timber/sleeper built country halt platforms

westerhamstation

• RMweb Gold

I am going to build a model of a country halt on the Southern Railway in Kent which has a timber platform that runs the length of the platform.

My questions are, would the planks be staggered along the length of the platform, and what materials and dimensions would the planks be.

I wondered if sleepers may have been used to construct the surface of the platform.

The first picture is of the halt that I am going to model, and the second is the best picture of the type of construction that was used, but I can't get any positive dimensions from it.

Any information will be of a great help many thanks Adrian.

post-17489-0-87274000-1422871657.jpg

post-17489-0-70617200-1422871667.jpg

Those timbers are a bit thin to be sleepers, unless they've been cut in half: more likely, they're something like 8" x 3". Most examples of surfaces like that I've seen have the joints staggered. Where in the West Midlands are you? I think there's a couple of stations on the Wolves- Shrewsbury line that have platforms constructed in this manner; Cosford, perhaps?

I can't help with SR practice, but some dimensions from a couple of GWR halts might give a rough guide. Decking 12"x3" or 9"x3", horizontal joists 6"x6" or 9"x3", verticals 6"x6" or 10"x5" (sleepers?), and diagonals 41/4"x31/2" or 5"x5". Looking at your second photo, I get the impression that the timbers are at least as heavy as the higher figures here.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian and Nick, many thanks for responding so quickly, all that information gives me something I can work to. You can't beat the people on RMweb for positive help so freely given.

So it's off now with scalpel and razor saw in hand to build a halt. all the best and thank you Adrian.

Archived