Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Detailing a GWR-style Hornby 0-4-0

I was feeling quite inspired by the guide to detailing the Hornby Pug in the last edition of Model Rail. I thought that I might have a go at it myself, thinking I had a spare one from the Hornby Collectors Club years back. Annoyingly, I've only just had the opportunity to check and the ones I in fact have spare are the GWR style 0-4-0s (see attached image; apologies for the quality - my camera is currently at the other side of the country, so it's a phone job).

Does anyone have any tips or guides for detailing these models?

The obvious areas for improvements are adding glass to the spectacle windows, maybe sanding down and replacing the moulded handrail with a wire one, adding proper lamp irons and repainting.

post-8348-12658192119774_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

This is in fact a remarkably accurate model of a little known loco built in 1902 by the GWR as an experimental oil burner, rebuilt later to burn coal and scrapped in 1911. There is a fairly detailed drawing in Jim Russell's "Pictorial record of Great Western Locomotives". My son rebuilt one of these models with correct frames and valve gear (a form of Joy gear) some years ago - i'll post a photo if I can find one.

Michael Edge

Archived