A layout - somewhere involving smoke and grime in the Midlands?

BobM

For added information I am contemplating station buildings which are in the same style of Birmingham Moor Street or a GWR theme.....or BR Western, of the early 60's....as a volunteer on the SVR I am surrounded by GWR style buildings, so have many examples to view eh?

Have you seen this site? Click on any of the stations for inspiration and loads of detail:

www.warwickshirerailways.com/

Also, a book worth hunting down is "Steaming Into Birmingham and the West Midlands"

Good luck.

aac

Have you seen this site? Click on any of the stations for inspiration and loads of detail:

www.warwickshirerailways.com/

Also, a book worth hunting down is "Steaming Into Birmingham and the West Midlands"

Good luck.

aac

Brilliant.....will check it out.....thanks much appreciated.

'We' progress with this layout....that is in as far as I have today purchased 10 x lengths of flexible peco 100 for the station layout as per the attached layout (kindly and superbly ammended by Peter K.)...I will now get down to the task of working out where the best positioning of the electrical track feeds will be and the required 'sections' associated with this layout...any comments for a novice for myself to follow to avoid slip ups or major 'howlers' would be appreciated guys...thanks in advanced anticipation...Bob...

NOTE....just  to add this is intended to be a 'point to point' layout or attached to a fiddle yard.....not at the moment intended for any added return loop.

post-20610-0-56514900-1423332362.jpg

In varying degrees...all of the above are in my blood.....the grott mostly surface grime though ! :)

Cheers for the reply 28xx   will take a look..

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob, just been taking a look at your plan and it strikes me that the duplicated crossover from the road out of Platform 4 would be better removed and a double slip put in on the road out of Platform 2 as I've redrawn below.

post-8705-0-66920100-1423649808.jpg

Then it struck me that you have no means of accessing the relief out of Plats 1 & 2 so maybe a new crossover is needed as drawn in on this version.

post-8705-0-51281800-1423649874.jpg

What do you think?

Cheers Avonside....much appreciated, I can see what you mean....that new access to the relief could be a 3 way perhaps to save space? I'll have a re-arrange and see if it'll fit into my available space.....

this exchange of ideas and information is a prime example of everything that this site stands for and it is great to see that that spirit is alive and well....

Regards to all,,,

Bob

As an aside, my only reasoning for including the two crossovers was that without it there isn't the possibility of simultaneous departure / arrival from 3 and 4 onto the mainlines....?

Hello Guys....Hope all are well?

Here are the initial thoughts to adding an engine shed and turntable to the exisiting station layout linking into the up / down and relief lines approaching the station as per the previous plans.

Just putingt these ideas down on paper and have placed put the points out on the boards, so far all seems to fit into the available space neatly and not looking cramped at all....(to me anyway at this stage)

.....the drawing and reproduction here may not be the best, but may give you guys an idea of what is behind my thinking....it is not to scale and stretched out somewhat to fit the paper....will have my tea...then get back to you to let you know my operational thinking behind the track layout.....any suggestions and alterations would be appreciated....

A photo of the station approach too.....Thanks to all as always,,,Bob

post-20610-0-16304100-1424114978_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-74188100-1424115950.jpg

Hello....

The idea behind this design is

Access directly from the down onto the turntable.........or using the 'western headshunt' access to either of the engine shed roads and both have direct access on to the turntable.......lower sidings have access to turntable..........utilising the 'western and eastern headshunt' in combination allows allows access to link to with either down or up lines to station or the intended bi-directional line to the station?

Am I overlooking any glaring problems in this design guys?

Any comments however 'destructive' I'd appreciate.....

Thanks to all in anticipation.....

Bob

post-20610-0-60230200-1424117433_thumb.jpg

Hello....

The idea behind this design is

Access directly from the down onto the turntable.........or using the 'western headshunt' access to either of the engine shed roads and both have direct access on to the turntable.......lower sidings have access to turntable..........utilising the 'western and eastern headshunt' in combination allows allows access to link to with either down or up lines to station or the intended bi-directional line to the station?

Am I overlooking any glaring problems in this design guys?

Any comments however 'destructive' I'd appreciate.....

Thanks to all in anticipation.....

Bob

Any suggestions guys for rearranging this section of my proposed layout?

Bob,

I'd stick to the goods warehouse, rather than an engine shed.

Just my view.

Peter

Thanks Peter...much appreciated.....this shed is on'ther side of the layout away from the station and associated goods shed / warehouse....I always beleive in the premise that engine sheds / stabling yards were separate and some distance away from the station.....

Keeping to the idea for the station and warehouse...the engine shed being away from this area...

Hope you're okay?  Regards Bob

Ah.

Do you have a rough plan of the entire layout Bob - I thought the engine shed was instead of the warehouse.

Ohhhh No...Wouldn't do away with the good /warehouse plan adjacent to the station....I have probably broken every rule in the book by not making a scaled plan for separate but linked 'scenic areas' , the staion being one joined to the next (engine shed scene).....the plan here has the three station lines (up /down / relief) at the top of the drawing.....with the access lines to the turntable / headshunts....

Cheers Pete,,,Many thanks

post-20610-0-52469100-1424209425_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-04569100-1424212491_thumb.jpg

Nothing wrong in the idea of separate / linked scenic areas Bob.

Here's the rough plan I have for two linked senic areas...anuy comments on the track plan for engine shed guys?

post-20610-0-04058700-1424212881_thumb.jpg

Looks good :)

Cheers....A bit nervous being a novice..putting my ideas down on here.....it is great to receive constructive comments.....which is what this site is all about..sharing information...brilliant !  Thanks everyone..

Hum,

Not sure about the access to your engine shed Bob. A direct connection off the Down Main onto the turntable looks to be the only entry point.

Whilst there's a "prototype for everything", it doesn't either look or feel operationally correct. If the turntable was out of commission, the whole shed layout wouldn't be able to operate.

Have a look at some real examples of GW practice.

Cheers Peter.....

I am thinking that the locos can access the Engine Shed using the (left) headshunt length that run off the down line from off the double slip and then run (reverse) into the shed ?

But that effectively reduces the shed to a single road, if engines are backing in/out it all the time.

There speaks the voice of sense and experience....yep can see it now....Cheers Peter....thanks for all the advice...will sleep on it... :scratchhead:

This plan for Nelson shed, is whilst not prototypical for me,,,,,the inspiration for a loco stabling or engine shed,,,,my plan has some of the features of this shed and is orientated differently but fits in with a single entry to the shed....I still search for a good plan as a basis for my shed but this is as far as I have progressed...it will no doubt alter maybe rejected completely....any comments or revamping appreciated.....Thanks for all previous help......regards...Bob :friends: post-20610-0-36031100-1424297162_thumb.jpg

Archived