OP has not come back but there is a good list of both pay and free ware in the group and these vendors will have specs for optimal running of there software and a good rule of thumb is the more memory the better.

Archived