Cinderella Locomotive?

R Marshall

Seen at Shildon on 3rd February 2015, this must be one of the unluckiest locomotives in "preservation". The picture doesn't do full justice to the poor condition of 65033.

Although it's at the NRM outstation, it's not in their ownership and not, therefore, their responsibility - this is not a dig at the NRM - if only it were theirs, because Shildon worked wonders with the A4 they restored cosmetically and with Churchill's Funeral Van.

Apparently "given away" by Beamish Museum to the LCLT.

65033 deserves at least a tarpaulin cover to keep off the worst ravages of the weather - how difficult/expensive can this be?

There must be other NER enthusiasts out there as disappointed as I am.

Roy Marshall

post-24552-0-88976300-1423233486_thumb.jpg

Whilst I agree that the current state of the loco isn't an ideal situation covered accommodation can be expensive and Shildon no doubt have their own items that take precedence. At least the loco is complete, has most of a coat of paint and a group that are working towards restoration, there are far worse examples of 'preservation' to be found around the country.

Nigel,

As I said, not a dig at Shildon in any way - they would take better care.

How much for a couple of tarpaulins from the owning trust?

As you say others in sad condition, but I wanted to raise the profile of this one.

I doubt it's complete. 

Regards,

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Agreed Roy

Its a shame to see a "preserved" loco in a poor state but at least its not under threat

Having seen what has been achieved with Barry wrecks then we shouldn't imagine the same cant be achieved with this one - wouldn't mind betting mechanically and boiler wise she is probably in pretty much Barry condition, and is very much a unique survivor - NER 0-6-0

Phil

... and is very much a unique survivor - NER 0-6-0

Phil

I'd say that the other surviving NER 0-6-0 is even more unique!

Personally, as long as the ultimate future of the loco isn't at risk, I'd rather be able to see a locomotive in the open like that than the form of a locomotive hidden under a tarpaulin. 

Nigel,

As I said, not a dig at Shildon in any way - they would take better care.

How much for a couple of tarpaulins from the owning trust?

As you say others in sad condition, but I wanted to raise the profile of this one.

I doubt it's complete. 

Regards,

Roy

The J21 was complete when steamed at Beamish in the 70's/80's and I have no reason to doubt that it isn't still complete - the fittings are probably safely in store somewhere, ready for restoration to start. The owning trust has started to get somewhere with the Heritage Lottery fund after quite a few rejected applications so I'd say that this loco has quite a positive future ahead of it. From what I have been told, the loco is very tired, and much of what you can see (eg boiler, platework) will need major repairs or replacement, so a short spell outside probably won't do that much more harm.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Provided the boiler is sound, the cylinders aren't badly worn, and the tyres have enough 'meat' left on them then in reality 'all that is really needed will be replacing some platework, probably re-tubing, probably remetalling bearings, and putting all the pipework and fittings back.  Judging by the sort of timescale they have mentioned (if they get the funding) they either can't be faced with anything too serious or they haven't checked what they need to do - and I hope it's not the latter. 

Provided the boiler is sound, the cylinders aren't badly worn, and the tyres have enough 'meat' left on them then in reality 'all that is really needed will be replacing some platework, probably re-tubing, probably remetalling bearings, and putting all the pipework and fittings back.  Judging by the sort of timescale they have mentioned (if they get the funding) they either can't be faced with anything too serious or they haven't checked what they need to do - and I hope it's not the latter. 

Hi All,

While I agree with the majority of this, the elephant in the room is always the boiler and you don't know what you have got to do UNTIL you lift it... Having said that, I seem to remember that this engine has been reassembled from a pre overhaul examination state (in which it languished for several years) to transport and display. I think that the owning group probably therefore have a pretty good idea of what is needed but the insurance engineer will be ultimately the sole arbiter of that...

It is the good work of the new owning society that have brought it to attention of the steam community and are in the process of organising the forthcoming overhaul. As Mike says, it always looks far worse before it gets better with these type of things so all power to the guys looking after it and I hope it comes together for them sooner rather than later. Even replacing tyres isn't the drama it used to be. Remember that not too long ago the steaming of a certain Churchward era locomotive was vetoed on the basis that it had thin tyres... In the mean time, it's on a secure site, all the 'weathering' you can see is largely inconsequential in the terms of the wider overhaul and it shouldn't be the most massive job in the world to make it go again. It's all doable! I hope we see it run at 81E sometime...

All the best,

Castle

It has been a long hard road to try and get this loco overhauled. It does require a lot of work and in spite of it's history, it has taken a lot of work with the Heritage Lottery Fund to make progress towards gaining a grant to help get it back to working order. It does seem that there is a real chance of a better future. The loco has led a charmed existence for many years and hopefully there is now light at the end of the tunnel. I do hope so.

Paper work often, and especially in cases related to the heritage lottery fund, is a big reason for the slow progress. It's only natural that as one of the biggest charities operating in the UK they'd like to keep their nose clean of some of the perhaps less savory sides of the financial dealings of preservation projects, they need to know their money is going to line the pockets of a restoration project and not an unscrupulous individual or group there of.

This also explains the time lapse experienced by first time applicants for funding such as the LCLT, organizations that have been around longer and had past successful applications will know what they need to do. 

Eventually it will be restored, eventually.

Also the inorganic nature of the passing on of skills needs a mention here, in the past skills were handed down to whoever could show up most often and learn from the older members of whatever effort was under way. This is approaching it as far as I can make out from the description of their aims from completely the other direction, where young people are paired with someone to learn a skill and the pairing isn't natural or formed out of love of the machine or the process, it is formed of possible desire to have a job, make money, things other than to do the best job possible restoring the loco.

The loco and the love of it used to be the center piece for everyone to gather round, this though seems all together more forced.

Well I had another and closer look yesterday - others there said it's got a large sum destined from the HLF. If so, well done LCLT.

There's a lot missing from between the loco frames (reversing gear, etc) - said to be in the tender - I hope this is the case - it would be amazing to see this loco steam at Kirkby Stephen East - J21s were regulars on the Stainmore route.

Oddly, it's carrying a 12D shed plate - which is the 1958 code for what had previously been 51H.

As far as I know, J21s never carried anything other than NE Region codes - if anyone knows better, I'd like to know.

Hopefully, when it's restored, this will be corrected - on the last J21 tour over the route it was coded 52F.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived