Railroad 31

Derekstuart

What is the difference?

I have seen a number of roof shots, but they all look the same to me- so either the difference is very slight or I haven't seen the Mirlees original exhaust.

Could you point me in the right direction please?

EDIT: Why is it only immediately after you ask, you spot something?

One one they are transverse exhaust ports and the other they are longitudinal? So in effect it is a model of a class 30 then- none made it to having the body side strip and buffer cowlings removed whilst still retaining their original engine. Now I see what people were getting so worked up about.

(I take it that the above is correct?)

Back to ebay for more Lima's then.... ;)

There is a large number of "irregularities" with the railroad 31....the most prominent being the exhaust ports are for the mirlees engine not the English electric engine but as mentioned its a budget model and an excellent chassis donor!

Vi trains made a 37 chassis that was almost a direct fit for Lima 37s (you have to carve the small pillars that are part of the glazing unit off). Same for the Hornby railroad 40/lima 40s.

Neil

Thanks for that info - I wasn't aware. I will have to source a ViTrains Cl 37 chassis to remotor my Lima body.

Phil

PGC, what is wrong with the Vi body? (question, not argument as I have no idea personally) or is it that the Lima one is sentimentally important?

The Vi 37 always looked good to me- though I've only seen it in pictures, never for real and I wouldn't spot an error on the 37 if my life depended on it, but it LOOKS the part to me.

...but it LOOKS the part to me.

I know you're referring to the Vi Trains 37 (selective quote warning!) but the same principle applies.

Hornby have two species of Class 31.  One is a well detailed model of a locomotive, with modern mechanicals at a well detailed model price.  The other is a represention of a locomotive with few frills and certain design mismatches (probably due to a combination of the least worn out pieces of tooling) at a considerably lower price.  If you're paying for the well detailed model, then there is an expectation that it bears a close resemblance in appearance and livery to its real-world counterpart.  If you want something that looks like a Class 31, the sort of "looks like" you get when you're waiting, cold and wet, for a train and one rumbles past, caked in dirt, on a goods working and you look at it and think, "oh a 31", then the Railroad 31 is perfectly adequate.

Its got Mirlees exhaust ports on an English Electric body?  From platform level, its not that obvious!

In other threads, we've had posts complaining that there's not much difference between main range and railroad models.  Here we have an example where there is a distinct difference between the offerings and people STILL complain!

You could always remotor the Class 37 using the Lima plastic chassis, but with a pair of Hornby Class 50 bogies,(each with integral gear 'tower)', drive shafts and motor. You'd have to do a bit of hacking to make a hole for the second bogie's tower to go through, along with a pivot for each bogie, and devise a cradle to retain the motor, but it's easily do-able. Here's a link for the relevant Class 50 service sheet:-

http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/view/index/cat/22/ I've re-motored a few ex-Lima locos by this method; at least with the Class 50, you don't have to swap sideframes with something else.

I'm not sure what the relevance is to the Vi 37, but you make some interesting observations about the 31.

The Hornby 31 is certainly detailed and has a good drive system, no disagreement. I am not sure it is fair though to suggest that the RR version is a 'representation'- which implies that the H 31 is more accurate.

There are many highly respected people on this forum and others that would suggest that the reverse is true. Whilst I am not in their league in terms of improving the basic item, I share their opinions that the Lima 31 (and thus the RR31) is a better starting point.

But your viewpoint compared to mine illustrates quite well I think the difficulty Hornby has; make it too different= criticism. Make it too similar=criticism.

But as we all know, each to our own. I only looked at the RR31 as I didn't want to take a scalpel to my last L31 as I think it's historically important to keep one 'as is', but it looks like the RR31 will need a fair bit of work doing to make it right.

Interesting commenst though, Hroth.

I know you're referring to the Vi Trains 37 (selective quote warning!) but the same principle applies.

Hornby have two species of Class 31.  One is a well detailed model of a locomotive, with modern mechanicals at a well detailed model price.  The other is a represention of a locomotive with few frills and certain design mismatches (probably due to a combination of the least worn out pieces of tooling) at a considerably lower price.  If you're paying for the well detailed model, then there is an expectation that it bears a close resemblance in appearance and livery to its real-world counterpart.  If you want something that looks like a Class 31, the sort of "looks like" you get when you're waiting, cold and wet, for a train and one rumbles past, caked in dirt, on a goods working and you look at it and think, "oh a 31", then the Railroad 31 is perfectly adequate.

Its got Mirlees exhaust ports on an English Electric body?  From platform level, its not that obvious!

In other threads, we've had posts complaining that there's not much difference between main range and railroad models.  Here we have an example where there is a distinct difference between the offerings and people STILL complain!

If you are going to that level of expense, is it not worth just buying the Bach version? (unless you have sentimental attachment of course). The reason I say that in contrast to the L31 points above is that the 37 is reputed to have a number of serious errors- it looks fine to me, but... and I wondered if it that is worth it for a less than perfect body. (that is a question and not an argument/accusation btw)

You could always remotor the Class 37 using the Lima plastic chassis, but with a pair of Hornby Class 50 bogies,(each with integral gear 'tower)', drive shafts and motor. You'd have to do a bit of hacking to make a hole for the second bogie's tower to go through, along with a pivot for each bogie, and devise a cradle to retain the motor, but it's easily do-able. Here's a link for the relevant Class 50 service sheet:-

http://www.Hornby.com/downloads/view/index/cat/22/ I've re-motored a few ex-Lima locos by this method; at least with the Class 50, you don't have to swap sideframes with something else.

• RMweb Gold

The main issue with the latest Hornby 31 is around the cab windows. On the prototype they are recessed slightly - the Lima model (and thus derived railroad version) captures this much better. Whilst the latest Hornby model has much better detailing, the fundamental shape is not as good. If you're not frightened of Carving into a model then the Lima version is the best starting point to get a better looking 31.

Neil

If you are going to that level of expense, is it not worth just buying the Bach version? (unless you have sentimental attachment of course). The reason I say that in contrast to the L31 points above is that the 37 is reputed to have a number of serious errors- it looks fine to me, but... and I wondered if it that is worth it for a less than perfect body. (that is a question and not an argument/accusation btw)

I already had several Lima bodies that had been tarted up, and didn't want to just throw them away. Another got a Vi-Trains chassis, when they were available seperately; these were at what I considered a reasonable price, unlike the 47 chassis, which I never saw for less than £50.

Yes- I think JWS and James shared many similarities in the way they went about it. I'm not sure which one was first, but both very well done indeed.

BTW having just seen the next release of RR 31's, the body parts DO all match up, so that answers the question as to whether the last one was an accident or deliberate to push people to the more expensive one.

• RMweb Gold

BTW having just seen the next release of RR 31's, the body parts DO all match up, so that answers the question as to whether the last one was an accident or deliberate to push people to the more expensive one.

There are lots of little deliberate mistakes on the more prototypical models in that range, presumably for exactly that reason.

Yes, that's what people were saying earlier about the RR31- but oddly that doesn't apply now to the NEW RR31 release. So either Hornby have had a change of heart (!) or they just simply made a mistake in the first place.

My money is on the latter as with the work you need to do to the RR31, if that is designed to dis-suade a modeller, then it won't work as anyone competent enough to detail it will also be competent enough to repair the defects.

There are lots of little deliberate mistakes on the more prototypical models in that range, presumably for exactly that reason.

Archived