RMweb

Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

My browser is Firefox and its Adblock Plus. I know they make a plug-in (or add-on) for Chrome as well. There are some websites that won't allow you in using an ad-blocker, mostly newspapers or other media but if I want a particular new story I just go elsewhere.

Top one:
Image9.jpg.55895f6e2526ae9ccd8452d28eed113a.jpg

/end. Apologies to everyone for hi-jacking the thread. Back to the trains!

1654029255_MidlandRailwaySingle1896byMikeJeffries.jpg.9e0a5709adf170ea1f04495f64b9fd4d.jpg

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

OK, point taken.  I get a great deal of enjoyment out of RMW and if adverts are necessary, so be it.  However, I would be happy to pay a subscription if that is what is required to keep it going.

Derek I got fed up with them and as I had a digital subscription to Garden rail  swapped that with some extra cash and pay a subscrition to world of railways. I get Gold membership of RMWEB - no adverts and digital access to BRM and Gardenrail  for £70 quid less than the price of one coffee a week.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Any of you fellas sending me pm’s, I can’t get at them.  There is a broad band of emptiness along the top of the page, which stops me getting at them.

Best use my email address for now until things are sorted.

It is          dando22@btinternet.com

Derek

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 12/12/2021 at 22:41, Mrkirtley800 said:

Any of you fellas sending me pm’s, I can’t get at them.  There is a broad band of emptiness along the top of the page, which stops me getting at them.

Best use my email address for now until things are sorted.

It is          dando22@btinternet.com

Derek

You haven't by accident hit the F11 key on your keyboard have you? I wonder if that would do it as it hides the browsers upper toolbars. Of course I may be wrong but its something you can try.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have one in the process of being rebuilt Derek. They were designed for the Ancorbridge DS10 motor. Mine too has a better chassis and a 1220 mashima with flywheel. I believe I used Gibson mainframes and conrods it is also beam compensated with Perseverance components. 

Regards Lez. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully I can call in and see you and Olga when we are at Robin Hoods Bay at Easter Derek.. 

Have a good 2022 and I wish you and Olga good health for the coming year!

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Derek. What a lovely little open cab. Just to join the party, this is my S7 version taken a couple of years ago on my embryonic layout. They are some of my favourite Midland engines.

A very happy new year to you and Olga and I hope to be able to see your model in the flesh one day.

P1050678.JPG.4e068f0757205048e954dda60039ce65.JPG

All the best.

Dave

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Somebody needs to work out how to build a working chassis:

970893864_Midland1377ClassNo.1092WIP.JPG.f04e15644cfb882f790c1efdfc5a5b84.JPG

... along with soldering neatly and all that sort of thing.

No. 1092 is marked with a ? in Summerson for its 1899-1902 allocation but is in a batch of five Derby-built engines the rest of which were at Birmingham or Burton at that time and all at Birmingham in May 1908.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Stephen,  yes I realise my locomotive allocation might be a bit wayward, the 0-4-4WT was mainly London based although there is a photo of one on a train in Derbyshire.

Kirkby Malham is (or was when I used to pass through) a beautiful village, but did not have a railway.   So why not stretch imagination and use any locomotive that appeals.

The 0-4-4 WT is a particular favourite, being built way back in 1966, as was my Kirtley goods (the crimson one).

The information available then was pretty limited, so if we built an out of the way engine, we may not get it right, and that is the case in a few of my efforts at that time.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Stephen,  yes I realise my locomotive allocation might be a bit wayward, the 0-4-4WT was mainly London based although there is a photo of one on a train in Derbyshire.

That's a good enough excuse for me to run the one I am building on my layout. Any chance of its number Derek?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Kirkby Malham is (or was when I used to pass through) a beautiful village, but did not have a railway.   So why not stretch imagination and use any locomotive that appeals.

The 0-4-4 WT is a particular favourite, being built way back in 1966, as was my Kirtley goods (the crimson one).

The information available then was pretty limited, so if we built an out of the way engine, we may not get it right, and that is the case in a few of my efforts at that time.

Derek

No criticism was intended! Simply that when faced with choosing one from a large class, the allocations given by Summerson are a useful tool for narrowing the field.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 2 (Irwell Press, 2007) p. 112: "Nos.1206 and 1208 had gone to Gloucester by 1909 where they were used on goods duties, not being fitted with carriage warming and were to be found on Tewkesbury and Malvern branch duties. No. 1208 returned to Kentish Town by 1914 but the former remained at Gloucester until broken up in December 1928." Also: "Between December 1921 and February 1922, Nos. 1200-2 moved to Manningham and 1207-9 to Skipton. All had had their condensing gear removed some years previously."

He seems to have missed the earlier transfer of No. 1215 (ex 789) to Skipton for the Kirkby Malham branch. Of that engine, he does say that around 1912 it went to Derby as works shunter.

• Like 3