A layout - somewhere involving smoke and grime in the Midlands?

BobM

There's usually a progression or 'flow' through the shed so that everything is moving the same way, for example arriving at the bottom over the ash pit and dropping the fire. 

Move into shed for any work

coal up and out. 

simplified but gives you an idea of how a shed must have been layed out

There's usually a progression or 'flow' through the shed so that everything is moving the same way, for example arriving at the bottom over the ash pit and dropping the fire. 

Move into shed for any work

coal up and out. 

simplified but gives you an idea of how a shed must have been layed out

Cheers Black Sheep..noted and appreciated comments...I am reappraising the engine shed plans for this layout as I probably have experienced a 'momentary brain fade' and over egged the plan for size of shed.....Have a great week everyone...Take care..Much appreciate the comments...Bob

What sort of space do you have planned for the shed area?

:friends: Cheers for the reply...for which I firstly must thank you....secondly please forgive me for the following 'fag packet' drawing.. which in drawing office mode is unforgiveable....however having seen your kind reply, I wanted to respond with something as soon as possible....so after opening it, went straight to the layout and 'threw' the tape measure over it and got it down on paper for you......

post-20610-0-95126200-1424715185_thumb.jpg

To explain the thinking, however ill conceived at the moment.....

I have the trailing access into the shed from both lines.....then the available board space is shown on the thumb sketch......this may not be ideal but it is all I have to 'play with due to constraints on the room....

There''s 24" from the entry points to the end of the board...then 60" depth..with then another bottom leg available if necessary at the bottom...a bit of a strange shape but that's all that's available.....

There is available board space from the entry point of 30" x 15" in the opposite direction....

I hope this is making sense...  :scratchhead:

Would like to fit an engine shed and turn table in some how....

Cheers...any suggestions would be appreciated...

Regards to all that read this.....

Bob

Hello...Thanks for the reply,,,much appreciated as is any advice that can be given.....I am contemplating running nothing any larger than a Castle or 8F as anything bigger would seem silly on the size of layout I can muster....wouldn't mind 'stabling' those out in the open but not running to any great extent.....the minimum radius would equate to peco set track 3 and 4 curves...using peco 100....I do have a station planned that is linked to the mainlines shown onto the access to any shed...

• RMweb Premium

Hope this might fit the bill.

I hope there were precedents for the coal stage being fed from the turntable. The coaling road can be accessed from the entry/ exit road or the turntable after which locos can go to shed. there may be room for an additional stabling road outside the shed.

post-9897-0-90775500-1424778405_thumb.png

I hope there were precedents for the coal stage being fed from the turntable. The coaling road can be accessed from the entry/ exit road or the turntable after which locos can go to shed. there may be room for an additional stabling road outside the shed.

Cheers my dear friend....looks far better than anything I've come up with....will have a play around with the track and points I have when I get backhome from work...can see there's going a few hours of constructive contemplation!  :sungum:  :friends:

I could always have the coaling road coming in off scene from either end ... just as a static none operational scene for effect?

Regards as always,

Bob

Hello..Siberian Snooper.....Just back and laid the points down.....seems to fit in nicely and smoothly with the available space....may give a bit of 'tweaking'...but essentially it is fine.....thanls for the assistance...much appreciated... :good_mini:

]This is my interpretation of Siberian Snoopers kind plan....I have removed the coaling tower....and hinted at something coming off scene with a non-operational coal ramp and coaling stage adjacent to the turntable?

I also intend to progress with an abridged or altered plan on the lines of Chippenham or a combination of both....all comments gratefully accepted....

post-20610-0-52829600-1424808083_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-94356600-1424810171.jpg

Depending on the railway geography of your chosen area, you might not even need a turntable, as engines might be turned on a triangle nearby.

The dummy coaling stage is an interesting compromise, though it means you can't work in loaded and take out the empty loco coal wagons.

Cheers for the comment Peter much appreciated....do you think the track layput of the shed is viable with or without the turntable.....the lack of movement on the coaling ramp may be worth it for the benefit of its atmospheric addition?

Hope you're okay?

With reference to the plans for an engine / MPD shed...Have just received a copy( of one of a brilliant set of books) by Paul Bolger detailing BR Steam Motive Power Depots on the Western Region....track plans, photos with tons of atmosphere and 'shed loads' of inspiration for modelling....  :good:

•  

• 1 month later...

This project continues to 'evolve' as one would expect.....the plans I initially had in mind were perhaps overly ambitious I now freely acknowledge, I greatly appreciated all the postings and 'steering' that you kind guys have provided and I sincerely thank you for these......

I have moved over to a new thread which I believe will form the basis for a more realistic layout....based on that so atmospheric Cambrian seaside terminus, dear old 'Aberystwyth'.....it will never be a complete reproduction but will form the theme for a fair representation....

So there's unlikely to be further posts on this thread,,,,,,,

Cheers guys......Bob

If you wish to follow the new thread it is

Aberystwyth track diagram search for possible layout

Archived