LoCoG test track in County Durham

puddlejumper

Hi Guys

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but we have a 7mm finescale test track that is based in Locomotion at Shildon. We are having a running day on the 19th of Feb and if anyone is in the area and would like to pop along we would be delighted to see you. You are more than welcome to run your stock, all we ask is you make a small donation for the upkeep of the test track. If this is posted in the wrong place I'm sure the mods will move it to somewhere more appropriate. I will also keep you updated of future running dates.

Thanks

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Just a little bump and gentle reminder that this weekend 14th & 15th March, the 0 gauge test track will be up at Locomotion (The NRM at Shildon). Anyone in the area please pop along to see us and fetch some stock to give it a run out. Hope to see you there

Doug

Count me in for Saturday - just enough time to put my latest creation through the paintshop. J79 is finished and now DC / DCC compatible.

Tim

Great stuff Tim, look forward to seeing it. I believe you've also managed to get a bit of weight into that coach? Would love to see that running too.

See you Saturday

Are times for 14/15 th March the same as on the previous running days?

Yes we will be running from 10-4 on Saturday and 10-3ish on the Sunday. As I said this is the modelmotion weekend so there will be quite a bit of trade stuff around (mostly 4mm scale it has to be said) and at least one 7mm layout

Yes, 10 - 4 both days, part of the Model Motion weekend.

I've got some car wheel balancing weights, have attached them between the battery boxes but will bring spares along. Its coaches now, a 5 compartment brake coach has been painted and awaiting glazing, that's tomorrow night's task.

Hi Tim

I've got loads (approx 160kg) of lead sheet laid about.................(and no it wasn't acquired illegally) I'll bring you a slab for future use when weighting stuff

• RMweb Premium

Hello Guys,

I enjoyed trying out my Loco, the Midland Half Cab, at Shildon today, even though it had a few problems after successfully negotiating the circuit a few times at the outset.

You'll be aware that the model had shed a fixing screw and a crankpin nut, so I was grateful when Doug later handed me what we both thought were the missing items.

On returning home to assess the repairs required, I found I'd been handed what I think is a Romford type axle nut, which is definitely not from my loco. I'm sorry I didn't realise this before leaving Shildon

If any of the other owners has discovered this to be missing from one of their models and is in urgent need of recovering it, please contact me by posting here or send a PM if preferred, so I can pop it in the post.

Thanks again for the hospitality, conversation and assistance today.

Regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

Glad you enjoyed it and we are all looking forward to seeing you and your loco again.......

As for the Romford crank nut I think it may belong to Mike's loco, I don't think there will be any rush for it (he usually has a bagful of them!!!)

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply, I've looked at my loco and attended to the basic structural problems around the brake rigging, I'll need to check out the running problem more closely with fresh eyes and no time pressure.

The loco and I will return at some future opportunity.

Not splitting hairs here, but Just for clarity, it was my loco which lost a crank pin nut (about 12 or 14 BA nut I think) - I've found and fitted a replacement, but its a slotted Axle Nut that I have in my care should Mike or anyone else be missing it.

John   

Edit - Case error

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Puddlejumper & Co,

Hi Doug,

Thanks once more for the warm welcome and again allowing me to try the Midland Open Cab model loco on the test track yesterday. After the initial 'dirty wheels' problem had been resolved, I was relieved to see the model perform quite well in the presence of friends who had come along especially to see it run.

It made for an enjoyable few hours and I'll bring the loco along again when one mate, who couldn't make it on Sunday, can get through to Locomotion.

Regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

Glad you enjoyed it John, just out of curiosity are you a member of the 0 gauge guild??

No Doug, I'm not in the O Gauge Guild. As I've mentioned, the Midland tank is my only model in 'O' gauge and, especially in view of the *unusual circumstances by which I came by it,  there's no forseeable prospect of adding to it.

My main model railway interest is 'OO' gauge models, of which I have a substantial number and to which I hope to add next weekend.

I've been happy to get the experience with a larger scale model and am grateful for the opportunity to get some meaningful running at Shildon.

I trust someone collected the small donation I left yesterday.

* see my account "Completing a part built model in 7mm scale" on RMWeb.

Regards,

John

Archived