BIZARRE TRACK-WIRING PROBLEM

Popsicle49

Hello, I need to pick some brains if poss please; I think I'm going nuts.. This is a newly-constructed analogue N gauge layout using PECO 80 track and insulfrog points throughout. The attached diagram shows the problem.  At extreme left a loco is reversing from the main line onto track 2 to using the L/H points A. The R/H points B are set straight on to to the end of track 2. The L/H points C are also set to track 2 so effectively, track 3 should be isolated as the R/H points D are switched to main line.  A loco is parked on track 3.  As soon as the loco hits the L/H points A, the loco parked on track 3 starts to move. With points C&D set to other tracks how is power (all of which is coming from the mainline L) reaching track 3?

There are no power attachment on the sidings, all power is from the mainline L and is shown as small arrows.  Reversing the power sees both locos move but the loco on track 3 stops moving when the other loco clears the points A!!  (The track at the top is track 1, I just didn't write it but it's out of the equation anyway.  many thanks in advance. Popsicle 49

post-20119-0-20366400-1422629082_thumb.jpg

If the left hand point A is set to access track 2, power is being supplied via the frog.  If you follow that through you will see that will feed the lower line of of track 3.  With point D set to any position, that is feeding the upper track on line 3 which is why the loco moves.  To stop that make a break in the lower line of track 3 next to point B.  Line 3 will then only be fed when point D is set to track 3.

Not sure if this is going to help (or confuse things more!)

post-3744-0-92205800-1422632761.jpg

Agree with Gordon above, but if putting a break in at left end only, then this means that you have to have point D set to siding if you want to enter from the other (left) end.

If you break it both ends and then use a switch to select power from either Left or right ends, then that removes that limitation.

A three way (centre off) switch would allow you to isolate totally from both ends.

Dave

edit two remove duplicate image!

If the left hand point A is set to access track 2, power is being supplied via the frog.  If you follow that through you will see that will feed the lower line of of track 3.  With point D set to any position, that is feeding the upper track on line 3 which is why the loco moves.  To stop that make a break in the lower line of track 3 next to point B.  Line 3 will then only be fed when point D is set to track 3.

Thanks very much Gordon, I'm indebted to you.  One thing though - I don't understand why the parked loco on track 3 doesn't move until the loco reversing from the main line crosses points A?

Not sure if this is going to help (or confuse things more!)

attachicon.gifwiring layout.jpg

Agree with Gordon above, but if putting a break in at left end only, then this means that you have to have point D set to siding if you want to enter from the other (left) end.

If you break it both ends and then use a switch to select power from either Left or right ends, then that removes that limitation.

A three way (centre off) switch would allow you to isolate totally from both ends.

Dave

edit two remove duplicate image!

Thanks very much Dave, appreciate that.  I still can't understand why the loco parked on track 3 only moves when the reversing loco crosses points A? Any ideas\?

Surely you have the same problem.  There is no power to the upper line of track 3 unless point B is set to access track 3.  If you have a long train in track 2, it may be necessary to leave point B in the straight ahead position and then you have no feed to the upper line of track 3.

It's a little like 2 way switching of room lighting and Shadow's solution allows you to do that irrespective of which way the points are set.

I can't work out why the loco on 3 does not move without the other loco hitting the points as as soon as points A are set to the left track 3 gets the upper rail fed from the right hand end and the lower from point A when ever it is set to the left.

If yiu stick to movements which are anything remotely prototypical a single isolator part way along the lower rail of track 3 should solve the problem, ok you can't run a train along 3 against the points D but why would you want to?

I was assuming the layout was a continuous run,

However if it is only fed from the left hand end and if the engine in road 3 only moves when the other loco is actually on point A I reckon the fault is the back of the loco wheels rubbing against the point blade on point A.  If I am right setting point D to road 3 should stop it, as would Shadows suggestion and the single isolator as log as the loco was the D end of siding 3.   I have this problem on some old Peco curved points in my hidden sidings, they are live frog and the  sparks as Duchess of Montrose passes  through at speed are quite impressive

• RMweb Premium

One thing you need to realise, is that when insulfrog points are used, that feature relies on the convention that points are fed from the heel of points, or a group of points.

