Updating my Elite

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

i am trying to update my elite to the latest firmware version and have no idea how. this is the first time i have updated it. Can someone simplify it please lol. Does the Elite need to be turned on or just connected to the computer?

Thanks

Hi all

i am trying to update my elite to the latest firmware version and have no idea how. this is the first time i have updated it. Can someone simplify it please lol. Does the Elite need to be turned on or just connected to the computer?

Thanks

Hi.

It's not the easiest thing to update but definitely worth doing.

All I did was follow the enclosed "How to update the ELITE-141- W7.pdf" step by step and it worked first time.  This procedure is aimed at Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 users.  Note that there is a separate procedure for Windows XP users.

You'll find these procedures within the ZIP file "Elite-v1.41-Update-050812.zip" that is downloaded from the Hornby website.

Good luck.

Steve

You should download the Elite update package (Currently v1.41) from the Hornby website. Part of that package is a comprehensive guide to installation on various platforms - as Steve says you should read and follow that guide to the letter.

In essence you have the update .exe file to hand, then with the elite unplugged you press and hold the big red button, then plug in the power supply unit jack to the Elite. After 15 seconds release the red button and after another 15 seconds plug in your USB cable (direct from the laptop, not via a hub). Wait another 15 seconds and install the .exe. You will need to know which comm port your Elite is connected to and this is seen under Device Manager - Hardware - Ports.

There is a fair bit of reading to do with respect to how to load which drivers if your laptop doesn't do it correctl7y on its own - its all in the guide.

Personally I have never got any update to work from Win 8.1 on an HP desktop machine, so I have to resort to using an old XP machine. Other people have updated without any problems so in my case its obviously an HP driven thing.

There is a comprehensive guide on the Hornby Forums and lots of people have gone down the same route as you and succeeded.

If all else fails you can send it to Hornby and they will do it for you.

@Hilux

So which version of Windows do you have that isn't covered in the Hornby guides, as I can see everything covered from XP to Win 8.1.

Even if Win 10 then some beta testers have reported back to Hornby Railmaster that it works OK.

• RMweb Premium

I can't find any instructions for windows 8.1. The downloaded files only shown instructions for Windows XP, and up to Windows 7. I followed the windows 7 instructions but when I open the device manager after connecting the Elite there should be an "Other Devices" folder but there isn't.

It will be under PORTS, but may not be identified as an Elite as used to be the case.

The simple test is to unplug the Elite and spot what in the DM list has disappeared. Plug it in again and see what has reappeared. This is your COMM port number to use in the Elite update.

To be fair the installer does a pretty good job of pointing to the Elite Comm port anyhow..

Archived