Simple remote control and power system for O gauge outdoor railway

tjrobinson

When we bought our house it came with an outdoor O gauge model railway which the previous owner had built. In other words, I have a model railway but know very little about them.

My plans for the model railway are a little less grand than the original owner's vision - I just want to keep it going, and occasionally be able to run a single train round it to entertain my young son.

The track runs through a small shed, which has mains power to standard wall sockets (RCD protected). The track power is provided by a DC power supply that gives out just under 16V when not under any load. And the controller is a Crest Train Engineer walk-around radio control system (CRE-55470).

The Train Engineer controller is technically very advanced but I actually want something much simpler to use and get going with. The process of "pairing" the controller with the receiver is really awkward and I have to re-learn it every time I use the track (only a few times a year).

Also, the power supply is very old, perhaps 1960's, metal shell, and I'm worried it may not be very safe anymore.

I'd like to replace the power supply and controller with something much simpler - ideally a single unit with a remote control handset with a few metres of cable so that I can stand outside the shed to control it. I don't want to have to worry about frequencies, multiple channels, PWC etc. All my stock is basic Lima.

Is anything like this available? Thanks!

• RMweb Premium

Hi! :declare:

I have to be careful here, as I am both a garden railway enthusiast, and work in the trade.  I use boiled water to make my trains go though, not electricity!

I suggest Gaugemaster worth a look for a controller, we should be stocking these soon, as we are in the process of obtaining a trade account with them (can I say that? Sorry mods, if not)

Another supplier is Helmsman, I have one of these at work, built like a battleship.  No idea if they are still trading, ours came from a friend.

Good luck, garden railways are addictive.....

post-10195-0-20694200-1423329966_thumb.jpg

post-10195-0-93193700-1423330014.jpg

• 1 month later...

Try  Helmsman  or  Morley  controls,  both  do  suitable  power  units  with  the  added  facility of  wired  remote  control  so  that  the  Unit can be  SAFELY SITED IN A  WEATHERPROOF  and DRY location  and  the  hand held unit used outside,  long cables  are avaiable.

I have used  gauge master 0  & G scale  controllers  but they have to be  used from an indoor situation ( for safety)  I was not happy  with their perfomance 1 failed within a few  weeks ( was repaired but   i sold  it!)

I have never had any probs  with  Gaugemaster for the  smaller scales  though.

PS  Morley  & Helmsman both  have  websites

Archived