When you start building more complex track formations, then as you have discovered, back feeds come into play and can be very confusing.

Basically, when the toe of points face each other (regardless of distance separating them), then you need to insulate them. The exact location of this insulation, very much depends on the configuration & how you intend to run the trains. DavidCBroad, asked if you track layout is a continuous run. That's a very good way of 'sneaky' back feeds and as I mentioned, the distance, could be very long & not easily spotted if your track plan is complex.

I had a similar problem with two locos moving at once. I had skimped the insulated joiners between the frog and the siding. The frog was powered by blade contact. This should make the rails on the siding set by the points plus and minus. The other track should have both rails the same and any loco parked there should not move.

When a loco is driven into the other siding all is well until it has passed onto the switch rails. Then if the electrical contact of the switch rail is weak. The current flows from the stock rail to the frog through the parked loco as it becomes the easiest path. Both locos then moving. It took me some while to figure it out.

• RMweb Premium

I had a similar problem with two locos moving at once. I had skimped the insulated joiners between the frog and the siding. The frog was powered by blade contact. This should make the rails on the siding set by the points plus and minus. The other track should have both rails the same and any loco parked there should not move.

When a loco is driven into the other siding all is well until it has passed onto the switch rails. Then if the electrical contact of the switch rail is weak. The current flows from the stock rail to the frog through the parked loco as it becomes the easiest path. Both locos then moving. It took me some while to figure it out.

This only occurs on live frog points, with insulfrog points the two rails are NOT at the same polarity for a siding, but one side is electrically dead.

The problem you are seeing is the loco shorting something on the chassis or the back of a wheel to the switch rail on point A as it passes applying power to the top rail of the main line. Changing the other point in the main line should stop it happening until you fix the cause of the problem.

Again, thank you to all. My ambitions have clearly dwarfed my capabilities and the nub of the problem is my assuming that insulfrog points are completely insulated and that's that - clearly it's a significant misunderstanding.  In answer to some posts, power comes from both ends and the points at A are new so I assume there shouldn't be probs. I'll work through your observations and re-post as appropriate, Sorry I'm not familiar with the terms heel and toe when describing points.  I really appreciate the detail to which everybody has gone; I've learned a lot and am v frateful. Popsicle49

• RMweb Premium

Again, thank you to all. My ambitions have clearly dwarfed my capabilities and the nub of the problem is my assuming that insulfrog points are completely insulated and that's that - clearly it's a significant misunderstanding.  In answer to some posts, power comes from both ends and the points at A are new so I assume there shouldn't be probs. I'll work through your observations and re-post as appropriate, Sorry I'm not familiar with the terms heel and toe when describing points.  I really appreciate the detail to which everybody has gone; I've learned a lot and am v frateful. Popsicle49

Thanks to Gordon S, I've learnt something & deleted my wrong information. :no:

Sorry Kevin, it's the other way round. The toe end is the single track end. The heel has the two diverging tracks. You feed power to the toe end.....

http://www.gauge0guild.com/manual/02_D2_2_1_1.pdf

The visual clue comes from holding it side on. The two tracks take the appearance of the shin/ankle going down towards the toe. Looking at it flat on the trackbed is what causes the confusion.....

Sorry Kevin, it's the other way round. The toe end is the single track end. The heel has the two diverging tracks. You feed power to the toe end.....

http://www.gauge0guild.com/manual/02_D2_2_1_1.pdf

The visual clue comes from holding it side on. The two tracks take the appearance of the shin/ankle going down towards the toe. Looking at it flat on the trackbed is what causes the confusion.....

The convention is that power is fed to the "Toe" of the points, but actually power is fed to the stock rails, the outermost rails of the points, whether Live frog or Dead frog.   I often feed power to the stock rails at the heel end of points simply to shorten the feed wires.

Archived