Knottingley depot West Yorkshire

d winpenny

Having got my first question answered ive re titled the thread for general information and chat about knottingley tmd and wrd.

Original question :- Hi everybody I am looking at possibly modelling knottingley tmd around the mid to late 90's early 00's and wanted a bit more informaton on the formations that ran past what stock and where to and from apart from the obvious mgr trains any help would be appreciated I have looked on flikr and Google and got some good stuff but wanted to see what else other people have

Thanks david

If your going into privitisation then it would have been mainly EWS. Loads of MGR turns and the odd steel thrown in. Ask someone else about flows from midlands and humber, but if you want advice on flows from Teesside area I can help. Passenger would have been regional railways north east, which ran under MTK ownership before arriva trains northern got it.

Freight from teesside and the north would have been class 60 and 56 mainly, the odd 37 too. Then the GM revolution kicks in and class 66 starts to make inroads. 47s were on RES mail, before 67s arrive, as well as the odd Thunderbird duty. A lot of older EWS traction kept its older liveries such as Loadhaul and transrail. Freightliner runs a container to leeds but that might not go via Knottingly - it was a staple 47 turn until GM takes over. The odd ones that ended up surviving to the end becoming almost celebrities due to paint alone, hence the  trend which has continued on if anything in other than a corporate company livery is done today. 37116, 37698, 47114, 56027 with loadhaul only on one side, 60081, 60014/60054 being the ones off the top of my head.

Knottingley Shed in a triangle, So the main Leeds to Goole Line you had all the MGR traffic serving Drax and Eggbrorugh Power Station, Would have had some loaded workings running the wrong way that came from Hull bound to Ferrybridge Power Station. You also got the depot fuel tripped onto the Depot by K77 pilot as Knottingley Men did not know 37s. The line that runs from Knottingley west Jn to Knottingley South Jn and onwards to Askern and Shaftholme Jn would again have seen heavy MGR traffic with Anglo Scottish flows to West Burton, Cottam and Ratcliffe running along this route. Also if the line from Ferrybridge to Moorthorpe was shut for engineering operations you would also see diverted steel traffic to and from Lackenby trains formed BBA, BDA, BEA, BLA, BYA, IHA, JSA's and SSA's go passed, Also a lot of engineers traffic from Healey Mills and York Yard North/South would pass and the daily enterprise trip 6D94/95 would via this curve. The other curve from Knottingley South to East would see mainly MGR Traffic and both loaded and empty and gypsum and lime stone trains for the fgd plant drax and a lot of light loco moves on and off the shed,

6Y99

• 5 months later...

Right I have retitled the thread for more general information about the depot as I have another question

I'm struggling to find any pictures of the loco wash plant after a certain date (2009) has it now been removed and if so when? Don't currently have time to get over my self, Thanks again in advance

David

Archived