Older series HAG Re 4/4 motor servicing help please

Chas Levin

• RMweb Premium

Hello all, attached are three pictures of a HAG motor - it's from an older series Swiss Re 4/4 though I'm sure it's used in various of their models! On the side is printed INCA and the part number 16.8202.00. Can anyone please offer some guidance as to the best way to dismantle it to perform a routine service, clean the commutator gaps etc? I don't want to undo the wrong screws and be faced with trying to reassemble things that need never have been taken apart. I've successfully dealt with some Hornby ringfield motors but I had the Service Sheets for those to hand. It runs rather erratically, sometimes needs a push to get going and I'm pretty sure it just needs a good clean. I've had a look through Hag's site but they don't have any documentation for these older models that I can see; I've emailed them too but with no response so far. I'd also like to replace the brushes: can anyone recommend a supplier for spares please?

post-23465-0-44370100-1422996142.jpg

post-23465-0-16085000-1422996143.jpg

post-23465-0-54664200-1422996143.jpg

Thanks in advance, Chas

• RMweb Premium

May I suggest to pose this question over on the Swissrail e-group (at yahoo). I've been a member for over a decade, but as the majority of stuff that's posted is of little interest to me I haven't been there in ages!

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SwissRail/

HTH!

Thanks Dutch_Master, I might well try that as I joined it recently, but the vast majority of traffic I've seen there has been about full-size rather than model. I'm also a member of the Swiss Rail Society but there's seems to be very little traffic on their Forum so I thought I'd try here first,

Chas

• RMweb Premium

There are some HAG engines - mostly Re460s - in the attic - I might be able to drag out a service sheet the next time I'm up there.

Thanks Horsetan, any help appreciated! There are a variety of Service Sheets on Hag's site for the newer models but none resembling what I have, that I've seen so far - though if anyone knows where I can download older sheets please do let me know.

I think the motor will be well worth the effort: when it runs, it's very powerful and very quiet, with a nice high-pitched but gentle whine, very smooth too when warmed up and at speed, just poor at start-up and at low speed,

Chas

• RMweb Premium

Yes you're right about the prices! I have two and both were bought second hand at considerably below the 250 mark. And, although they're of roughly similar vintage I believe, they have rather different looking motors.

I've just been taking another look through the available sheets - for their current models - on their website, and hopefully I can work out from those how to deal with this one. I thought the older models must be in fairly widespread use as they seem to turn up quite a lot on Ebay, but perhaps not.

Thanks again for your help, Chas

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Horsetan; I've looked at that one briefly before and though it too different a model and that there must be one specifically for the type I have, but looking again I see now that it should be similar enough to get me going - I shall have another try this weekend!

It's a funny thing about Hag: the motors, chassis and outer body are all absolutely superb (especially the fact that the outer body is metal, which seems to add a degree of weight and realism that plastic never quite does) but they're not big on interiors are they? I'd have thought if you were striving for realism and overall quality you would spend a little time (and a little of your profit margin) on that side of things too... :dontknow: Still, it presents a nice challenge to the modeller, to try and introduce a reasonably realistic looking interior yourself... 

Chas

Archived