Signal Boxes with "Wing Mirrors" ?.

Ceptic

Last Sunday, I embarked on a mission down Dorset way, to photograph one of the last remaining L&SWR Type 3 Signal Boxes once controlling a level crossing in the county...(Due for demolition,...very shortly).

post-7009-0-17581900-1422622649_thumb.jpg

What caught my eye, was the (self-explanatory) exterior mirror, positioned to check on approaching road traffic from the Box's blind spot,....I.e...Pre-CCTV  Eyes on yer six,.. so to speak.

What's prompted my question here, is this. I've recently bought a photo of the Bournemouth West station's Signal Box from the Bluebell Railway's Photographic Archive http://photos.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/

It appears to show an exterior mirror mounted at the 'country end' LH rear corner of box (Far RH end of photo), 

What would be the purpose of this ?.

Thumbnail preview here,

http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/archive/photos/jjs/b09/9-96-12.htm

My thoughts......Possibly?, providing a view back at the station's traffic / platforms / roads / signal lamp back-lights ?. ....Remembering  that the box had windows at the 'station' end, also.

Harking back to topic. Were / are there any other examples of signal boxes fitted with exterior mirrors and for what purpose ?

Cheers.

post-7009-0-67847600-1422561646_thumb.jpg

Were / are there any other examples of signal boxes fitted with exterior mirrors and for what purpose ?

I think Haydon Bridge (Newcastle / Carlisle) also had a mirror to assist observing traffic approaching the crossing.

In this case, the road approaching from straight behind has a side road making a T junction immediately behind the box

My favourite mirror was at West River gate box between Ely Dock and Waterbeach. The road was a dead end so traffic was minimal. The mirror was on the rear internal wall of the box and was arranged so the crossing keeper could see the block indicators. To actually get a line of sight one had to be in deep slumber position in the comfy chair. sitting upright wouldn't work.

Sorry Frank, I'm getting a 'web-page can't be found', on the first, and 'not found' message on the second of your links.

Paul

Apologies are definitely needed all round from this end. Paul.

Checked post / links beforehand, looked ok.

Upon viewing forum, not so.

Now giving the original post (and this one) some edit.

PS

I think I've fixed it. Sorry for the c**k up

Is it this one ? http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/archive/photos/jjs/b09/9-96-12.htm

If it's a mirror there may not be a 'railway' reason at all. My first thought on seeing that pic was that it was there so the signalman could keep an eye on his car parked the other side of that fence.

That's the one...........A Signalman owning a car !!???.  On his sort of money ??. More likely his push-bike. 

Apologies are definitely needed all round from this end. Paul.

Checked post / links beforehand, looked ok.

Upon viewing forum, not so.

Now giving the original post (and this one) some edit.

PS

I think I've fixed it. Sorry for the c**k up

Ah, my nearest railway station - Wool, I shall be goin' past there this evening, on the way to a nice evening at the Weld Arms in East Lulworth. Nice one Frank. :-)

Ah, my nearest railway station - Wool, I shall be goin' past there this evening, on the way to a nice evening at the Weld Arms in East Lulworth. Nice one Frank. :-)

Wool it is, Paul.

Soon to go MIA.  The only box of this type, left standing, will be the difficult to access 'Grade 2' listed box at Bournemouth West Junction.

The most recent to go, in this stretch of line's re-signalling up-grade, was the platform mounted box at Hamworthy (Junction).

Dorchester South, being of later build, is to remain,   by all accounts.

Have a pint for me ,.......

Cheers & Good Health 

My favourite mirror was at West River gate box between Ely Dock and Waterbeach. The road was a dead end so traffic was minimal. The mirror was on the rear internal wall of the box and was arranged so the crossing keeper could see the block indicators. To actually get a line of sight one had to be in deep slumber position in the comfy chair. sitting upright wouldn't work.

I've got a photo taken from the chair but i can't find who took it to ask permission to post it on here. I'll keep trying though.

I think Haydon Bridge (Newcastle / Carlisle) also had a mirror to assist observing traffic approaching the crossing.

In this case, the road approaching from straight behind has a side road making a T junction immediately behind the box

I'd second this ^.

The box shown in the OP is adjacent to a road junction and exits from Petrol Station and local businesses.  IIRC there is also a footpath that runs along the mirror side of the road.  The box also over looks a sharp right hander immediately after the crossing with a nasty junction off it.  Any traffic sat at the STOP Line for the crossing would actually be sat on a "Yellow Box"... so the mirror maybe for a "theoretical stop line" set some way back?

There is a lot going on traffic wise in a relatively small and traffic black spot area.  

It needed it with two roads converging just before the crossing

post-9992-0-82809000-1422726301_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

There is a lot going on traffic wise in a relatively small and traffic black spot area.  

You aint kidding, the main A352 between Wareham, and Weymouth, with the main turn off to Lulworth Cove, it's hell in holiday season.

Archived