Coventry Railcar

For more info on the Micheline type 22, which I think is pretty similar to the Coventry railcar, try herein Loco Revue magazine November 1989

http://fr.1001mags.com/parution/loco-revue/numero-520-novembre-1989

This website is a good resource for finding old articles, wish there was something similar for UK magazines.

One problem with website is that it can be slow. I have downloaded a few magazines in the past, in fact I am waiting for the above to download now. Best to only do one magzine at a time, and then yo copy to your computer with 48 hours or it is lost. Same process as is used to transfer large files elsewhere, I had some drawings from HMRS done in similar way.

I have found that it does appear to stick, but if you open another window you can log in ans se magazine, click on it and download as a pdf. I have just had to do this and it worked fine. Magazine now on compiuter, and it only cost 1 euro 16 cents. They add a small charge for paypal. You will need to set up an acount first.

It ould not surprise me if there was not more infion other Micheline railcars. Magazines go all the way back to 1930s, but war time ones mssing.

Only just discovered this thread, but perhaps someone can suggest an answer to a question that has puzzled me.

If pneumatic-tired railcars had been widely adopted, how would they have coped with the introduction of track circuiting? you could I suppose include a steel-tyred wheelset but would that be adequate, given that things like 03/04 diesel shunters often didn't show up on the track circuits (and so were often attached to a runner vehicle).

It also appears, from an extract from Bill Simpson's Oxford to Cambridge Railway (vol.1) that the type 9 also had a problem with fog detonators. One foggy day it was reported as passing over four of them without triggering any. Did Michelin invent the world's first Stealth Railcar?

The problem of railcars being too lightweight to activate signals etc still exists. I had heard they were having to run heavier trains on line from Beziers northwards becaue of this, which has not helped with costs.

I can understand if it was a mechanical problem, but electronic activation should not now be a problem. I think a bigger problem is having quiet trains which could catch out rail workers.

Archived